“An ever blossoming hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Anastasia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stalis, Crete 70007, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 53 hotels in Stalis
North East England
“An ever blossoming hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

Ok. I have watched over the years this hotel evolve from a small hidden treasure to a slightly expanded family orientated friendly hotel. The management should be very proud of themselves.

Every year the management strive to improve on the previous year and above all do everything possible to ensure the guests have a fabulous time.

Obviously in the school holidays, the hotel gets busier with familys returning year on year in the knowledge that it is a safe haven for their children. Most families stay around the bar in the evening because the children all play so well together and there is always something going on. Outside of school holidays it revolves back to that hidden treasure. Mind I should point out, even in the height of summer, sunbeds are in abundance and you don't have to get up at 5am to "reserve" one. Obviously the pool is busier, kids love water! (but there is another pool just over the road which is quieter)

Music is played at the poolbar, however, if it wasn't to my taste, I would either (a) put my ipod on or (b) ask for it to be changed, which they often did without a problem. You can't please everyone all of the time, and its nice to have some background music.

To be honest, I think they have the entertainment spot on. Low key most nights, quizzes, bingo, then a little more up tempo, games evening is always fun, the legendary kareoke night and of course the classic greek night. oh yes and kids disco 3 nights a week. This year there was an addition - Three mystic men. Very funny, very entertaining. However, if there was full on entertainment like that everynight, the hotel would lose its charm - but a brilliant addition nonetheless.

The food is mainly typically greek, but as they say, when in Rome!!!! Personally I love it. The salads are fab and there is always a wide choice of main meals, with english options and kids options. The kids love the buffet both at breakfast and in the evening - and I have 1 fussy little girl!!!!!

The half board package prices of this hotel for a family is often cheaper than some self catering prices.. .you can't grumble at that!

The staff are a complete credit to Mixalis, they work tirelessly to ensure guests are happy and that there are no problems. Nothing is EVER too much trouble for them.

Unfortunately its a fact of life, if you want to keep a room on in any hotel after the book out time, there is a cost attached, afterall cleaners may have to work later.......and you also get your evening mean included in the price at Anastasia.

Guests are ALWAYS made to feel welcome at this hotel, next year will be our 9th time I think? Our children have grown up with summers in Crete, have made some amazing friends and have some fabulous memories.

This is not the hotel to go to if you want full on animated entertainment everynight. If you like a mixture of laid back and more full on, then this is the place for you. Evenings are spent relaxing, getting to know other families and for the kids to enjoy themselves.

Kids club is 6 days per week, 11-1 then 4-6 and very reasonably prices at 2 euros per child per session. Kayleigh... you were fab!!!!!

Can I turn to the prices in the hotel? The lunch time menu was expansive and very competitvely priced. The alcohol, as you would expect of ANY hotel was more expensive than in Stalis, however, you are safe in the knowledge that the drinks are not watered down or have chemicals added to them. In addition, there is happy hour (and a half!) twice a day where lots of drinks are 3 for 2. Long drinks - you get lots of spirit, so much in fact that I had to split them! Is 3euro 50 alot of a large beer....which is bigger than the ones you get in the town? I found that the bottles were roughly the same price.... now does that not tell you something about the stuff in resort?

Overall a great family friendly hotel in the school holidays - I would say though there were alot of couples there too..... but if you want to avoid the kids, go outside of the school holidays. But thats the same at any hotel???

I hope I've managed to be balanced about it all. I love this hotel and everyone who works there and can't wait to go back again next year! If you want a warm welcoming small hotel with fabulous staff and great atmosphere, which offers excellent value for money then this definately is the hotel for you!

692 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I hate reviewers who talk about mundane things like not enough coat hangers, towels are too rough! get a life I say. That said, I never go anywhere without searching this site. While we enjoyed our stay at Anastsia there are a few things that need to be noted.
Trip Advisor gave good reviews. Our room was at the side with a sea view ( well part sea shall we say. Sun came overhead in the afternoon)I would check before you book as to where your room is. There are a number of rooms in this hotel that look out on to vacant ground and hardly picturesque. Our room did have a view of the sea but it was overtaken by the view directly overtaken of the dry dusty vacant ground.

I am 58 and my husband 62 we are not past our sell by date and enjoy a few drinks, entertainment and a stroll in the evening.What can I say about the entertainment, not a lot I am afriad. Bingo, quizz night. kids disco, karaoke, one evening a greek night with dancers. If you havent been to greece before you might like it, but pretty average.A pleasant enough scottish ebtertainment host but if I have to be honest, I feel this hotel does not go over the top in spending money to entertain customers. We strolled to the town most evenings and looked around the shops and had a few drinks. Shops stay open till about 11p.m.

Food at the hotel? my husband and I are not by any stretch of the imagination fussy eaters. Some nights were better than others. Again I have to say the margin mark up on food for this hotel must be huge. Ladies? we know how much chicken wings costs, that was a main meal with a gluty type sauce. Pork, every night dressed up in a different sauce, fish? same again, dry as a bone but variuous sauces to diguise. The soup was most definately of the powdered packet kind and bland bland bland. Salads were lovely, and the sweets were red/yellow jelly, angel delight as a substitute for cream, and the same sponge cake with a different topping. Melon and water melon in abundance. Basically, I am saying there is pasta . stodgy pizza and you would always have something to eat, but it is really not that good folks. Again, I just feel corners are cut on ent and food big time.Breakfasts are good. Lots of choices. Cannot fault them there at all.

Prices at the pool bar: 3.50 for a pint of local beer. 2 euro for a coke.Happy hour? well unless you buy 2 drinks you qualify for a 3rd free. What ever happened to half price or buy one get one free. Prices in Stalis arent much better. Maybe sometime 2.50 a pint if you looked hard enough.

I would say this is a family hotel, most parents tend to stay at the hotel in the evening and I guess the entertainment would be ok. But if you are like us and like a stroll you need to be aware of the location. It is set back of a busy busy highway. You have to go out hotel walk through an underpass along a dirttrack and you are in the centre in about 10 to 15 mins. What I hated was coming back in the evening. No way were we walking along this dirttrack to the dark underpass. We therefore crossed this highway and walked along a slightly better lit road. It really was white knuckle time for me each evening I really was nervous, nothing happened but I didnt like it one bit. Taxi is the answer, but is it? 8 euros, they are expensive, you choice I guess.I think more than anything this needs to be pointed out.

An abundance of restaurants in Stalis, meal for 2 with a glass of wine ( not a bottlel will set you back about 30/35 euros.If you are going self catering, allow a reasonable budget for food it aint cheap..

Stalis and Malia is quad bike city! Strolls arent that easy as you have to watch constantly for the 18\30 gang zooming up and down. Hey I was young too, but to allow this in the main area where you walk day and night is nothing short of a complete hindrance.

Good points, the staff at the hotel are just great! noting is too much bother. Now that said, that is a bonus, but it is not what I paid my hard earned cash for. I would have liked much better food and a better standard of entertainment.

If you also like a nice place to chill and sunbathe, read a book have a snooze you will not find it at the Anastsia. Music is played constantly at the pool and the bar. Anything from heavy metal, to middle of the road stuff. If it was only background that would be fine, be aware it is not. We tended to stay in our room and sit on the balcony away from the noise. If you have a room near the pool you wont get peace and quiet, beleive me.

I would go back to Stalis,but I am afraid not this hotel. I would stay in a hotel on the main strip. You can choose less nosiy areas. Best would be at the end of Stalis that leads in to Malia. Unless you are 18\30 please do not stay in Malia. It is just a wash of clubs and huge bars for the young party go-ers, great for them but if you have a young family or 40 to 60 age group, trust me I doubt you would like it.

Still on a negative but we did not leave until midnight. Check out was a mid-day. Charge for a room, 40 euros! way over the top I feel.Ok you can have your evening meal but even at that I still felt it was explitation. We really had no choice, too hot to walk around all day and no where really you could relax ( as I said) so if you are on a late flight budget for the room.

Excess baggage, usually 15 kilos. If you are over it is 18 euros per kilo. Be aware they will not take credit card, sterling, it has to be euros only. If you do think you are over allowance have some readies in your pocket. We saw so so many people getting caught out and have to say the airport staff could not have cared less. We watched a young couple literally have to throw things away as they did not have the money to pay excess.

Personal choice, I know, but if you are a family with young kids, probably ok,bear in mind the walk to the hotel in the dark. Peace and quiet, sorry not here. unless you get a room away from the pool and the pool bar.Food? you will always find something, but not good as far as we were concerned. Entertainment? they dont splash the cash to get good acts.Getting around, 7 euros round trip to Agio Nickolas ( lovely) and Heraklion, wouldnt bother nothing much to see here.

Weather brilliiant, nice people but take a closer look at location. No problem if you want to know anything else from me about hotel or stalis.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Returned after a two week stay and as others have would recommend this hotel to others.

Arrival was welcoming and efficient, being shown to our rooms quickly and given a helping hand with the heaviest items of luggage. Reception besides being friendly ensured that you knew if you had any problems/questions to just pop in. Staff without exception are friendly, helpful and by far some of the best I have come across. From reception, to bar to resturant and even grounds, I was really impressed.

The rooms clean and kept extremely clean throughout our stay, infact the whole complex from pool areas, paths and public areas cleaned on a regular basis. Air conditioning was cool and a nice touch.

Evening entertainment was not really our thing, but you cant please everyone all the time and is free to all guests.Location wise 10/15 min walk into stalis for the main beach areas with sunbeds etc. Just follow the route given by reception and the underpass is lit at night. The nearest one we never found that one lit at night and a little more cramped and awkward.

Food for breakfast and dinner was good if a little repetative, cooks need a bit more free rein or bomb up their backsides. As they clearly do the same dishes over and over and even between dishes use the same spices. Salads and soups fantastic.

Sunbeds always available and really good to see them not all go to the towel brigade. Even returning from the beach early afternoon no problems getting a sunbed.

Couple of small observation but dont let them put you off, bathrooms could do with a refurb, providing icecream at dinner would be a good touch even if only for the kids.

Exchange rates at the moment dont favour the pound so do expect items to generally cost you more. Most hotels do charge a premium for poolside service etc and in comparison to other hotels I didnt personally find this to be that differant from other hotels I have stayed at and infact less than some.

Ilkeston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We arrived back on 27th Aug after a 2 week stay at the Anastasia and overall was very impressed, the hotel is set out very well with lovely draping pink flowers with the mountains in the background and the pool bar area with a big screen showing sky tv and live British football and films etc. The swimming pools are great as one has a toddler pool attatched so our 4yr old could play safely on her own if we were in the adjoining bigger pool and the other big pool area has a smaller splash pool, and there was always spare sunbeds.

The only little grumbles were the the 'superior rooms' which is described in our booking were not in our opinion 'superior but basic' . But having said that the rooms were good enough & clean enough .

Also the bathroom , it was impossible not to flood whilst showering , the shower tray is very small , and last grumble , the pool bar prices are very expensive , €3.50 for a large beer , €3.60 for a fresh orange (work that one out ! ) & €2.20 for an ice cream.

But above all the staff were all very friendly & helpful the food was good , rooms were clean, and the pools were great , there was 8 of us with 4 adults 2 teenagers and 2 young children and we all very much enjoyed staying at this hotel.

Stalis itself is an 'ok ' resort one long road through with plenty of shops, taverna's & bars but the only thing is the quadbikes zipping back & forward , the road isn't very wide so its a little dangerous if you have young children , but i must mention the Mosquito bar and its owners , Mykas & Maria were the friendliest people you could wish to meet , always a free shot for us at the end of the night and on 2 occassions Mykas even gave us a lift home in his car !!

And finally back to the hotel , it was very handy having Dianne on reception as she's English and the gaffer Michael was a nice man , and on departure he was there to shake the fella's hand , a kiss goodbye for the ladies and high five for the kids ... what can you say , a truely lovely gesture.

This is a hotel we would definitely go back to .

Milton Keynes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed at the Anastasia for 1 week and booked with Thomas Cook. After a very long transfer (2 hours) we arrived in the afternoon. On arrival slightly let down by the room which may have been as we were on the ground floor and didnt have a very good view. The furnishings were very basic and the bathroom needed updating, i know greek hotels are basic but the rooms are more 3* than 3*+, Towels and bed linen were not changed every day.

We needed an iron one night and as there seems to be only one we had a long wait. Reception were not eager to please when we asked to change rooms.

The pool was very clean and had lots of spare loungers this carried on throughout the week. If it wasnt for the pool and the loungers we would have just used the hotel as a place to sleep.

The beach is a 15min walk with no paths so had to dodge the traffic!! There is plenty of places to hire a car and the public transport is good. The strip by the beach has many bars and restaurants to keep you busy! We went out for dinner one night to the Camelot restaurant which was v nice.

The breakfast was always well stocked and had a great choice of either hot or cold food with tea/coffee and juices. The dinner didnt have a lot of choice but what was on offer was ok. Would reccomend eating out some nights for a change.

The pool bar lunch and snacks menu was good and had a lot of variety. Manos the barman was great and friendly and helped us learn some basic greek! The drinks were very expensive (large beer 3.50) they do have happy hour but it is buy2 get 3rd free which isnt ideal if ordering as a couple. You can get cheaper drinks from some of the bars in Stalis. Which ranged from 1.50 - 3.50 for a beer.

We're a young couple in our mid 20s and this does seem to be a family orientated hotel, there were 3 pools and it would have been nice if one of them could have been adults only. There is a kids club but there doesn't seem much else to keep the kids occupied.

We didn't see much of the resort as we wanted to chill out and relax. If thats all your after it will suit you. If we return to Stalis we would stay nearer to the beach/main strip.

To sum up rooms basic, food ok, expensive drinks, plenty on offer outside of hotel. Nice sunny weather and a relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
MixalisFotakis, General Manager at Anastasia Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice words regarding our Hotel.

For the Correct Info of our guests:

1) All rooms have free air conditioning, free fridge, safe box to rent, private bathroom, Sat TV, hair dryer, direct line telephone,balcony or terrace,fine wood furnishing and towels and bed lines are changed 3 times a week.

2) For children there are 2 children pools, Kids Club twice a day, Crazy Golf, Basketball, Pool Table, Table tennis, Mini Football, Kids Disco 3 times a week, Children films on weekends, Games Evenings and a Magic Show every fortnight !

Best Regards

Mixalis Fotakis

The Manager
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We had a good holiday, Hotel Anastasia is very nice but we didn't find it as impressive as some of the reviews on this site led us to believe. Immediate reaction on arrival was not good, hotel is separated from a busy main road by a dirt track with half constructed building on one side, empty field on the other, and no sign of life. However, 10 minute walk (albeit through a dark flooded underpass) takes you to shops, bars etc of Stalis and the beach.
Room was basic but clean, but certainly not what I would call superior standard as it was described in our booking. The bathroom was so small you could almost sit on the toilet, clean your teeth and wash your feet in the shower all at the same time!! The shower flooded the room everytime we used it and varied between scorching hot or freezing cold.
Food was lovely with plenty of choice, my kids loved the spaghetti carbonara, and great soups and salads. Fair selection of desserts but would have just preferred ice cream most nights, sadly it never appeared.The half-board option made the holiday very good value though. Drinks are provided at breakfast but are not included with the evening meal, not even water.
Entertainment reminded me of the programme 'Benidorm', a bit cheesy, there was a magic show, karoke, quizzes etc. We didn't stay in the hotel in the evenings, as we found the drinks very overpriced. For example, 3.50 for a large beer, everywhere else we paid between 1.50 and 2.50. Similarly 2.90 for wine which elsewhere could be had for 1.50 to 2.00. As we don't like being had over for drinks, we found plenty of nice bars right on the beach where drinks were more reasonable. Try Africa beach bar, they brought the kids little (free) Slush puppy shots all night long so they could join in with the grown ups.
Don't avoid Malia just because of what people say, they can't have seen all of it. Malia Old town is lovely, nothing like rest of Malia, its about a 15-20 minute walk from Anatasia, with tiny cobbled streets, little pretty churches, the most gorgeous bars and restaurants covered in bouganvilla. Try Yiannis bar, its the tiniest taverna I've ever been in. Yiannis told the funniest stories and the kids liked him so much they wanted to adopt him as their grandad. It was great sitting with the locals and watching the world go by, drinking Yiannis beautiful homemade red wine (and more lethal than beautiful raki) and sampling his homegrown nectarines and lemons as well.....! Sun beach and Potamas beach lovely, loads of rock pools for kids to catch fish & crabs, also free trampolines for the kids. Sissi was an amazing little harbour where you can dive off the rocks into turquiose blue sea.
Finally, yes the quads are annoying but if you can't beat em........ we hired them for a few days, dead cheap 30 a day for 2, and we went all over with the kids on the back, there's only one main road so very easy to get around, everywhere was well signposted, was a great buzz driving alongside beach roads with blue sky and wind in hair pretending to be cool.......
So all in all, we had a great holiday, Anastasia very good value bearing in mind all the food my 14 year old son managed to put away each day. Unlike some people, we don't go on holiday to just stay round the hotel day and night, we went for sunshine, relaxation and to experience Crete so the Anastasia is perfect for that.
There were always plenty of sun beds round the pool probably because we spoke to lots of people who felt like us about the bar prices and went elsewhere for the day, loads of the beach bars also have free sunbeds, swimming pools, (and crucially, Sky television, very useful as the Ashes were on while we were away...yay England :-).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
MixalisFotakis, General Manager at Anastasia Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice words about our Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Now for the correct information of our guests it is also right to note following :

1)The prices of food and drinks reflect the quality of the products.
Most of the bars/pubs in the surrounding areas offer watered down drinks.
I wouldn't risk being sick on my holidays for a difference of 0,50-0,80 cents.

2) In our Hotel we offer high quality drinks and food at very competitive prices.
In our Happy Hours especially, which are 3 hours during the day, the Mythos Beer we offer goes down to 2,35 Euro for a 550 ml high quality pint (and not a 400 ml watered Beer called local pint ! )

3) Regarding the 'dirt track' this is an asphalt slip road, cleaned daily from the region ( Sundays too).

4) All our superior rooms have free air conditioning, free fridge,large balconies, Sat TV, safe, hairdryer,a private bathroom and are equipped with modern wood furnishing.

Best Regards

Mixalis Fotakis
ouston county durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

1 weeks stay at the Hotel Anastasia and I can honestly say this just wasn’t long enough. I am a seasoned traveler, living out of a suitcase most of the time, so was looking forward to a week’s R & R with my family.

We booked a late deal H/B and it was bags packed and off to Crete. It’s been many years since I had last been to Stalis so was intrigued to see how over developed and ruined it had become. I couldn’t be more pleasantly surprised. Although I didn’t recognize most of the Beach Road, it still had that laid back charm, apart from the idiots who thought it clever to do 60mph on the quad bikes, although I did spot the Police on a night stopping anyone speeding and making them park up and walk.

OK, now for the hotel. We arrived at the reception well after 11pm and we were immediately taken outside around the pool/entertainment where a table was set and a meal prepared for us. This I thought was a great touch of hospitality and it was a taster for the rest of the week.

There are 3 pools (1 kids) and although it was peak season, it was never over crowded and never had a problem with the sun beds.
The family room was clean and just the right size, with a nice balcony. The cleaners were very thorough and any loose change left lying was always re-arranged in a nice pile for your return, imagine that happening in Spain?????

The food was very good for a buffet style meal, always plenty and freshly cooked. There
was an excellent choice for breakfast as well. The restaurant was never over crowded and dining around the pool on a balmy night was a joy.

The nightly entertainment was basic but this added to the charm and family feel to this hotel. This brings me nicely to the owner Michael. He was always on hand to help and on a night he would be around with his family, participating in the evening fun, dancing with his 2 young children. I lost count how many times our youngest came back from the bar with a free ice cream. The entertainment for the kids is limited to ping pong and a pool table, but again this added to the fun and charm of the place. The kids made there own fun and bonded together great, in fact it was difficult to drag them away from each other (and is still going on through facebook).

Another special word regards Michael, who was there to see us off when it was time to leave. A shake of the hand for me, a couple of Hi 5’s for the kids and a kiss on the cheek and cuddle for the missus. You don’t get that in one of your big chain of hotels.

The Hotel Anastasia IS what you call a family hotel.

Would I go back again – Yes, would I recommend it – Yes.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Anastasia Hotel? Share your experiences!