We visited the Ideal apartments as a couple 19th September for 2 weeks. Apartments excellent size and very clean. The ones on the lower level are fine and are not disgusting as mentioned in a previous review. Electric kettles new for this year – no toaster so we took a £5 toaster and passed in on when we left. No need for air con in late September. Staff very friendly. Nice pool bar and poolside area. Excellent taverna attached – we ate here 4 times in the fortnight. Very good meze- Bekri meze and fried courgettes were the best in resort. 5 Euros ½ carafe of wine, 3 Euros a pint. Many Greek and English meals available and wonderful pizza. Good Location in the centre of Kokkini Hani. Children are made to feel welcome but the holiday is really geared towards couples – not much for children to do except the beach. Not many mosquitoes around which was a bonus.
Some great tavernas around which I have reviewed separately and a lovely cake shop and bakery over the road. Our favourite bar was the Whisky bar on the front promenade next to Aroma Meze. Fiona and Paul will make you feel welcome there. They are a normal bar as well as whiskies and their coffee and Metaxa provided a nice end to many meals. They are very reasonably priced too. Excellent kebab place over the round called Bis Bis - you eat in or takeway back to the apartment - kebab meat is the best we have ever tried and their Chicken slouvaki pitta.
Kokkini is not the prettiest place we have ever stayed but has a nice feel – many Greeks live here. It is very handy for regular, cheap buses going left to Heraklion (takes 20mins) and right to Hersonissos (takes 30mins) Stalis and Malia (40mins) and Agios Nikolaos (1hr). These are coach type buses and they stop very near to the apartments.
The best beach is to the right of the Ideal. Keep walking for 10mins until you see the sign for Chrysanthi apartments on the other side of the road. Walk down the dirt road for 5mins to the front. To the right are around 7 cafes and tavernas with free sun loungers as long as you by a drink with them. We used Avra and Paxomi – the food was brilliant in both of these. The beach is sandy and sheltered, but the sea can be a little choppy at times but still safe. You can just make out the airport down the coast and planes fly overhead which is a novelty. You can also reach this beach by cutting through the Themis Hotel and walking along the coast.
Overall this was a great holiday and we will return one day with firends in tow.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideal hotel apartments offers a range of 25 tastefully decorated self-catering accommodation from family rooms to apartments.All apartments have two bedrooms, kitchen, lounge ,bathroom, WC, air conditioning and balcony over looking the pool or gardens and are equipped to a high standard with all necessary appliances. Cleaned daily and fresh bedding and towels provided. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Ideal Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ideal Apartments Hotel Kokkini Hani
- Ideal Apartments Crete/Kokkini Hani