We booked this in January this year on a travel zoo deal. We stayed at this hotel for a week starting the 2nd October. We booked this holiday out of season as we wanted to go when it wasnt too hot, but still nice. We wanted a peaceful, restful holiday and that is exactly what we got. We arrived just after 11pm, we were given a bottle of water but nothing to eat which was a shame as by trip advisor I had hoped to get a sandwich, but that wasnt advertised so couldnt grumble really. We had just missed the All Inclusive time for the bar so had to buy our drink that night. There was a couple who got on our bus 20 minutes after everyone else, so we should send them the bill!
The weather was lovely, we had rain one morning and on afternoon, other time there was beautiful sunshine. As we were right at the end of the season, we had less and less people at the hotel as the days went by as people left and wernt replaced. The staff were brilliant. The managers could smile now and again but generally looked quite miserable but the other staff were really friendly and very good, working really hard tirelessly. Eleni in the pool bar was totally charming and Niko in the main bar was excellent.
We went snorkelling in the rock pool on the right hand side of the beach, it was fantastic, clear water and lots of different fish to see. We didnt bring flippers but wished we had.
We had a lovely time sitting by the pool reading books soaking up the sun, having a dip now and again and popping to the bar for drinks and food every now and again. I really couldnt of asked for more and going right at the end of the season meant there was no hassle getting sunbeds or anything, totally fabulous.
Asking the locals to teach you a little greek and practicing hello and thank you go a long way to enjoying your holiday.
The food was ok. There was always something we could find to eat, there certainly was lots of selection. Some were not too good but other foods were really lovely. I put on over 5lbs in a week so it couldnt be too bad!!!
The rooms were fine, they were very clean. The shower was very powerful and the screen didnt hold the water back so the floor was always wet, but there is a towelling floor thing, so I simply walked that around the room after we had finished showering and there was no problem, it soon dried up after that.
We went out the hotel and got on the bus to the next town, quite a lot going on there, I got a bus back, it cost 1.70 Euros each way, another couple got a taxi back and were charged 30 euros, my other half bartered and got a taxi back for 8 euros!
The safe cost us about 17 Euros for the week and we booked a late checkout for 40 euros, well worth it as we then had the room til we left for the airport.
One downside is that the corridors can be noisy, so if you go please be aware of this and be considerate to others during the night and morning.
A thoroughly wonderful holiday, wish I was there now.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Aquis Arina Sand Hotel has a superb beachfront location and it is famous for its good food, spacious accommodation and entertainment. It is spread out in 10 acres of beautiful gardens and lush vegetation making it an ideal choice for both families and couples. The Aquis Arina Sand has been designed with the emphasis on relaxation and fun and is set in magnificent gardens, dotted with palm trees and colorful flowers, overlooking the stunning Cretan sea.It is only 12 km from Heraklion city with frequent bus service and easy access to the main points of interest as Knossos, Gortys & Festos.Aquis Arina Sand invites you to celebrate the perfect holiday! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Despegar.com so you can book your Aquis Arina Sand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquis Arina Sand Hotel Kokkini Hani
- Hotel Arina Sand
- Arina Sand Kokkini Hani
- Aquis Arina Sand Crete/Kokkini Hani