“My one week holidays” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kokkini Hani
Heraklion, Greece
“My one week holidays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

This year we stayed in Rinela beach and we would like to thank all the people there for the wonderful time we had.
This place is NOT for diet!!!!! There is food everywhere all the day!!
Our room was clean and the staff really professional.
You really have to visit this place!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
liarosHeraklion, Guest Relations Manager at Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for you nice words about our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your holidays in our hotel.
We would deeply appreciate it if your stay here would also prompt you to recommend our resort to your family and friends.
Look forward to welcome you again in our hotel Sentido Mitsis Rinela Beach.

Volodina Olga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Livadia, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I had my holidays at Rinela Beach in April this year and I must admit that it was more perfect than ever.
Good quality in food, big variety, nice people, friendly staff willing to help you at any time, clean hotel and lots of things to do with the animation team.
If you want to relax and enjoy the sun you can do it in the sandy beach of the hotel.
A big thank you to everyone there!! See you next year.
Sandalis family!!!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for you nice words about our hotel and staff. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your holidays in our hotel.
Look forward to welcome you again in our hotel Sentido Mitsis Rinela Beach.

Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We were picked up by A2B Transfers thinking we were getting a coach a nice chap lead us to his taxi and was at the hotel within 10 minutes from leaving the Heraklion airport. From the moment we walked into the hotel, I knew I had made the right choice, even the taxi driver said it was one of the best hotels on Crete. We were checked in by the most friendly reception staff i have ever met in an international hotel, we were told to have some lunch and while our bags are delivered to the room. 1st impressions of the food was fantastic, full of flavour which we have never experienced on all inclusive, Always plenty of choice in the main restaurant, the seating outside is lovely. The Staff in the hotel cannot do enough for you, nothing is ever a problem.

At reception car hire is available from a lady called Jasmine, her English is faultless and is very helpful with local knowledge. I highly recommend using her she works for a reputable hire company, We had a brand new Peugeot 206+ which was reliable and the price we paid was cheaper than if you go outside the Hotel.

Breakfast is lovely and is available up until 1030 and if you miss it you can grab a toasty ham & cheese is just the start of toasties world at the Rinela, if it's there you can have it. Dinner in the Main restaurant was always fresh and delicious; Nikolitisa who is in charge of the crepes and the chap in charge of the gyros always find time to have a quick chat, service with a real smile. the Chinese was one of the nicest I have experienced but make sure you turn up to book it by 0750 the day before you want to go as it's very popular. The Tavern is also really nice as you get to look out over the Med as you get through a jug of wine and great food, limited seating = limited queuing if you know what i mean.

After 1730 you are looked after outside by waiter's Spiros and Vassilis and the other bar staff who like to serve you drinks before and after dinner until midnight, by that time it is normally time for bed if not you can Pop down to the Bar Ideal and see Panda for a few more drinks until the small hours.

There are four decent sized swimming pools at the hotel. We used the main pool and the beach most days. The pools are all very clean and well maintained, the hotel grounds are kept to a very clean and have a great variety of plant’s, flowers and trees.

The animation team headed by a very efficient Slym are fantastic, the first activity I signed up for was the Dart's with a Zulu, he is so funny, a whole new meaning to playing darts. The Whole team work so hard there is never a dull moment, normally there is an action game 12pm which is always worth a laugh especially as it normally involves somebody getting a soaking of some sort. The evening entertainment is the best I have ever seen, at times we had tears streaming with laughter that is all I will say as do not want to spoil it for you.
The Hotel has its own private beach with a free bar on it serving cold beer, fruit slush, soft drinks an ice cream. At the other end of the beach is the privately run watersports centre was the best I’ve seen, Gill and his wife are very friendly and have a wide range of activities available, you can kayak and pedalo for free, Jet skies, boat trips and banana boat and the towing sofa are chargeable due to petrol being needed. If you can sail there is a really nice Hobbie Cat for Hire at 30 Euro an hour, which is very reasonable, If you need Gill to go with you it's just another 10 euro he is a experienced sailor, next time we go when its really windy I would like to go a sailing with him.

The maid service was great beds made, new towels and rooms cleaned everyday spotless and new sheets daily .Free mini bar replenished every other day, and yes branded soft drinks and Mangus bottled beer.

Checkout is 12pm which I thought was a fair time, and just because you have checked out you still have full use of hotel facilities until your transfer collects you, nice touch if you have a late flight home.

This is the best hotel we have ever stayed in when travelling in Europe, and the weather was fantastic, just had one really windy day. Can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the right when facing the sea get the sun in the evening's (nice to have a beer out on...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much that you found time to write to us your kind comment. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your holidays in our hotel. Also thank you for your high recommendation of our hotel.
Such comment as yours proves that we are on the right way and that we are keeping our standards very high.
Thank you again for your kind evaluation. Look forward to welcome you again in our hotel Sentido Mitsis Rinela Beach.

Rethymnon, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We visited the Sentido Rinela Beach Hotel at Greek Easter with my family, wife and 3 children.
If you are looking for a nice 5* Heraklion hotel that is connected to the airport,
check out Rinela Beach in kokkini hani, offering a unique experience of holidays to all its guests.
There are a number of local attractions including the Aquarium (children loved it, and it's just a 20 min walk along the coast) and traditional village of Anopolis. Other attractions in the region include Palace of Knossos and Heraklion Archaeological Museum.

This hotel has 3 restaurants, The taverna, Chinese and the large main restaurant where you will find a selection of items to try.
There is also a poolside bar and another poolbar by the waterslide so guests can sip a refreshing drink by the pool or indoors at the bar upstairs.
If you are visiting Greece on vacation or for business, take some time to de-stress as you will find beauty services at the hotel SPA, a full-service spa, massage/treatment rooms, a spa tub, a fitness facility and a sauna on site.
Be sure to leave some room for your swimsuit as this hotel features 4 outdoor pools, a nice way to unwind. Other leisure facilities include an arcade/game room, and large conventional rooms if of course you plan to visit for business.

The Children playground and mini-club for the children is the best in the area as i was told by my travel agent.
The beach is sandy, shallow (i.e. relatively warm in the early season) and sheltered (great for kids)
Superb yet unobtrusive service at all restaurants and bars. With his quick thinking and impressive coctail making speed, Manolis can arrange anything in 5 minutes flat.
Special thanks to all of Manolis and Maria and their crew spiros and stelios!
They really helped us have fun and an overall great vacation!
Thank you Rinela ! We are surelly going to visi you again! Thanks for all!

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much that you found time to write to us your kind comment. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your holidays and SPA. Also thank you for your nice wors about our staff.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort and Spa between 22nd April and 29th April 2012 for a girl’s holiday. We were both very excited but a bit nervous after reading some negative reviews on here. However, after a fabulous week we can honestly say that from our experience those negative reviews seem unfounded. Here is my HONEST review of the hotel and our holiday.

First Impressions

My initial thoughts as our transfer coach pulled off the main road and down into a rather tatty looking village were “oh no”, especially after we had dropped off some other passengers at a grotty hotel. We drove down what I would think was probably a high street of sorts, lined mostly with tourist shops, cafes and a couple of taverna’s. However as our coach slowed and turned left into a driveway I heaved a sigh of relief. Although the hotel doesn’t look too impressive from the front it was at least better than the one we had just passed. Inside was different though. The lobby is beautiful with high ceilings and lots of natural light. To the right is the reception, which a bar and the restaurant further behind it. To the left are a couple of hotel shops and another bar with big comfy sofas. It all leads out onto a terrace with chairs and tables that over look the pools and the sea. It is stunning!!

Reception Staff

The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful even though there were about 6 groups who turned up at once to check-in. We were offered cool flannels to wipe our faces and hands as the temperature outside was already very hot. We were given our room keys and directions around the resort and offered help with our bags, which we initially turned down until we realised we would have to carry them up 2 flights of stairs at which point a passing member of staff lifted our suitcases on his shoulders and took them up to our room for us!! I need to point out that our suitcases weighed at least 19KG each! Haha!
Throughout our stay the reception staff continued to be very helpful, offering information about the local area, where to get buses etc.

The Room

The accommodation at the resort is separated into what I would describe as small apartment blocks, 2 storeys high and roughly 30 rooms in each block. There are no lifts so as I’ve already mentioned it is wise to ask for assistance with your luggage if you have a room on the 1st or 2nd floor.
We had a Superior Twin Room with a sea view. It was clean, comfortable and spacious. What else can you ask for? The room had a mini-bar which was fully stocked upon our arrival with soft drinks, water and beer which was all included in our package. We also had a Welcome fruit basket and bottle of wine which was a lovely touch (before we discovered that Cretan wine is a bit bleugh!).
The room had a TV, hairdryer, bath/shower, balcony with table and chairs, sofa, large wardrobe and cupboard space, dressing table and chair, large mirror, beside tables, air-conditioning and a telephone. The decor was a bit dated in my opinion but still presentable.
There is no safe in the room! That is the only downside. The hotel offers safe keeping of your valuables for 25euros for the week. My and friend and I decided not to take them up on this offer. Instead we locked all our valuables in my small hand luggage case inside my larger case and kept it on the top shelf of our wardrobe. If you want to pay out for the proper safe then by all means do.
The view was beautiful. We immediately overlooked a large grassy area and a rockery in the space between us and the next block of rooms, however we also had a stunning view of the pool area, the sea and the small uninhabited island of Dia. We were close to the main restaurant too so each morning we could smell breakfast and fresh bread!

Maids

The maids and cleaners were also very friendly (clearly just a very friendly culture!). Our room was always spotless when we returned in the evening. Our PJ’s were always folded into shapes on our bed. Having stayed at a resort similar to this in Egypt though I was a bit sad to not get any towel art but that’s just me being spoilt!
The complimentary toiletries were restocked every day along with fresh towels. The mini-bar was also restocked every second day.

Restaurants

The hotel has 3 restaurants. The main restaurant (buffet), the taverna (buffet) and the Chinese restaurant (a la carte).

Main Restaurant
We ate here at most meal times. It opened at 07:00 until 10:00 for breakfast, 12:00 until 14:30 for lunch and 18:00 and 10:30 for dinner. However I noticed that they would stay open later for guest arriving on late evening flights. The food was buffet style and separated into sections. Before I say anything I have to tell you, the food is BRILLIANT! It’s incredibly well seasoned and there is a lot of variety. The food is definitely this hotel’s main highlight!

The salad section stayed the same for all 3 meals apart from a few varying dishes. Plenty of tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, beans, pulses, lentils, olives etc. Also some cold rice or pasta dishes. There were also typical Greek dips such as tzatziki and lots and lots of olive oil of course. There was a separate section for cheeses and cold meats. I ate so much feta it’s unreal. They also baked fresh bread every day. All different kinds, big loaves, rolls, some with seeds, some with cheese or bacon. So much variety.

At breakfast they had fresh fruit, yoghurt, honey, jams. Alternatively you could have a cooked breakfast or an omelette with whatever ingredients wanted. They also made crepes and dough balls with honey and sesame seeds. Try the Greek coffee. It’s thick and dark but I found I actually loved it! Always ask for milk though, especially if you ask for tea as they tend to drink it black.

Lunch and dinner tended to be similar but every day there were different dishes. In the 7 nights we stayed there I didn’t eat the same dish twice. They accommodated for all tastes and preferences. There was always a homemade soup on offer. The hot meals included everything from seafood and snails to steaks and fresh fish. I’m a pescatarian (I eat fish but not meat ) and found there was more than enough choice for me).

There is a pasta bar where there were usual 3 or 4 different dishes being made in front of you. As Crete used to be owned by Venice there is a lot of Italian influence in their food.
They also had a kebab bar as Crete was also at one time occupied by the Turks. You could get chips here if you wanted them.

Drinks in all the restaurants are severed to you by the lovely waiters and waitresses. We were usually shown to a table and drink orders were taken immediately. The red wine is quite drinkable however we also tried the white and the rose which is pretty naff. However there are also plenty of cocktails and spirits to make up for it!

Taverna
We ate once at the Taverna which you usually have to book the day before. They do a lunch service and a dinner service. We ate at lunch. It’s a smaller version of the main restaurant but it’s outside and near the beach. The usual salads and cheeses are available but here they also make fresh pizzas and pasta dishes which are quite yummy. The deserts at both restaurants are lovely. Baklava, or something similar, is always on offer as well as mini fruit tartlets, cakes, mousses, ice creams and fresh fruit.

Chinese Restaurant
The Chinese restaurant must also be booked the day before or earlier as it is usually full. They give you a ticket which allows each person to have a soup, an appetiser, a main, a side dish and desert from the a la carte menu. The menu is quite small but there are vegetarian options available. The chefs and waitresses are actually Chinese too which I thought was fairly impressive. The kitchen is open so you can watch your meal being prepared. It was very yummy food and although it was a bit odd to eat Chinese in Greece it was nice to have something a bit different.

Bars and Drinks

There are a number of different bars at the hotel. Two bars join onto the main reception area, there is a beach bar and also a pool bar. Beach and pool bars are self service (where you go to the bar and order) with your choice or soft drinks, cocktails, beer, tea and coffee. The main bars in the hotel were self service until 5:30pm, after that a waiter will come to you and take your order and bring you a drink. The Beach bar has a slushy machine while the Blue bar (next to the restaurant in the reception) has an iced coffee machine which is really cool! It was like having your own Starbucks!
I read a review from someone who said the drinks are watered down. That is total rubbish. A lot of the spirits are known brands and the drinks are actually quite strong! The bar staff and waiters are all smiles and nothing is too much for them.

Pool and Beach

Although the resort boasts 5 swimming pools, it’s not exactly as you’d expect. The main pool is large and deep enough for diving. In the same area there is also a small children’s pool and then on the next level down closer to the beach is another pool. This is the pool with the children’s slides. The 4th and 5th pools are not to be used by every guest. The 4th is the spa pool which you can only use if you book a treatment and 5th is the private pool area for the VIP rooms (which were actually in the same apartment block as us!).

We used the main pool the most as there are plenty of sun loungers and shaded areas. The animation team are around the pool between 10:30 and about 13:00 I think. And then again from about 15:30. There is music and games, aqua aerobics at 11:00 and again at 16:00. There is a pool bar and also a snack bar that serves either toasted sandwiches or hotdogs between 10:30 and 14:00 and crepes from 16:00 until 17:30.

The beach is sandy and has plenty of sun loungers and parasols. We never had any trouble trying to find a good spot. There is a beach bar and also a water sports centre where you can hire a pedal boat or a canoe free of charge. You MUST book though. They also rent out jet skis and motor boats for a fairly decent price. The water is crystal clear and there are lots of little fishes that swim around your ankles.

Entertainment, Animation Team and Activities

On a couple of evenings the hotel provided live music in the bar area. One evening we had a singer and a guitar player and another evening we had a jazz musician which was really good! A photographer also comes to the resort a few evenings a week to take pictures of the guests dressed up for dinner. They then return the next morning with the prints so you can buy them. They are very reasonably priced but if you ask they actually reduced the price even more. We bought a couple of prints from them.

The animation team are brilliant. Obviously they are there for the children but it’s their job to try and get people involved in team games and activities. It really upsets me when people are rude to them because they are just doing their job. If they ask you to play ping-pong and you say no then they just thank you and leave you alone so there is no need to be rude!!
Whenever I go to a hotel where there is an animation team I always try to get to know them because they are so friendly and always up for a laugh. The funniest thing was that one member used to work at the hotel I visited in Egypt 2 years ago and he still remembered me!
My friend and I took part in Aqua gym with Bea most mornings and played a few games with Ivan and Andris who were great guys.

The evening animation shows are a bit silly and tongue in cheek but they can be fun to watch when they get the guests involved.

The hotel has a tennis court which can be booked for use throughout the day and evening. They had a TV room that usually had sports on and some card and backgammon tables.

Spa

My first thoughts about the Spa were that it was REALLY expensive! There were a lot of treatments but the cheapest was about 35 Euros and the most expensive being 110 Euros! An hour long full body was 60 Euros. They had a few deals when we arrived such as 2 massages for the price of 3. Or they offered a discount if you booked a treatment in the first 24 hours.
We did actually book a treatment when a couple of the spa staff came to the pool area and offered for my friend and I to have a full body massage each for 40 Euros which was a more reasonable price in my opinion so I’m glad we waited. The massage itself was lovely and the spa area, although small, was relaxing. They had an indoor hydrotherapy pool with a massive waterfall and jets inside. There was a small gym and a few lounge chairs too. The pool looked out onto the gardens and the sea.

Overall Impression

My final impressions of the hotel as we boarded our coach back to the airport were that it was a great place to stay. I believe we timed our visit just right as it was beginning to get a lot busier in the last few days. The hotel felt very safe and I definitely would recommend it to family and friends.

Recommended trips and excursions

The location of the hotel is fantastic as it is very close to the main tourist attractions of Crete. We paid for 2 guided excursions and would thoroughly recommend them.
• A boat trip to the Island of Spinalonga with a beach BBQ and visit to Agios Nikoloas.
• An evening trip to the village of Anopolis for a Cretan village evening with a show. Dinner and wine was provided and great entertainment.

We also visited the city of Heraklion and also the ruins of Knossos. There were guided tours to these places but we preferred to take the bus and find our own way. The buses are very cheap and most people speak English so it was easy to get about.

I hope this review has given people a good idea of the hotel and the local area.

Room Tip: Ask for a supierior room with a sea view that is away from the pool area. This way you get the fanta...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
liarosHeraklion, Guest Relations Manager at Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Guests,
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Mitsis Rinela Beach Hotel.
Please be assured that we rate customer satisfaction as our highest priority. This is why positive and so detailed feedback like we received from you is most valuable to us. It proves us that we are progressing in the right direction.
We would deeply appreciate it if your stay here would also prompt you to reccomend our resort to your family and friends.
Also, please, can you contact us on our official e-mail adress, to leave to us your e-mail address reservations@mitsis-rinelabeach.com
Thank you again for your kind evaluation. Hoping to welcom you again soon in our hotel.

Kind regards,
Guest Relations Manager,
Kosice, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I spent my holiday time in this hotel xhen in greece they had easter time...it was really very nice because i cas see what they do...Hotel was just perfect...My room was all the time clean with clean towels....also food and drinks was perfect....The best from all wasin taverna they have very nice food....and their service is all the time with smile and helpfull and very fast...If I have another one opportunity i will go there for my next holidays.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband found a late deal on teletext for our honeymoon after reading some reviews were sceptical but I must say the hotel accommodation staff and facilities were amazing!

The animation team I'm particular niño, Ivan (roberto) and Zulu made our day! The beach was amazing food good room lovely and cleaned thoroughly daily and free mini soft drinks bar restocked every 2 days....

I would say the spa was over priced and a bit crap the pool inside tiny and gym had a couple of outdated things in there!

Lovely lady who works in the shop and the prices there on par with the ones outside also bar ideal outside down the road lovely breakie if ya tear yourself away from all inclusive and they show all English footie in the eve/day....

Wifi a bit temperamental in peak times and no on site iron from what we could gather.... Make sure you bring beach towels as ones in the room lovely for shower but not big enough to take round pool etc...

Staff all nice and helpful book in the chinese (must be done before 8am for following eve) as this fab and my husband birthday was while we were there the guys made him a cake a served it in the chinese!!! We had a wonderful time and would return.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much that you found time to write to us your kind comment. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon in our hotel.
In our hotel we are specially provide beach towels near the swimmingpool in the Pool Bar, so it is not necessary to take your own or from the room. For this reason on the reception desk you must take towel cards with a deposit, that will be returned in your departure day.

Volodina Olga

Been to Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!