My wife says that when we go away on holiday together where we are staying should be better than home otherwise what is the point of going? It is a philosophy I share totally when we are together, but when I am off on my own or with my golfing mates then what is most important is that where I am staying is clean and comfortable- the luxuries can go hang for two or three days so long as I get a good night's sleep and it is not to far from a bar and somewhere decent to eat.
Based on this criteria then the Mercure Hotel, sitting on a hill outside the small fishing town of Port-en-Bessin-Huppain ticks my modified boxes. I would not bring my wife here, because she wants a five star experience, but I would be more than happy to travel with three golfing companions and use this as our base for a couple of rounds on the 36-hole Omaha Beach golf club and explore the wonderful World War II beaches that are on our doorstep, especially that four and a half mile stretch of golden sand that became known as 'Bloody Omaha.'
But let's look at the dos and don'ts of the hotel, first. DO book a 'privilege' quality room which is conveniently located by the golf club and L'Albatros restaurant and delivers a spacious suite, a really comfortable bed and free WiFi. The bathroom is well stocked with toiletries too. MY problem was that every time I turned on the tap in the bath I got a shower too and could not turn it off. It is only a minor quibble but it should have been checked before I arrived.
The restaurant provides good, well prepared meals for lunch and dinner and has a decent wine list although it is a large soulless place, noticeably lacking in atmosphere during my stay as there was barely another soul about. It was February admittedly but I would have liked to see more people in there as the staff are absolutely first class: helpful, friendly and efficient. But a couple of meals there are enough.
The same things goes for breakfast, which is in the main hotel area and offers great views over La Mer golf course. It was just a shame that the pancakes my travelling companion had were like cardboard and had clearly been sitting under the hot plate for a very long time. Everything else was fine with good coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice on the regular tariff.
So, do come and play the course and explore all that is to be seen within a 30 minute drive, which will include Omaha Beach, the wonderful old City of Bayeux and its historic tapestry, and the massive and immensely moving American Military Cemetery at Colville sur Mer. And enjoy your time in the Mercure too, just do not plan to stay for more than two or three nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Mercure Omaha Beach Your wellbeing is our priority. The building is located at the foot of the Omaha Beach Golf course in order to preserve the natural beauty of this exceptional site with stunning views. There is no need to be golfer to appreciate the calm surroundings, with the sea waiting to be discovered close-by. You won't be able to resist the charm of the touristic town Port-En-Bessin, which is a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Also close-by are Bayeux and the American war cemetery. If you are in search of tranquility, you will be able to find it in our relaxation areas, such as the sauna and steam room. There is a lounge bar where you will be able to enjoy a game of pool or a session in the gym ... In fine weather, you can enjoy the heated outdoor pool, and let the children play in the paddling pool. The adepts of relaxation will be seduced by the many wellbeing spa treatments. A business area is available and free Wi-Fi covers the whole building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Despegar.com, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Mercure Hotel Omaha Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Accor Bayeux Omaha Beach
- Bayeux Omaha Beach Mercure
- Mercure Hotel Omaha Beach France/Normandy