“Great value, Superb Animation Team, Some small Tweaks Required” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Luna Bay

You added Sol Luna Bay to your Saves list
Sol Luna Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Byala-Obzor Beach | postal address: Zona za otdih 9101 Byala, Obzor 8250, Bulgaria   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Obzor
“Great value, Superb Animation Team, Some small Tweaks Required”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks here and before I start to put it in context this is the first all inclusive we have done as a family so we have nothing to compare to . Went with my son who is 15 and daughter who is 13, and we all had a great time and the 2 weeks flew by, and we would not hesitate to come back. The big positives are :

Cleanliness - whole hotel is spotless and the cleaners do a great job with a smile on their faces which is nice.

Animation Team - they are superb and would be a credit to any hotel, always laughing and did not push too hard if you declined to do something. The kids loved archery and shooting Alex in particular was a great help and this would be a big consideration in coming back.

Restaurant - it is big but it is a big hotel, but we found the selection and quality very good, yes 75% of the food is eastern European rather than western but I have no problem with that as 75% of the guests during our stay were from that region so cannot moan.

There are a few things which made no sense to me and these are not complaints but things that could be easily fixed:

Lobby Bar - I have no idea why the bar is open to 12.00 but the all inclusive part finishes at 11.00??? I found this absolute crackers - stop it because it will really hack some people off.

Safe - do not think a 4 star hotel should charge for the safe, not what you expect

Beach bars - to be fair this May be changing as a new bar opened while we were there but I did not understand why the pool bar closed at 5 when most people stayed down to 6.30, this got a lot of people cross and seemed daft to me, just keep it open to 6.30....

Don't give the table tennis balls out free, I watched KIDS destroy them as they did not know what they were doing.... then we could no play! Charge for them or get a vending machine so that guests can buy them
Apart from these overall a great 2 weeks

Room Tip: The new beach bar has great WiFi signal and has good ice cream !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Evgeniy G, Quality Manager at Sol Luna Bay, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear guest "Gentleuk",

I would like first to express my gratitude for being our guest and for having spent the time to write such an extensive comment in TripAdisor. Thank you very much for the nice words about cleanliness, animation, restaurant...We are very happy that you and your family had a wonderful vacation.

Many thanks for your recommendations and remarks as well. Your idea about the ping pong balls is very good, we appreciate this. We will also think about the working time of the Pool bar.
Regarding the Lobby bar, the AI program is till 11.00 p.m. and the bar is working till 12.00 p.m. for the guests who want to stay longer. We do not offer 24 hours AI. The safe deposit box is for charge in all Sol Hotels, so we can't decide about this.

Anyway, once again I would like to thank you for your review and we hope to be able to welcome you soon again in Sol Luna Bay Resort as our special guests.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We spend in this hotel 10 days on June2013 and we were very satisfied. We had family room with sea wiew, it was really big and comfortable. The food was excellent and very delicious. Staff and animation very kind and friendly. Very good place for the beach volleyball. Clean sea and sun:)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest "Vilmute",

many, many thanks for the time spent writing such a wonderful words about our resort and staff.
We are very happy to know that you have spent an amazing vacation in our resort. I also would like to thank you for your great words for our rooms, food, staff and beach.
Thank you very much for the nice words once again.

We are looking forward to welcome you soon as our special guests.

With best regards
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I just came from the Sol Luna. Nice location, very good food, but indoor pool is closed, the water slides don't work. When you see the site presentation, they saying that aqua park is free for guests. What being free for guests, practicaly aqua park is just a lot of plastic for design, but the manager lies that can be open any time, when they have no intention to do it, because need more peple to hire. My son was very upset because we selected this hotel from many other better hotels just for this non existing aqua park. So be careful! Otherwise, if you go to this hotel to eat and sleep, it's ok! The pool from the front of the hotel is very small, the sunbed unsuficient, indoor pool closed, some bugs in the rooms, mess in the toilets and the Black Sea was very dirty. Anything else was just perfect! So, go there! you' ll get the time of your life. oh, i forgot to tell you about the mosqitos! A lot of its! Have a nice holiday! Vive la vida mr manager!

Room Tip: Do not give tips to receptioner! Is no use! Buy yourself seaview room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest ”Andreea 1313”

First I would like to thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor and for having been our guest as well. Many thanks for the nice words about our food and rooms.

At the same time I am very sad to know that you mention some negative aspects. I can conclude that you are not 100 % satisfied with your stay. I am very sorry that we haven’t managed to meet your expectations all around. I would like to make it clear that, as it was explained to you from our manager, the opening of the aqua park was outside our competencies, because we waited all the time for the license from the Bulgarian authorities. It is not true that we didn’t have the necessary staff, as we have appointed our staff for the aqua park in the beginning of the season. Now the license is here and we have opened the water park. I am really very sorry that your son was so disappointed but we have provided the information to all our partners in the beginning of the season that the aqua park is not open and that we can’t say when exactly we are going to open it. The indoor swimming pool is working only in May, September and October and this information is also provided to our partners.

The number of the sun beds is enough for the guests but on both – beach and pools, the toilets are cleaned on every hour like it is said in the standard, the water in the Black sea is sometimes different color because of the seaweed, but this doesn’t mean that it is dirty and till now we didn’t have any claims about the size of the pool.
Oh, I forgot to tell you about the mosquito doors – there are a lot them, actually all balcony doors have it, so if you keep it closed, there is no problem at all.

In conclusion, once again I am very sorry that we haven’t fulfill your expectations and your son was upset. I hope that you will give us a second chance and that we will be able to welcome you soon as our special guests.

Loano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have chosen this hotel from internet based on sandy beach photos and A.I. regime in order to let our 2 sons ( 4 and 10 ) to eat and play all day. We didn't asked for more and graciously this is what we have got.
The hotel is ON the beach and the beach is sandy , large and our children played a lot there.The sea is not abrupt and you can walk quite 30-50 meters until is deep , so that our children stayed in the water all time.The beach has 4 life guards ,and they take their job seriously , are very active and taking care not to happen anything.
The food was excellent , very diversified and we have rated it better than in some AI hotels from Turkey. We, the adults , are vegans so you can imagine that we have delighted ourselves
with all the salads , cheeses, olives they had and the Bulgarians are top of the top here.Our children had also from where to choose and the GREAT innovation this time was that they had ice creams everywhere from 9 am to 22 pm and I find this genial because on 33 degrees it was excellent to have an ice cream every 2-3 hours.
The rooms are big enough and well kept .
The animation for children was not so active but we didn't mind as they had also a pool for children where they made a couple of friends to play with.
So if you're coming just for your kids,sand,sea and good food this is a perfect location.

Room Tip: Don't come at the reception for accommodation before 13.30 , they will give you the rooms only a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Evgeniy G, Quality Manager at Sol Luna Bay, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear guest "ManoleaM",

I would like to thank you on behalf of the entire team here at Sol Luna Bay Resort for having chosen our hotel for your holiday and for the time spent to write a review in TripAdvisor as well. I also would like to thank you for the great words about our beach, food and service. We are so happy to know that your children had a real fun and that you have spent a wonderful "smiling" vacation.

We hope to be able to welcome you soon again in our hotel.

Ploiesti, Prahova, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have visited Sol Luna Bay Hotel in Obzor Bulgaria during July 25-30 2013, a family of 3 (2+baby).
The overall experience took into consideration the following Pros & Cons:
PROs:
1. Activity related: some restricted, localized activities (some shooting, darts, ping-pong, billiards, small pool activities, 2 hours musical entertainment in the evening)
2. Food related: plenty of adult food, of very different types (ground meat, chicken, pork and lamb, vegetables, fruits & sweets)
3. Room related:
a. baby crib in the room
b. clean sheets – never changed during the 5 days stay
c. in bathroom closed loop circuit of international songs with ON/OFF and volume facilities
4. Beach related: the sand was great (clean and fine granularity, no rocks) and the water was also clean (no garbage and floatables)

CONs:
1. Activity related:
a. we went to this particular hotel because they pretended to have an „Aqua park with 6 water slides for the guests of Sol Luna Bay hotel (free for guests)”; they do not have a functioning license and therefore the park is INACCESSIBLE.
b. The hotel facilities have also included on the website:
• „Indoor swimming pool: yes, free” – POOL is CLOSED
• „Jacuzzi: yes, free” – not working for ~ 3 years according to hotel employees
• „Towel service: yes, free” – you have to pay 30 BGN warranty for each towel ! They give it back to you at the end, but if you don't have the money you do not have towel service.
c. Sauna was reservable and paid by the HOUR.
2. Food related: no baby specific food (cream soups, no salt dishes, etc) for a family hotel
3. Room related:
a. the curtain blind was shorter than the wall gap (light came through)
b. the noise during the evening „show-animation” was extremely loud in the room, with all the interior doors/windows closed, and lasted until ~ 10PM in a hotel with many babies
c. bathroom fan was very loud – complained, and they sent a technician to solve the issue
d. bathroom bathtub was draining on the batroom floor and we have the pictures to prove this (my 1.5 years baby slipped in the bathroom
e. bathroom draining noise from rooms above was disturbingly high
f. the AC nozzle was leaking in the room after a 2-3 hours continuous run (on our head, clothes, floor etc.) and became noisy
g. plasture walls had visible cracks along their joints and bathroom finishes were poor at best
4. Beach related:
a. The hotel took no measures to remove the „reserved” status of deckchairs and parasols by tourists leaving the towels from the previous evening (even if is not permitted as the hotel states, but everybody was doing it and nobody from the hotel staff was removing them)

Lucky for us we have a parasol from home, and there was a lot of place directly on the sand, close to the water .

Conclusions:
1. if you want to go on a vacation to eat and drink a lot, with low-to-no expectations this is a great place to go
2. the hotel is far from the town, and in the hotel everything is extra charged because the free activities are not functional, so be prepared to bring your car and money to look somewhere else for anything to do (maybe a trip to Nessebar old town)

Room Tip: Rooms on the see side have a grate view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Evgeniy G, Quality Manager at Sol Luna Bay, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear guest "Stefania M".

First I would like to thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor and for having been our guest as well. Many thanks for the nice words about our activity, food, rooms and beach.
At the same time I am very sad to know that you mention more negative aspects than positive ones and the title of your comment related, I can conclude that you are not 100 % satisfied with your stay. I am very sorry that we haven’t managed to meet your expectations all around. I can assure you that we will undertake all necessary actions to fix the problems you have mentioned in your comment.
Let me just make it clear that, the aqua park and Jacuzzi related, a long time ago we have provided the information to all our partners that the aqua park is not open and that we can’t say when exactly we are going to open it. Regarding the Jacuzzi, nowhere on our web page it is written that we offer Jacuzzi. If you have seen this information, that was not on our webpage, for sure. The indoor swimming pool is working only in May, September and October and this information is also provided to our partners. The towel service is free but against deposit, about this all tour operators are informed as well.
In conclusion, once again I am very sorry that we haven’t fulfill your expectations and I hope that you will give us a second chance and that we will be able to welcome you soon as our special guests.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Very neat and tidy, well maintained resort on Black Sea (don't be fooled by the name, the water is blue!) Extremely good value. Approx $US2,500 for 6 adults, 2 children 7 days all food and drink (including beer, wine and basic spirits) included (ensure to book several months in advance). Staff overall very friendly and did a very good job especially given some guests behaved like seagulls at a rubbish dump. Some people, no manners at all!!! Why did I only give average rating.....because of a cardinal sin committed and my pet hate. Two single beds pushed together for my wife and I. Beds were also like sleeping on ironing boards. Big let down to an otherwise good property. Hoteliers be warned!! I travel extensively and will murder you for this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Evgeniy G, Quality Manager at Sol Luna Bay, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear "Andrew N',

many, many thanks on behalf of all our staff for your visit and for the comment in TripAdvisor as well. We are very glad that you have enjoyed yuor vacation. At the same time we are very sorry that you didn't 'slept well. We will try to do our best in order to guarantee the sleeping comfort of our guests for next season.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The cleanest resort ive ever been to -the cleaning staff work all day to make sure of this. The food is outstanding. You are literally spoilt for choice! The resort is stunning looking with great amenities and all the staff are wonderful- especially Ivan and marin from the animation team. Loads of activities to join in with so you'll never get bored! Well worth the scary bus journey to get here! Such a pity some of the guests from across the black sea don't appear to appreciate them- I've never seen such appalling 'manners' but credit to the staff who never complain. Thank you for a wonderful holiday, we're already looking at booking for next year!!

• Stayed July 2013
Evgeniy G, Quality Manager at Sol Luna Bay, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear guests "Mrslewi",

We are very happy to know that you have spent an amazing vacation in an amazing hotel. I will forward yuor regards to our animators and our cleaning staff as well. Thank you very much for the nice words once again.

We are looking forward to welcome you soon as our special guests.

Quality Manager

Been to Sol Luna Bay? Share your experiences!