“A GEM!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Valley Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Elena
Rainbow Valley Lodge
Save Saved
You added Rainbow Valley Lodge to your Saves list
200 meters south of A y A, Santa Elena 5240, Costa Rica   |
Boulder, Colorado, United States
“A GEM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My favorite place I stayed in Costa Rica! Beautiful and inexpensive rooms overlooking the forest. Gorgeous view and you can sit on the porch and watch for wild life, we saw toucans while enjoying a coffee:) The place was a walk from town, and Christian Porras, the manager, was there to help us with anything we needed. He is not only an excellent tour guide, but gave us numerous tips on where to go, eat, what to see, as well as plenty of discounts. He went out of his way to accommodate us and make our visit special! Loved this place and would definitely recommend it and a tour with Christian! Moss and I are so grateful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We loved this place. Spectacular view. Fun to see monkeys, a toucan and coatimundi too. We stayed 4 days in the last part of July and enjoyed the cloud forest, a night walk, canopy tour, frog pond and butterfly garden. These places were all recommended by Christian who was endlessly helpful in determining our schedule for the day and also assisted in finding nice beach lodging for the next leg of our trip. We stayed in the cabin which made it easy to cook our own breakfast and dinner. Our group included a 10 and 14 year old, my husband, myself and an extra adult who often travels with us. The kids had to bunk together on the big futon, but there was room for all of us. Beautiful location and economical.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the simplest room but despite the low cost, the room was extremely clean and comfortable with a breath-taking view to wake to each morning. The cloud forest setting was so relaxing but still a conveniently short distance from the town and leisure activities. Christian was a god send, with great tips, recommendations, and even led one of tours. He couldn't have been more helpful. Thank you for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I, our 2 teenage boys and my mother stayed in Costa Rica for 24 days. The Rainbow Valley Lodge was hands down our favorite place. - And everywhere in Costa Rica that we visited was fantastic! Christian Porras and his lovely wife go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. They called our taxis for us, helped with restaurants, got us discounts on activities, and helped us pick what I am sure were the perfect zip lines and trails as I did a lot of research prior. We stayed in the well kept cabin which was plenty of room for everyone. It was nice to have a full kitchen- well stocked with the best coffee! Staying here makes you feel like you are a part of the forest. You are sure to see a coatimundi. And if you are as lucky as we were, you will see the capuchin monkeys make the most entertaining display from the view of your patio! All of this for incredibly fair prices, too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We came to rainbow lodge not sure what to expect being that the room was so cheap, 35 for the night(ended up being lower though due to discounts when you book activities through the hotel;). However we were pleasantly surprised to find our room had a beautiful view of the lush green cloud forest, and was very spacious. The bed was comfy and the shower had some serious water pressure! Christian who manages the hotel is incredibly helpful and also very nice. He set us up on a night tour, which I highly recommend, and also ziplining with selvatura which was incredible. There are many ziplining companies in the area, but selvatura has the most scenic views and their zip lines aren't as fast as some of the other companies so you are able to enjoy the beautiful views;) I highly recommend this place! Also there's a little stray dog that guards the property (such a character) so bring some treats.
Brittain

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Rolf was most helpful in planning my trip to Costa Rica. He is full of information and very responsive to all my emails.

If you never been to Costa Rica, you will soon find out how expensive transports really are. I would recommend arranging all your transports and tours through Rolf. He can get you the best prices because he gives the commission back to his guest that he would otherwise receive from these companies. Come on, who does that these days? Rolf!

We booked quit a few tours through Rolf. Our favorite being zip lining. Let me just say this, even if you have done this before, you must do it again in Monteverde. You zip through amazing forest and "over a valley". At Extremo, the price includes the superman and a tarzan swing. Don't miss this one!

Onto the accommodation itself. We stayed in the upper unit for 3 nights. This is not your typical hotel and certainly not a luxury stay by any means. You may not have matching sheets and comforter but it will be clean. The bath towels were very rough but once again it was clean. I wish the curtain could block out a little bit more sunlight in the morning. I enjoyed the view from our kitchenette. It is called Rainbow Valley for a reason. You will frequently see one from your room. Please note, there is no TV or Wifi available in your room.

The white face monkeys did not show up during our visit but the two coati came daily. I would almost consider these coati residence of this property. They know the quests have bananas to feed them because Rolf provide them for you in your room. So as soon as you open your door, they come running.

The town is a short $2 taxi ride away if you don't feel like walking. There are plenty of restaurants in town. We tried El Marquez and got the free Cerviche (with Rolf's coupon). I got the seabass and it was perfectly cooked. I can't remember what my husband ordered but it wasn't that great. We also went to the Japanese restaurant for my birthday. It was a little pricy. The sushi was good but I would stay away from any cooked dishes. I would recommend trying the restaurant called "Bar Amigos". The food is good and very inexpensive. Excellent value!

Although I liked the upper unit, I think I would opt for the cabin next time because I like that it has an outdoor sitting area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ancaster, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay at Rainbow Valley Lodge. Our friends stayed in the lower room and we stayed in the cabin. Both were very well-equipped. This lodge was in the perfect location-- far enough away from the noise but still close enough to the reserves and restaurants. Rolf was very helpful and has done a wonderful job with this lodge. Christian and Hazel were wonderful hosts and very knowledgeable about tours in the region. Perhaps the gardens could be a little bit more maintained. Otherwise, excellent overall. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Rainbow Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!