“I miss it more and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monteverde Rustic Lodge

You added Monteverde Rustic Lodge to your Saves list
Monteverde Rustic Lodge
800 mts north from Santa Elena | Santa Elena Monteverde, Santa Elena 50309, Costa Rica   |
Announcement
Transportation Monteverde
las vegas
“I miss it more and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I were recommended to stay here while in monteverde so we booked a few nights and gave it a try. I am sooo glad we did too. The property is beautiful and lush with flowers and manicured gardens. The rooms are clean and nice with the basics to feel at home. At first I was a little weary about its distance from town but after getting my bearings of Santa elena, it was only a 5-7 min walk to the restaurants and stores. The area is quiet and safe even at night, which made walking home in the misty clouds fun and adventurous. The two guys running the show were Ernesto and Jose; both of which were super nice, welcoming and accommodating to us. I will also give an honorable shout out to the kitchen cook/ handy man. That dude rocks! He was always happy and making me smile while I had coffee each morning. Lets not forget breakfast too. It were delicious every morning. The one thing I will mention as a negative is that our room's walls were paper thin. On our last night we had neighbors and heard every single conversation they had. Other than that this place was perfect. I miss it more and more as the days go on.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Backnang
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at the Rustic Lodge for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much, especially the extremely friendly staff that helped us with everything during our stay. The room + bathroom were very spacious and nicely decorated. The entire wood design (everything resembling naturally grown pieces of wood) really stuck out - however the chairs thus lacked a bit of comfort. Nevertheless, we would recommend the hotel any time. The hotel is also very good for making trips into the region, especially as most of the tour agencies pick you up right at the hotel, so you needn't worry about transportation. Also the breakfast was really good - and they even go out of their way to prepare you something different if you'd like it. Thanks again for the nice experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was my third time visiting Costa Rica in a year and my third time in Monteverde. My first choice of lodges was the Monteverde Rustic Lodge, since I had a lovely stay there last November, but they were sold out during my visit, which was not surprising. Upon my return to Monteverde, I dropped in to say “hi” to Jose and also met Ernesto, the newest staff member at the Lodge. Both gentlemen were welcoming and friendly, and as eager to assist me with planning activities as if I were staying there.
Since I came by around breakfast time, Jose even offered me breakfast which was as delicious as I remembered from my previous stay back in November. I also used their computer and took shelter from the persistent rain, which included good conversation and a warm cup of tea.
Therefore, even though I was not a guest this time at the lodge, I still recommend them highly for the people that run it and their genuine care and concern that you enjoy their hometown and everything it has to offer, whether you are a guest there or not. It was so nice to actually feel like I did have friends and a “home” here if I happen to return again, especially as a woman travelling alone. Not everyone can say they have a home in Monteverde!
Jose also hooked me up with Erick Hidalgo, erick@costaricatripguide.com, who picked me up at the San Jose airport for the 3 hour ride to the airport. He was so fun to talk to, we stopped at a local fruit stand and even for lunch to break up the time. I would definitely recommend Erick for any independent touring you need. It is the warmth of the Costa Rican people, their delicious food, and beautiful landscapes, plus the exhilarating ziplining, that keep me coming back for more….however, I don’t think I can ever get used to the torrential rain! I must try the dryer season next time….

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Rustic Lodge in early August. This was one of our kids' (ages 7 and 9) favorite places during our 15 day trip though Costa Rica. This was in large part due to the warmth and genuine nature of Jose and Ernesto, who were fantastic hosts in accommodating our needs and providing a wonderfully satisfying breakfast every morning. Our room was rustic in the sense that it was basic with little frills but everything was well kept, in good working order and the room was very, very clean. While the family room we stayed in could have benefited from a few extra hooks for wet clothes and space to store clothing (Jose was very quick to bring us an extra table for our stuff when we asked), we look forward to staying at Rustic Lodge again on our next trip to Costa Rica. Thank you to Jose and Ernesto for taking such great care of us in Monteverde!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Puyallup, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently stayed at Rustic Lodge for 5 nights with a family group of 11. Jose and Ernesto both went out of their way to help us arrange tours, activities and transportation for our diverse group. We followed their recommendations and were not disappointed. They were friendly and personable made us feel as if we had found our Costa Ricaan family. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and squeeky clean. The location is along a quiet street within easy walking distance of down town Santa Elena and our favorite restaurant (I think we ate there at least 8 times) - Sabor Tico. We especially enjoyed the lanai outside our rooms where we sat in the afternoon to play games and watch the clouds and rain come in. Would definitely stay at the Rustic Lodge again if I am ever lucky enough to return to Costa Rica!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Rustic Lodge with my girlfriend. The nights I spent there were incredible. While the rooms and the grounds were excellent, the highlight was the kindness and hospitality shown by the staff. They provided honest and insightful advice, and went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. In addition to organizing my travel itinerary, they arranged my transport to and from the airport (the driver, Eric, from Costa Rica Trip Guide was awesome; he was friendly, knowledgeable, and took us to some great spots during the drive from the airport, which made the drive feel a lot shorter than it was). Overall, I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My friend and I had an excellent two-night stay at Rustic Lodge. We agree with the many reviewers who compliment the cleanliness, good breakfasts, lovely grounds, and good location. We were especially impressed by the warmth and consideration of management and front office staff. They set us up with an outstanding freelance guide for a nature tour. And they gave us generous use of their phone when we decided to change our departure plans.

We loved the artistic use of natural woods for furnishings and beautiful ceilings.

Our room had two comfortable beds and the Lodge completely met our needs inasmuch as we did not expect the amenities of a destination resort. There's something about Rustic Lodge that just makes you feel good about being there. Muchas gracias to Jose and colleagues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Monteverde Rustic Lodge? Share your experiences!