“great hostel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Tranquilo Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Elena
Casa Tranquilo Hostel
You added Casa Tranquilo Hostel to your Saves list
100 m downhill from the SuperCompro supermrket | Monteverde, Puntarenas, Santa Elena 5655, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“great hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

this hostel is really nice. you get a lot for this goid price. we had a private room with bath, and it was very clean and confortable. the kitchen is great to cook something and in the morning they provide fresh fruits, eggs and bread for you. breakfast is included. santa elena is very small, so you can walk everything by foot. we even could see a sloth in the tree right in front of the hostel. there are shuttleservices to monteverde and santa elena cloudforest for 1$. i really can recommend this hostel, i would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Good: Owner and buddy who works there are really nice and very helpful and super laid back Ask about the fig tree hike! cheaper to book ziplines through them. DYI Breakfast is generous with coffee, fruits, bread and eggs!

bad: Walls are paper thin and because everything is wood its really echo loud. Also lots of people seem to catch early bus in morning so not good if u live upstairs. The owner and family share the kitchen which in my experience is a no no especially because this one is really really small. They also use the common area as their home, so it's a bit uncomfortable to sit on the couch or use the computer when their kids are all over them. The cleaning lady is mean and constantly gave us a mean unwelcoming glare, she was always around but made more of a mess cooking than actually cleaning.

I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
David D, Owner at Casa Tranquilo Hostel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hi Friend thanks for your feedback... Im sorry for the inconveniences that you had at our place i understand that us using the kitchen can get a bit problematic for our guests and I promise this is temporary . We are rebuilding our home and our kitchen is unusable at the moment so we only have the one at the hostel to use. We are almost done with the remodeling and will be using our own place soon, hopefully next week, if everything goes as planned. Also we are planning to move the hostels kitchen downstairs to have more space for guests to move around. And the upstairs will be a nice common area for guests to hang out and share experiences. Im doing this as soon as possible, promise.
About the noisy guests, well im sorry about that, but there is not much i can do, they as everyone else are subjected to early bus schedules, and i apologize if they didnt let you rest properly. We do however have other rooms in the back that are quieter that the one you stayed in although they are a few dollars more, they have private baths and are built with concrete and not wood so they are alot more soundproof. We do however try to ask all our guests to please be silent and respectfull of other guests, but travelers sometimes forget. I actually found myself in the position of having to kick some guests out for the same reason last week, which i had never had to do before... i was very annoyed by this... It means a great matter to me that my guests feel as comfortable as possible at our place...
Also i know the cleaning lady can give strange looking glares, I´ve talked to her about the matter... Once again thanks for the feedback. Things are in progress and we are working hard to do things better always for our guests. Hopefully you can come and stay with us in the future and check out the changes we are making to our place.
I hope you have a great time in our country... All the best to you and your family...
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

the place and the town are both fitting perfactly together. you have the feeling of being in the clouds.
a very nice, simple but good place. hammocks, kitchen, friendly stuff, good rooms. i recommend that place

Room Tip: I recommodate the private room. its not a lot more expencive but has its own bathroom and is not loc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here for a night or two in march 2012. It was such an amazing way to end my trip, staying at this nice and comfortable hostel.
The staff were super friendly and genuine, the food was great, and of course the walk and climb up the fig tree was incredible.
The price is perfect and i believe you get more than what you pay for!
I'd recommend this place to anyone who wants a comfortable stay, where you feel at home, with knowledgeable and honest staff :)
Oh! and the dogs! Love the dogs, definitely adds a nice vibe to have them around.
I meant to write this review a long time ago but failed to...sorry david! But here i am, still haven't forgotten y'all. :)

-vanessa

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I really can't say enough about this hostel, but it was the best place I stayed in during my trip & the staff there helped me to enjoy my trip more.
The hostel has a laid back and homely atmosphere, its owned by a local guy & his family which gives you the feel of staying at a local place. It is a small hostel with I think 8 rooms in total. The reception area is really nice & clean and they have free computers with internet which you can use. There is also a free wifi in the room which works perfectly well. The hostel has a kitchen upstairs with all the necessay utensils and they serve free breakfast in the morning & free coffee all day.The room was big and clean, with clean bed & a couple of chairs. The bathroom was also very clean & the shower worked perfectly good and for the rate I got, it was a real bargain.
All of this is enough to make you happy with your stay, but the staff even makes more satisfied with your choice of the hostel. From the moment I entered the hostel I was greeted by a friendly young man & the owner of the hostel who took me to a tour in the hostel & showed me everything & told me about all the aminities. Then came the part where the staff really excelled in, which is helping you in organizing your daily tours and activities. I had only 2 days and I wanted to take the maximum of them, I kept exploring the options with them & they spent some time assisting me in organizing my days. They tipped me on the best tours, the best canopy parks, transportation options to the cloud forest & san jose and booked me some tours with a great discounted rates. Finally, they offer to take you on a free hike around town which ends at a tree which you can climb and sit on top which was amazing.
Finally, if you decided to visit Santa Elena/Monteverde, don't hesitate in booking this hostel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Case Tranquilo is an excellent place to stay in Santa Elena. The hostel has everything you need to enjoy the time in Monteverde. Very friendly stuff with good insider knowledge about Costa Rica. Free fruits and breakfast was a really nice extra. Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I picked casa tranquilo because of the recent positive reviews on trip advisor - booked my room the morning before my arrival and my expectations were completely surpassed - the staff was friendly and helpful in regards to recommendations on locations and suggestions - and the set up of the hostel (where the kitchen is located) it's easy to meet people to chat or to make plans together -- as a traveler by myself for these 3 days in CR - I couldn't be happier. The room was very clean, the water hot (which was my first hot shower is costa rica!), and they even provided me with a bath towel :-) highly recommended and plan to stay there in the future on my next trip to CR.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Casa Tranquilo Hostel? Share your experiences!