“Very charming and friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica

You added Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica to your Saves list
Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle no 6, from national route 606 to Tilaran | 100 mts Este. 100 Sur, Santa Elena 5556, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Santa Elena
New York, NY
“Very charming and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

The first review goes into great detail about Los Cipreces, and I agree with everything the reviewer wrote. This family-run B&B is a very simple, but charming place to stay. I loved that there was no TV or phone in the room -- with the wood paneling and the sounds of wildlife outside at night, I felt like I was at summer camp! My husband and I spent three nights there, and for the first two, I think that there was only one other room occupied. The last night, the hotel seemed completely booked, and when we went to breakfast the next morning, the tables were full. The dad (I think it was the dad) actually came to our room to get us when a table was free, which I think is a good example of how friendly and accommodating the staff is. It's true, they don't really speak English, but I think that Ana, who checked us in and seems to be the eldest daughter, understands/speaks a little. She was very helpful with booking tours, etc. We spent $50/night for the "high" season, which I think is much less expensive than many of the hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2006

I agree with the previous reviews. We really enjoyed our stay here. They are really freindly and the rooms are very clean.

• Stayed December 2005
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2005

We stayed two nights at this nice bed and breakfast set in a hilly neighborhood. It was rainy season, and the bugs liked coming in out of the wet, but other than that, it was nice. Your clothes will smell like cypresses after this place, as the rooms are made of the wood. The staff was very helpful. Know your Spanish as they did not speak English if that is an issue for you. It was centrally located and they have a night tour of a local company run nature reserve. It was fun, but the fact that lots of people take the tour at night, even in the low season, made for lots of noise to scare anything away. Taxis are cheap in town, and the room was a good deal.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

My brother and I stayed at the Los Cipreces B&B for two nights in mid-August of 2005.

Los Cipreces is located in a comparatively quiet residential area just north of the cloud forest tourist hub of Santa Elena. Note that when most people say they are going to Monteverde, they are in fact going to Santa Elena. Monteverde proper and the associated cloud forest is located a few KM further down the road from Santa Elena. Santa Elena has its own cloud forest with both primary and secondary growth. By private car, it will take about 4 hours to reach Santa Elena or Monteverde from the Juan Santamaria airport (SJO) in San Jose. Cost is about $100 per car. The bus from San Jose takes much longer. Don't think about driving yourself unless you've done it before and pay extra for full car insurance. Once you leave the Pan American highway expect very bumpy and potholed dirt road that is uncomfortable for some but has beautiful scenery.

Los Cipreces is NOT a "luxury hotel". There are very few, if any, hotels of that class in the Monteverde cloud forest region. The 4-circle ranking I have provided was assigned based on 1) How Los Cipreces compared to my pre-arrival expectations, and 2) How Los Cipreces compared to other hotels I stayed at in Costa Rica during my trip. Compared directly to US luxury-class hotels, it would probably lose 1-1.5 points but that is really not a fair comparison to make. If you are looking for a concierge, cable TV, 5-star dining, golf courses, Costa Rica is probably not your ideal destination. Hotels that offer that level of service typically cost well north of $200 in CR. US conveniences come with US prices plus tax and gratuity.

The location of Los Cipreces is marked by several signs that point the way to the hotel from Santa Elena. The scenery around the hotel itself is not remarkable, but it generally appears safe and pleasant. It takes perhaps 5-10 minutes to walk from the center of Santa Elena to Los Cipreces, but the walk is mainly uphill and rocky. A cab will cost $2 and is recommended for the less fleet of foot. Upon arrival, you enter a hallway in the main building (which I believe is in part residential) and will find a simple service desk on the left, and a communal television and computer further along. Guest rooms are located in a second building behind the main house. In appearance and structure this building is not unlike a typical small US motel with outside room entrances, but it appears cleaner, more freshly painted, and in general seems very pleasant. Between the main building and the guest housing is a simple green garden area with some really nice touches like tables and chairs made out of tree trunks. The room I stayed in was equipped simply with comfortable but entirely functional furnishings. There was one double and one single bed, a night stand with lamp, an electric fan, and storage shelves. The bathroom was equipped with a real hot-water shower with decent water pressure. There's no electric suicide shower here, thank heavens - this was the best shower on our trip! Please note, as with most parts of Costa Rica, there are admonishments to not flush anything that's not "natural", including toilet paper. That takes some getting used to but again is typical for nearly all small CR hotels. Walls are nicely panelled with wood. Floors are very clean dark red tile. Beds were comfortable. Cost of the double room for two people including breakfast was $40/night during the rainy or "green" season.

Service at Los Cipreces is friendly and helpful. When we stayed at the hotel, I believe we were the only guests there. They are fairly new and not partcularly well advertised, although they do have relationships with local tour agencies. Breakfast is normally served beginning at 7 and is typical for CR, consisting of a small fruit plate, fresh-squeezed OJ, coffee, and gallo pinto & huevos (black beans and rice, and scrambled eggs). Breakfast is served in a small dining room located in the main building. According to a flyer in the room, the kitchen and fridge are available for guest use, but we did not try this out. The first morning we were there, we had a Santa Elena cloud forest tour scheduled to leave at 7 AM. The staff very kindly agreed to make breakfast for my brother and I at 6. The following morning they served breakfast at 6:30 to accomodate yet another scheduled tour. All in all I found the staff to ber friendly, helpful, and accomodating.

Other notes:
-- At least one lady on staff seemed to speak some english, but my brother and I mainly stuck to Spanish (he more than I).
-- No phones or TVs in any of the rooms. This seems typical for CR - none of the other hotels we stayed at had phones or TVs in the rooms, either.
-- Down a hill near the hotel there is a soccer field with an adjacent bar, small restaurant (called a soda), and variety store (pulperia). We ate at that soda the night of our arrival and it was pretty good but the portions were small. We ate our other lunches and dinners at a couple inexpensive sodas in Santa Elena. As I mentioned before, Santa Elena itself is just a short walk or cab ride away. By the time you wait for a cab it will probably be faster to walk downtown, but you might want to consider a cab to return to the hotel if it's dark and raining.
-- US cash accepted at the hotel.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay at Los Cipreces. The hotel made a very good base of operations for touring. The accomodations are basic, but clean and comfortable, and the service is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica? Share your experiences!