“Eat 2 meals somewhere else for the price” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 30 Restaurants in Santa Elena
Cuisines: Japanese
Summerland, Canada
“Eat 2 meals somewhere else for the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

OK, after being the only ones in the restaurant for lunch and watching 14 various people come, look at the menus and prices, and leave without eating, I'd like to make the following suggestions to the owner:
(A) lower the prices! We were somewhat shocked by the final bill for lunch for our family - you could eat 2 meals elsewhere for the price.
(B) you could partly accomplish this by cutting the roll size down by 40% and the number of pieces to 6 instead of 8 whoppers (I was full with one roll order and had unfortunately ordered 2)
(C) offer some cheaper choices for the many customers on a tighter budget (there are lots of backpackers here).
We enjoyed our lunch mostly but would not go back mainly due to poor value.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dublin
“Food ok but excessive hidden charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We had some nice sushi here. Service was good. However when we received the bill there was 23% tax added on and we were told service was not included. In some other restaurants they add 13% tax and some also add 10% service charge. Any restaurant that does this states it on the menu or a sign on display. However there was no sign or mention on the menu here. We asked the chef when he came to our table who told us tax was 20%, and service was not included. This means the total bill would be ~35% more than quoted in the menu, which I feel is quite excessive. I wouldn't mind if it was displayed or even if it amounted to actual Costa Rican tax (13%), but I feel these charges were hidden and applied in a clandestine manner. As such I felt confused and taken advantage of. I wont return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Magog, Canada
“Very average and overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were looking for a change of pace. Did not expect Japanese food in this town. When I saw the menu I first thought that I was converting colones wrong. The food is nothing special and many menu items were not available. I cannot understand the first review below.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I read about this place in Lonely Planet and decided to check it out for a change of pace and it's claim of a "classically trained sushi chef". What a mistake.

The food is completely overpriced. Approx $14 for a regular flask of sake. Maki rolls were in the $10 range. Prices wouldn't be an issue for us if the food quality supported them, but sadly the it was mediocre at best. The maki rolls were made with hard and dried out rice. I ordered the ramen (which came out after we had finished our dinner) and it was made with instant noodles! Highly disappointing experience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing food and huge meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Sushi at this place blew my mind we first asked the owner for directions to the bank and when he gave us such helpful information we decided to eat there the next day for lunch the meals we absolutely amazing the size and the detail they put into our meals was so much more than I ever expected! when your up in the mountains in central America you don't expect Sushi as good if not better than Japan the service was great the chef came out and asked us about our meals and when we told him we couldn't eat it all he put them into take away containers for us and even they had amazing presentation. I honestly highly recommend eating at this place the meals are amazing the service is amazing the meals are huge and best of all for what we got the bill rather cheap considering we couldn't eat dinner after. A must in Monteverde!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere