“Gorgeous setting, beautiful rooms, welcoming staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monteverde Country Lodge

You added Monteverde Country Lodge to your Saves list
Monteverde Country Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   3 blocks south and 50 meters east from the Rafael Arguedas elementary school | Cerro Plano, Santa Elena 506, Costa Rica   |
Helena, Montana
“Gorgeous setting, beautiful rooms, welcoming staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is an absolute gem of a hotel. The grounds are on the end of a secluded road within walking distance to the little town yet far enough away to feel absolutely secluded. The rooms are large and beautifully appointed. Nice bathroom, showers with plenty of hot water and rice wood inlaid ceilings. Very comfortable beds.
The restaurant has delicious, well presented meals and live entertainment! The grounds are beautifully landscaped with fountains and tropical flowers.
The staff are amazing and willing to go the extra mile to make your stay memorable.
The only drawback is the lack of a pool or hot tub.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor all open to a large veranda with rocking chairs. A central common room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
GuidoMontero, Director General at Monteverde Country Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Groupleader, thank you very much for your comments, your made us very proud of the results of our hard work and attention to every opportunity to become better. There’s still lots to do, yet, we are enthusiast about the energy of our staff and the positive impressions of the works we undergo in order to create a more appealing, welcoming, facility.
We still have several details to work with,, you obviously stayed at our superior rooms, located on the second floor, with high ceilings and lots of light, big bathrooms etc,,, we wish soon enough all of our rooms will be as good as our superior rooms, and guests will be pleased to stay with us regardless of the actual room they stay in.
Our sister property: Hotel Poco a Poco has swimming pool and Jacuzzi available for guests at Country Lodge, we have consider the possibility of building a swimming pool here on the grounds, but we as for the next future we have other priorities in hand.
Thank you very much. Best regards and happy travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

When I first arrived at the Monteverde Country Lodge, I was impressed. The setting is nice and somewhat isolated, at the end of a road, the courtyard area has a nice fountain. It's rustic and basic, but clean and peaceful.

My only complaint, and it is a rather large one that would cause me to consider other properties, is that the walls are very thin. I could hear conversations plainly from not only the rooms next to me, but the rooms one further down on either side. I know this because I was traveling with a group and know the people's voices in the other rooms. We were right around the courtyard, which was loud whenever people were speaking in the courtyard.

If I were to stay there again, I would ask for one of the rooms on the outskirts of the property. These are probably better and quieter.

The staff were very helpful and I loved the town of Monteverde. I felt very safe there walking around. The people in town were welcoming, friendly, and helpful. Would definitely visit Monteverde again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings Mrs 133, I´m very glad to found Monteverde to be a good choice during your trip to Costa Rica, the warmth of our neighbors and the friendliness of our people is also what makes Costa Rica an special travelling destination. We are working together with other colleagues and entities of the area so we can provide our guests with a safe, welcoming destination so they can emjoy and experience the Cloud Forest.
Thank you for your compliment about our staff and service, we are very glad you felt well attended and I´m glad we achieved a good first impression of our property, we have worked very hard to make changes, fix and remodel in order to offer more welcoming facilities.
You are right about the thin walls, this is our biggest issue and more recurrent complaint. We have been replacing walls and filling walls with isolating materials so e can stop the noise from travelling so easily from room to room.
Yet, we have to really get into work with our older section of rooms, were the situation really gets to the point you described. So far, we have isolated 4 rooms, put of 15,, and we are waiting on the season to drop, so we can really put our mind into this,,
The rest of the properties’ 45 rooms, do not have this problem,,, of course you can tell when someone is staying on the room above yours,, yet, this is not a reason to upset or disturb the guests below,, I want to be able to fix this by the end of 2014,,, before December,, thank you we are going to pay more attention to room asignements during low season so guests are not affected by next door neighbors.
Thank you.
Arvada, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I can't compliment the staff enough - everyone was incredibly helpful. The front desk people were great getting us taxi's, answering questions, and making phone calls for us. It was the best hotel service I've gotten in a very long time. Our room was clean, tidy, and comfortable. The reason for my average rating came about midnight when I was clearly able to listen to normal conversations that were occurring in the courtyard. Our room was on the upper level and was overlooking the courtyard which was a great view. I've been in rooms that had thin walls, but somehow it seemed like the sounds were amplified. People were just normally talking and it woke me from a dead sleep, and I'm a heavy sleeper. I thought there was someone either in my room or standing directly outside. When I opened the door, I saw a few people hanging out in the courtyard having a very normal, low key conversation. I also got to hear every detail of my neighbors morning romp, and I thought they were using my shower after since it was so loud in my room.

I would stay here again. The staff was really, really great. Beyond great. The room was clean, the breakfast was hot and tasted great. Staying for one night it worked well, but if I was there for three or four nights, I think being woken up by those tiny noises would have added up. If you do stay here (again, I recommend staying here) then get something outside the courtyard, they have a building that's to the left of the main one we stayed in. That way you can get all the great stuff I talked about, with a bit more quiet.

Room Tip: Not overlooking the courtyard. Get something on one of the ends of the property.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GuidoMontero, Director General at Monteverde Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hello Steven, We can not thank you enough for your comments about our service, dedication and our staff members. This is our goal everyday: to give as much as possible and achieve great service.
You are right about the way noise travels,,, perhaps the surroundings are soooo quiet that every sound feels much louder... Perhaps,, I know we have worked with wall isolation, celling isolation, door frame isolation, etc. New rooms are made of concrete, yet, we are fiking some details in terms of first floor/ second floor noise reduction.. etc. I really thank you for putting it in such a detailed explanation, sometimes we blame the "loud guests " there are always one or two of those, yet, you have made it really clear,, its just a matter or normal conversation, motion, etc,,
We are underoing small modifications in such areas,, hope all rooms and sections will be isolated by next season.
Thanks for your comment on our breakfast, we have made small changes,, and they seem to be working...
thank you again, I´ll print your note and will forward it to our staff,,
Gracias y felices viajes!!!
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

It's always disappointing to walk into a room and wrinkle you nose against the smell. It wasn't obviously dirty and we couldn't locate the source. Perhaps sewage problems? Fortunately the room could be aired by opening doors to the balcony. Reasonably comfortable but fairly basic. The restaurant was OK although the menu was limited. One morning was a buffet breakfast which was lamentable otherwise a la carte which was adequate. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GuidoMontero, Director General at Monteverde Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Greetings Mr Jhon.
Thank you for taking the time to write and let us know about this situation, we were not aware of a swage smell or similar, perhaps it was a problem with moisture in the room, or something similar.
Thank you for mentioning that the room was indeed clean, yet, I apologize for the bad experience. Thank you for having the patience of letting the room air a little by opening doors and windows. I appreciate your understanding, I want to stress that we could have switch you to another room if you had requested the change. We cater to provide the best service possible, I know problems happen all the time, but it’s a matter of taking the right corrective actions.
Our hotel offers basic but comfortable facilities and we are working on the breakfast fare, a la carte breakfast only available when occupancy is low…
On behalf of our staff: muchas gracias!!! Es un gusto servirles!!
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

we stayed here on a B&B basis for 2 nights the room was basic, clean with coffee making facilities, no fridge, the bed was comfortable, we stayed here so that we could do the Sky Tram & Sky Walk & we did a tour of EL Trapiche farm. The negative points was that the hotel was set in lovely gardens with a nice play area for children but no sun loungers which would have been nice to relax on as we arrived with a few hours to spare before being picked up to be taken to EL Trapiche Farm. There was not enough time to get to their sister hotel Poco a Poco & back before we were being picked up. Hotel Poco a Poco the sister hotel was a short taxi ride away, this hotel was set in lovely gardens, the pool it said was an indoor, this is not an indoor pool you would have in the UK the pool just had a shelter over the top so you can enjoy the pleasure of the pool if it’s raining & still sit outside if you want.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GuidoMontero, Director General at Monteverde Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Greetings Mrs Tracey.
Thank you for your comments, I’m very glad you enjoyed your time spent in Monteverde, the tours you took are among some of the best in the area.
Our rooms are indeed basic, yet they offer a warm ambience and Mountain style comfort. We have incorporated more and more pick nick tables, chairs and coffee tables, chairs by the balconies and corridors and other areas of the garden and hotel where guests can enjoy a relaxed time when they finish tours of while they enjoy a quiet time during their stay. I do believe we have enough places to sit and enjoy, yet, you are right, no actual lounge chairs available.
Our sister property is there to welcome our guests at Country Lodge: heated pool, Jacuzzi, kids play house, spa, excellent restaurant etc. I´m glad you took the time to visita and enjoy, this is our biggest comparative advantage, we can offer our guests a lot of added values for a very reasonable rate.
Thanks for explaining the proper terms to refer or describe our pool, I was afraid you did not enjoy it, i´m very glad you did.
Thank you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Monteverde was our first stop of the 8 night trip to Costa Rica. Our group of 11 reserved 3 rooms. We hired a van to take us to the hotel from the airport and it took our driver at least a half an hour to find the hotel. For some reason the hotel is not on some of the Santa Elena maps and the driver confused it with the Monteverde Gardens Lodge. I gave the overall 4 stars because I specifically chose and reserved 3 rooms through Hotels.com with one double and 2 single beds each and then confirmed with the hotel via email and was promised roll away beds, we were given 3 rooms with 2 double beds each on arrival. We were told they could not give us roll away beds. The beds in our rooms were more like king size beds, so we all were able to fit just fine. We had a corner room #73, right on the way to the restaurant and the office and it was pretty noisy from the wind and from other hotel guests passing by. We spent most of our time hiking and were so tired at night so that didn't bother us much. If you are planning to spend more time at the hotel ask for ether a second floor room or at the part of the hotel that is further away from the restaurant.
Were didn't have time to use either a pool or a restaurant at Poco a Poco - the sister property, as we spent mornings and afternoons hiking and it was too cold and windy to go there in the evenings. The breakfast was included and we thought it was very good, served in a hotel's restaurant. It included fruits (papaya, pineapple), orange juice, cheese, fruit yogurt, scrambled eggs, some kind of sausage we didn't try, rice and beans, jams, breads, coffee and/or tea.

• Stayed April 2014
GuidoMontero, Director General at Monteverde Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hello Mrs J, thank you for your review, I´m sorry the driver had a hard time finding our lodge, we do have a sing at the main intersection and are posted in most of the Maps of Santa Elena, guests of drivers usually give us a call and we can point them on the right direction.
I´m sorry we had a misunderstanding with the number of beds per room, some booking companies do not specify very well, we did check on the number of people per room and thought we had enough space.
Room number 73 is a corner room on the way to the restaurant, yet, not close to the actual restaurant and even if people walk by, it is not bad.
I´m glad to enjoyed breakfast, we do offer quite a fare but somehow, some people find it still poor.
Thank you for your comments, It´s great to know you did get a good feel of Monteverde and its Cloud Forest. Thank you for choosing Monteverde Country Lodge.
Ra'anana, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were a family of six (my wife, three kids 13, 17, 21 and my daughter's boyfriend), we got the the hotel after a very wiry day of long travels. We got two rooms on the parking and on the road. the rooms were very small, we couldn't pack all four kids together, so my youngest moved in with us. We didn't had the energy to argue with reception on rooms that night, but the day after after long explanations we were told (around noon) we could move the kids to a much larger room in a much better location. This room was with separate bedrooms and so much more adequate. My wife and I stayed in the road/parking room for the second night as well.
The appearance of the good rooms and inner areas of the hotel are much more appealing and I guess I would have a much better review if we were getting those in the first place.
Breakfast is OK-, not much of a selection.
I did saw an armadillo near the room at night, so that was great...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello Gev, thank you for your review on Monteverde Country Lodge. We do have two different types of rooms, yet, they both should be comfortable and suitable for families traveling together, despite the fact that your kids are full grown already.
I want to reffer to the "near the road" rooms: our hotel neighboors the road on three out of four sides, nevertheles, this road has indeed very few traffic, pretty much guests arriving or departing from our premises. I understand how you could feel dissapointed at first impression, yet,, I´m sure the noise from traffic was not a problem. The same applies to our parking, and by the way,it is far enough from rooms on the back of the propperty.
This fact should not negatively affect your stay. I´m glad we were able to relocate your kids onto a bigger room, thank you for your comments and we´ll try to accomodate our guests needs from the first moment.
There´s always a lot of wildlife around the lodge, armadillos, porcupines, raccons, agutis, birds etc.. I´m glad you got to enjoy that!!!

Been to Monteverde Country Lodge? Share your experiences!