“Good location, great breakfast but budget accomodations and uncomfy bed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tree House

You added Hotel Tree House to your Saves list
Hotel Tree House
| In front of the catholic church, Santa Elena 60109, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Santa Elena
washington, dc
“Good location, great breakfast but budget accomodations and uncomfy bed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed here for two nights during our stint in Monteverde/Santa Elena area. We chose not to rent a car, so we were somewhat limited to staying in the downtown area of Santa Elena. First the pros of the Tree House Hotel: great full breakfast, awesome coffee and nice waiters. Centrally located and an easy walk to various restaurants, activites, etc. Now the cons: this hotel is 2 star a best. Overall it was an adequate, budget hotel that I would put in on a scale of about a Motel 6/Red Roof Inn back home. We got a good deal and chose to spend our money on food, activities (do the Extremo Zipline tour - highly recommended) but the beds just about killed us by Night #2. I have never slept on a harder, more uncomfy matress! All in all, an ok place to stay if you want to be in downtown Santa Elena and don't want to spend more than $50 on a room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Pro: It's in the middle of the town. The staff are friendly. Breakfast is included. The coffee are very pretty (they create art with the foam in latte & capuccino).

Con: There's a night club just behind the hotel and the window just let the sound come through. The sheets and blankets are not clean. I got bug bites. I couldn't get any sleep at all because the noise and being biten awake. The food in the restaurant are too salty.

In conclusion: I recommend not to stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

I'll start my review by mentioning the good things about this hotel (there were a couple): it was a great location (right in the middle of Santa Elena), the room was clean and had an in room safe, the restaurant was good.
Now the bad: Customer service does not exist at this hotel. I paid for my room in advance through Anywherecostarica.com and had a voucher showing my room paid in full. The girl at the front desk could not find my reservation and kept insisting I owed for the room (in full). I did not have this problem with any other hotel I booked through Anywherecostarica.com. using the vouchers, so I believe this was a hotel problem. They finally figured out that I had a room reserved and it was paid for but were so unfriendly (almost rude) about the entire situation. I didn't encounter one friendly person that worked here during my stay of 2 nights.
Don't expect to get a good nights sleep here due to the constant noise. There is a dance club next door and it's very loud. I found myself locked out of the hotel one night and had to find help getting in since the staff failed to mention that the front doors are locked after a certain hour and there is a bell (at the top of the door) to ring for the security guard. I'm not a picky traveler and the service has to be pretty bad for me to complain. Trust me, this place has the worst customer service in Costa Rica!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff and service!!!
  • Stayed February 2009
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

As other reviewers have said, the bathrooms are not spectacular but the price is right! My two friends and i stayed one night during a hurricane, and while I was offput by the linoleum floor and cheap-looking bedspreads, having two restaurants in the building proved to be a godsend! The proprietor also seems very nice, which was a nice change from some other hotels we visited during our trip.

PS - the Italian restaurant in the building has arguably the best garlic bread I've ever tasted. EVER.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

We arrived at Santa Elena in Monteverde looking for a place to stay. We heard a recommendation from a friend and came here. It is a really unique place with the huge tree inside the hotel. Two nice restaurants are available inside, both offer live music every night. The rooms are clean but the shower wasn't amazing. Also, it stays a bit loud at least until 10PM. Great location straight in the middle of Santa Elena.
All in all, very good stay in a unique place and good location.

• Liked — Unique, great location, good restaurants
  • Disliked — Loud
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed at the Tree House Hotel as it was right in the center. The room was nice and clean, had a TV and balcony. For $ 40 what you would expect. The problem was that this was one of the most noisiest places I ever stayed.

The first night (Fri) a live band was playing until 1 am in a bar (Amigos) around the corner. Not sure what sound system they had, but it was like they were almost playing in our room.

The next morning we almost checked out, but the mgmt told us that there was only loud music on Fri and Su night. Well, the next night there was 'only' a DJ. Music was somewhat less loud, but lasted until 3AM and the locals meet in front of the bar (under our balcony) chatting and coming and going the whole night on their mopeds. It was impossible to sleep, although I am pretty noise resistant.

Whilst the Tree House is probably the closest hotel to the bar, we heard that other people checked also out from nearby hotels to avoid the noise.

Nice rooms, but impossible to sleep.

Been to Hotel Tree House? Share your experiences!