“Rooms were just okay, but the hotel was cute!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tree House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Elena
Hotel Tree House
Save Saved
You added Hotel Tree House to your Saves list
| In front of the catholic church, Santa Elena 60109, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Santa Elena
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Rooms were just okay, but the hotel was cute!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Eight of us shared a room in this hotel to save on overall expense. Our room had 6 beds a couple of which were queen-size, most of which were twin beds. The room itself was nothing special, except the kids got a kick out of the towels shaped as swans and elephants. I couldn't tell if the lack of hot water was because of the hotel, or because I was one of the last in our group to get a shower. The night we stayed there were residual winds from a hurricane off the coast and at times it sounded like the roof was going to blow right off of the building, but that wasn't really the fault of the hotel.

The room did have free wifi, which was good as most of us had wifi-enabled devices so that kept everyone happy and quiet in the room.

The best part of this hotel is not the rooms. It's the ambiance of the hotel itself and the restaurant. There is a tree growing literally in the middle of the building with the check-in being on the 1st floor, the restaurant on the 2nd floor and the rooms up on the 3rd. When you are dining in the restaurant, it is open to the tree and a balcony that overlooks the little village. The food was very good, and at periods during the day, a small mariachi-style band would play. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at hotel tree house for 2 nights but where not impressed. To start with the good thing..
..the location. It is in the middle of the village. So you can walk to shops, restaurants and supermarkets. The room is very basic and had no atmosphere. it was clean but that's all. There is a bar around the corner which was really loud till late at night. The staff of the hotel is not really friendly, helpfull and don't give you a welcome feeling. The restaurant is nice decorated and don't think the rooms will be the same. But the prices are overrated and the staff is not friendly aswell.

we paid $50 and we don't think that is worth it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We would be happy with the hotel - it is centrally located, steps from the bus stop, rooms and beds are clean and spacious, but they didn't have hot water in the shower (water didn't even begin to warm up, it was icy-cold). Staff doesn't speak English well enough to explain what exactly happened, but from what we could gather they had some problem with water heater that could not be fixed in the 2 nights that we were going to stay there. So they reimbursed our deposit and found us another hotel (called "Oasis", which was a truly horrible place, with dirty towels and blood-stained sheets and only marginally warm water). I am really sorry to write bad review, and I truly hope this was just a one off problem that will be eventually fixed, but to find out that you can't take a warm shower after a long day hiking in cold and rainy weather, and having to pack and move to another hotel late in the night left us very disappointed.
BTW, the restaurant at the hotel is really nice, food and service were great, do try it out. The whole idea to build the house around a huge tree is kind of cool.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
amurillo, Owner at Hotel Tree House, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
This review is not for Hotel Tree House. As she mentions, at that time we did not have hot water, since then we refunded the money and this person went somewhere else, she seems to have had many problems at the other hotel and is posting a bad review on our hotel for problems she had at the other place.
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I visited the Hotel Tree House during my first solo travel ever for my 30th birthday in September 2012 for 3 nights. I booked it through anywherecostarica.com only a day before my departure, which I highly recommend for travel in Costa Rica. It was very conveniently located in the heart of Santa Elena and the excursions I booked were all a short drive from the location. If the excursions did not provide transportation, you could easily catch a cab right outside and it would cost less than $10 (Jorge is a regular cab driver there - he provided great service and became my personal cab driver.. He even took me back to San Jose for a much cheaper price than otherwise). There were small shops, a traditional restaurant (pinto gallo for breakfast was great) and fast food shop (amazing tacos) and a supermarket right around the corner. You pretty much have everything you need around you. The hotel was ultra cheap (about $25/night) which was a delight and was very adorable. I was actually the only guest for my first 2 nights, but since I was out and about I did not realize it until my last night where I was joined by a second lone traveler :). I believe the hotel only had 5 rooms for booking.

The restaurant was a little pricey but considered to be the best around. The food was AMAZING and worth the money. The waiters provided exceptional service, especially one whose name I don't remember right now, but he is into photography. Loved him dearly!

There was not always someone at the reception desk, but someone was always available to open the door when you ring the doorbell (that was the only way to get in before staff arrived and after they left). The few people that I saw working there, were extremely nice and friendly. I would leave very early in the morning and by the time I returned (11-noon), my room would be clean, with new towels. I have no complaints.

The side I was on could be a little noisy because of the club right behind the hotel but it was no big deal. I actually appreciated feeling like I was surrounded by people while on a mountain. The music was actually pretty good and diverse (sort of like top-40 for you party-goers). The club is huge by the way :) and people staying in nearby areas go here to party. On the day I arrived Costa Rica was playing a football match and the place was packed. It was a very cool experience.

I went to Selvatura Park for ziplining and suspension bridge tours. I visited and walked the cloud forest by myself. I also went horse backriding at Finca La Estrella, which was a $4 cab ride from the hotel. I could not have asked for a better experience, better excursions and a more amazing time!

It rained a lot because it was winter (also the reason why there were few people in the excursions - only 3 others zip-lined with me and horse riding was just me, which made the experience more personal with my guide). I usually rained past 4 PM which was fine because my excursions were early and I'd be back in the hotel by that time. I sat in the restaurant during this time which was very relaxing to hear the rain as there is literally a tree growing from inside the hotel. I would also use the time to interact with other tourists staying in nearby areas.

For those who like to thank God while on vacation, the community church is located right across the street from the hotel. I went to Sunday Service on El Dia de Los Ninos (Children's Day - just like Mother's and Father's Day in the US which I thought was amazing). I do not know where so many locals came from but the church was filled and the service was beautiful - definitely a different experience while on vacation and I felt right at home.

I love Costa Rica.. and for someone who planned the trip spontaneously overnight, it was very inexpensive (about $700 including airfare, hotel and all excursions). Would definitely stay there again in a heartbeat! PURA VIDA!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Utopia, NB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

It was a different experience. The room was comfortable. When the bar scene stopped it actually seemed louder. The wind blew all night. It was like sleeping in a tree house... It took a long time for hot water, and one of us had a cold shower waiting for the water to heat up...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Avon, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our party of 10 people spent one night at Hotel Tree House. This hotel is located conveniently in the center of town, on a very busy main street, surrounded by shopping and restaurants. Our room was spacious and clean for 3 of us. The bathroom was small but effecient. As the name implies, this hotel resembled a home in a tree, as there is a huge live tree growing up the middle of the open air lobby, with the rooms opening out to the lobby. The staff was helpful and friendly. We had drinks and food in the well designed bar, which was good, but did not eat in the restaurant, as we chose to eat in town. Very good value for the money!

Room Tip: We made our reservations through Anywhere Costa Rica, which we highly recommend! Request a room awa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed for two nights, and can say you get what you pay for. It is right in the middle of town on the main street so you do hear the street noise of cars which dies down in the later eve. I didnt hear any clubs. Room was clean, satelite tv and fan. Two double beds and very spacious. Free wifi for entire stay, ask reception for continual password. Bathroom had a mouldy smell but had hot water and clean towels all the same. The price is the same as a hostel room so having your own room and bathroom for the same price is tops. Restaurant food is great. Staff are very friendly and prompt. Order the beef nachos and white wine, you wont be dissapointed :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear so youre not close to the road
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Tree House? Share your experiences!