“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Santa Elena
More attraction details
Owner description: While staying in Monteverde don’t miss the Sky Tram that will lead you up to the Continental Divide and to one of the highest mountains in the area.  Sky Tram is a guided tour where you can have the opportunity to observe the cloud forest outstanding biodiversity, the majestic Arenal Volcano and the Nicoya Gulf.The Sky Trek’s zip lines go from mountain to mountain, allowing you fly through a cable at speeds up to 40 miles per hour and heights of over 520 feet.  There are also 5 observation towers that surpass the cloud forest treetops, providing amazing panoramic views our company has a braking system that was superior to what I'd experienced in other places.The zip linesthemselvesare long and fast, when the clouds cleared, we were able to see the ocean, which was amazing. It is a really great experience.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Andover, MN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We first did the nature hike on the bridges followed by zip lining. I am not a thrill seeker so zip linning was a challenge for me. The crew was great and took care of all of us and made my daughter feel special. I highly recommend doing zip linning with Sky Trek.

Brecon, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Exhilarating and scary......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We did the sky trek zip wires and it was an awesome experience ! We were told this is one of Costa Rica's safest zip line operations, don't know if this is true or not. However, the staff did take very good care of us and did provide us with confidence in the whole set up! Now I admit I was terrified to begin with - and the cable car ride up the mountain does seem to go on forever - but after the first 2 or 3 lines I began to relax and enjoy the experience. There are 10 cables altogether ( including the short practice cable) and our group took around 2 hours to complete them. A fantastic experience !

Visited November 2012
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great fun, well organised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

To put it simply, you get a cable car up through the cloud forest and zip-wire back down to base. It is a blast. The cable car journey was a huge novelty, though we did not see many animals. Frankly, it did not matter so much as this was all about the adrenalin. The cable-car was open, so you had a 360 degree view. It seemed very safe and was a smooth ride.

Once at the top, you can rent an HD 'helmet-cam' for 40 dollars for the zip-wire down. The recordings are given to you back at base and is really worth it (especially as you can swap helmets with those in the group and share the cost). It will certainly make a change to the usual videos you put on facebook.

There are 7 wires down including the 2 practice ones and a photo-stunt final wire. I can't describe the rush of the first main one - you feel you are mad to be doing it, with the end of the line seemingly hundreds and hundreds of metres away and barely visible due to the mists of the forest. But the buzz is undeniable and on some wires, you can hit 50mph.

Luckily, our group consisted of some retired guys from India who were huge fun, as well as Americans and Canadians who were also great value - we all supported each other, let's put it that way!

I guess your main concern is safety? It did seem a very well organised operation (this company seems renowned for that), and clients are double hooked. We did not set off until the last person was safely off the wire, with the guides using walkie-talkie to confirm this. The one and only issue I saw (and noted by others) was that one of the guides at one platform was not hooked up to a safety wire. It is their job to ensure client safety, so if they are not safe themselves, then that job is surely jeopardised? Having said that, i never once felt unsafe.

The last wire is is a set-up so you get photographed, but there was no hard sell for the pictures.

Top Tip: book a massage at your hotel for when you get back- not because of the zip-wire, but because of the 'road' the mini-bus takes to get you there and back....

San Diego, California, United States
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Had a blast on the whole tour.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Every part of this tour was worth the money. The ziplines are very high and exciting. The team of guides is amazing and fun. The hanging bridges are nice but Tony made them more interesting by pointing out many more cool things and even spotted a sloth taking a nap in a tree very close to the bridge. The old forest was super interesting and we met some cool friends on the tour as well. Overall I had a great trip here. I haven't seen anything even close as far as awesome zip lines so definitely come here!

Los Angeles, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Experience of a lifetime!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I did the Sky tram, hanging bridges and I did the zip line (she was terrified of heights). The guide for the handing bridges was extremely knowledgeable and appeared in no rush throughout. The zip line was amazing!! Great guides and this activity is very safe. Since I went solo with a guide on some tandem runs, I zipped sideways and backwards; others have tried the superman position, when you are strapped on your back!! 10 lines, on some you go anywhere up to 50mph or more (depends on the weather and your experience) and one is 1/2 mile long. It does get pretty cold (at least early December when we went, so bring a jacket or at least a thick sweater). Also would not wear you nicest jacket as some rust can come off the lines and your clothes will get dirty.

If you have a car, drive there independently, as we were told that they pick up from the hotel but ended up charging us $12 per person round trip for the trip