A wonderful, tropical, restful, and relaxing experience!
This was our first trip to Costa Rica & we were not quite sure what to expect. Of course, everyone knows someone who has been to the country and has stories, advice, warnings, etc. that they absolutely must share.
First recommendation: fly into San Jose & use regional airline SANSA to get you to Tambor. Upon arrival at San Jose, it seemed a little chaotic but you can wade through all the cabbies & tourists and get yourself (and your luggage) to SANSA's little terminal within walking distance & slightly southwest of the main terminal.
Second recommendation: be ready for a slightly rocky flight over to Tambor but the scenery is beautiful.
Third recommendation: don't expect too much of the Tambor airport. The SANSA employees there are willing/able to help you get transportation to your accommodations.
It was a short ride to the Tambor Tropical and the staff was extremely welcoming. English is spoken, however, you certainly will have the opportunity to brush up on your Spanish. The resort is small, private, and very quiet. They do not accommodate children under the age of 16. Even children over the age of 16 might not quite enjoy this place only because it is so peaceful, romantic, relaxed, and very low-key.
There are 16 units at the Tambor Tropical which are comfortable, spacious, and nicely appointed. Our room had a nice kitchen where, if we desired, we could make our own coffee, tea, toast, etc. Our room overlooked the pool. Everything is an extremely short distance to the outdoor dining and bar area. The beach is a short walk across the driveway & lawn and is safe, clean, and beautiful. We appreciated the fact that all of the guests there seemed to value the peacefulness and privacy. It was an incredibly relaxing and restful experience at Tambor Tropical.
Our room was attended to daily and was always spic & span upon our return. The bed was comfortable, air-conditioning was quiet & efficient. The room was nearly surrounded with windows which could all be opened to bring in the lovely tropical breezes. I will say, however, that we closed up the windows nightly due to the howler monkey noises nearby.
While the hotel is somewhat remote, there are excursions that can be arranged by the front office staff. Snorkeling, horseback riding, bird-watching, jungle walking tours, etc. We enjoyed a snorkeling excursion with Dive Academy Ballena Blanca S.A. Our guide & captain were wonderful! (More on that separately.)
Food at Tambor Tropical is delicious, fresh, and local. One could easily enjoy 3 fresh, tasty, healthy meals every day while there. The bar has cool tropical drinks & beers and friendly service. Each morning's breakfast included lovely, local, fresh, juicy fruits. Costa Rican coffee is delicious and it's easy to have more than a cup or two before you start your day.
Attire is definitely casual. Leave your formal-wear at home! Dinner attire can be casual and comfortable or simple resort-wear. No need to get fancy, overpack, or worry about ironing dressy stuff!
As mentioned, the staff at Tambor Tropical is welcoming and helpful. We, at our own doing, ran into a travel bump and the General Manager and front office staff were all extremely helpful in assisting us with travel corrections.
We would definitely return to & recommend Tambor Tropical. Whether for a honeymoon or romantic reconnection-vacation. It was thoroughly tropical, enjoyable, and wonderful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tambor Tropical is an intimate boutique hotel on the Pacific Ocean that offers guests a private and luxurious vacation in the less traveled Playa Tambor on Costa Rica's beautiful Nicoya Peninsula. Relax in the comfort of one of our 12 spacious beachfront suites, swim in our gorgeous mosaic-tiled pool, indulge in massage treatments, enjoy the cuisine of our full-service restaurant, and explore the nearby jungle via many guided adventures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tambor Tropical Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tambor Tropical Beach Hotel Playa Tambor
- Tambor Tropical Playa
- Tambor Tropical Hotel Playa