I am writing this review from the Osa Peninsula in South Costa Rica as I couldn't wait for home to tell of the experience at Tango Mar. My bride and I just got married this last Sunday at the hotel after reviewing places on the beautiful Nicoya Peninsula. I read numerous reviews about Tango Mar and we went with this location. We had parents and a few of our closest friends with us totaling 11 people for a very small, meaningful wedding.
Each of our friends and family had their own respective expectation of the resort before arrival. I can say that in unison, we were entirely blown away with what we found. Entering reception, we found Jesse, a young Costa Rican man who spoke perfect English to assist us in check in. Having been to the country many times, I know what to expect from every type of accommodation in the country. I am not a person who prefers resorts. I am the type to choose a small cabina in the jungle near surf and nightlife. Tango Mar changed my view of how incredibly dynamic a resort can be.
The resort and amenities are absolutely breathtaking. It is not a typical cheesy Sandals-esque resort that sticks out from its environment like a sore thumb. It is carefully built into the surrounding lush tropical landscape that make Costa Rica an extraordinary place. Nothing about this large property screams 'cheesy'. Though the Tango Mar is tucked away a bit from any shops in town (a few minutes outside Tambor), the hotel made it so easy to book am inexpensive shuttle to endless nearby attractions so within 15 minutes you can eat outside the resort, sight see, shop or go on adventures. The staff honestly puts every American hotel or resort staff I have experienced to shame. They are well spoken, intelligent, extremely knowledgeable regarding the area and can solve any request or dilemma you may have. I ordered a flambe desert at our wedding dinner and splattered chocolate sauce all over my white wedding shirt and nice pants. The bartender (yes that's right) took my clothing after I changed in my room. I found my outfit entirely spotless and pressed a day later on my bed. This is an example of how this place operates. The employees will not only know all of your names after the first day (yes - all 11 of us) but they will treat you like a friend and give you a handshake and put a hand on your shoulder as they talk to you. This personal affection just seems to leave you smiling everywhere you go.
The owner Hilda, a wonderful Belgian lady who instantly becomes like family, is exactly how the other reviews described her. She attended our wedding and just smiled with delight the entire time. Between her and Hannia, our wedding coordinator, we had the most stress free experience leading up to Sunday we could hope for. Every detail of the wedding was perfectly orchestrated. Hannia was brilliant. They actually gave us a free upgrade from our beachfront room to a beautiful private bungalow upon arrival and we found it adorned with flower petals all over the room on our wedding day!
The restaurant staff...wow! Between Royland, Eduardo, Javier, Gerardo, and many others, the food experience was epic! I am big on food. I enjoy foreign and comida typica (local food) alike and both were fantastic.
Overall, to make a long story short. This place blew me away! Not just me but the entire family we had with us.
As I said, we are now on the Osa Peninsula on honeymoon and as I am writing this review, I am missing Tango Mar, its staff, my new parents and our friends. Although excited about our upcoming adventures down here, the memories at Tango Mar are already setting in. That is what a vacation should be and Tango Mar proves this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. It is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 45 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service Tango Mar has a 9-hole Executive Golf Course (par 3 and par 4), two lightened tennis courts, a soccer field, four swimming pools, stables with horses, 2 restaurants and bars, meeting room, Spa, an organic garden and natural trails. It offers different types of lodgings; Beahfront rooms that mainly cater to families, Tropical Suites and Deluxe Beachfront Rooms for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, WIFI, minibar upon request and a coffee maker with complementary coffee. We also have private beachfront Villas for families or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Splendia, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor