“Unbelievable Experience!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Quizales Beach | Nicoya Peninsula, Tambor 76773, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
4X3, 1 free night!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tambor
San Clemente, California
“Unbelievable Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am writing this review from the Osa Peninsula in South Costa Rica as I couldn't wait for home to tell of the experience at Tango Mar. My bride and I just got married this last Sunday at the hotel after reviewing places on the beautiful Nicoya Peninsula. I read numerous reviews about Tango Mar and we went with this location. We had parents and a few of our closest friends with us totaling 11 people for a very small, meaningful wedding.
Each of our friends and family had their own respective expectation of the resort before arrival. I can say that in unison, we were entirely blown away with what we found. Entering reception, we found Jesse, a young Costa Rican man who spoke perfect English to assist us in check in. Having been to the country many times, I know what to expect from every type of accommodation in the country. I am not a person who prefers resorts. I am the type to choose a small cabina in the jungle near surf and nightlife. Tango Mar changed my view of how incredibly dynamic a resort can be.
The resort and amenities are absolutely breathtaking. It is not a typical cheesy Sandals-esque resort that sticks out from its environment like a sore thumb. It is carefully built into the surrounding lush tropical landscape that make Costa Rica an extraordinary place. Nothing about this large property screams 'cheesy'. Though the Tango Mar is tucked away a bit from any shops in town (a few minutes outside Tambor), the hotel made it so easy to book am inexpensive shuttle to endless nearby attractions so within 15 minutes you can eat outside the resort, sight see, shop or go on adventures. The staff honestly puts every American hotel or resort staff I have experienced to shame. They are well spoken, intelligent, extremely knowledgeable regarding the area and can solve any request or dilemma you may have. I ordered a flambe desert at our wedding dinner and splattered chocolate sauce all over my white wedding shirt and nice pants. The bartender (yes that's right) took my clothing after I changed in my room. I found my outfit entirely spotless and pressed a day later on my bed. This is an example of how this place operates. The employees will not only know all of your names after the first day (yes - all 11 of us) but they will treat you like a friend and give you a handshake and put a hand on your shoulder as they talk to you. This personal affection just seems to leave you smiling everywhere you go.
The owner Hilda, a wonderful Belgian lady who instantly becomes like family, is exactly how the other reviews described her. She attended our wedding and just smiled with delight the entire time. Between her and Hannia, our wedding coordinator, we had the most stress free experience leading up to Sunday we could hope for. Every detail of the wedding was perfectly orchestrated. Hannia was brilliant. They actually gave us a free upgrade from our beachfront room to a beautiful private bungalow upon arrival and we found it adorned with flower petals all over the room on our wedding day!
The restaurant staff...wow! Between Royland, Eduardo, Javier, Gerardo, and many others, the food experience was epic! I am big on food. I enjoy foreign and comida typica (local food) alike and both were fantastic.
Overall, to make a long story short. This place blew me away! Not just me but the entire family we had with us.
As I said, we are now on the Osa Peninsula on honeymoon and as I am writing this review, I am missing Tango Mar, its staff, my new parents and our friends. Although excited about our upcoming adventures down here, the memories at Tango Mar are already setting in. That is what a vacation should be and Tango Mar proves this.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Tango Mar Beach, Spa and Golf Resort is absolutely amazing. Words cannot express the breath taking views and ambience I experienced. The waves crashing on the beach afforded me the ability to have some of the best sleep I have had. The Staff at Tango Mar are ultimate professionals. I also had the opportunity to meet the owner who is best described as "salt of the earth". I recommend this resort to everyone and especially first time visitors to the country. The food and drinks were exceptional and I look forward to visiting often. The spa services were equally a pleasant experience. Xavier, Javier, Rosie, Royland and many more went above and beyond to accommodate me and make me feel at home. I almost forgot, a couple were married and the ceremony took place (on the pristine beach) at sundown, in view from my bungalow. What a way to start off my retirement!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this wonderful place last month and we had a great time. The service is excellent and the owner of the hotel really makes you feel like you are at home.i saw her spending time talking with all the guests. She is definitely one of the friendliest hotel owners I have met. I was celebrating my partner's birthday and she accommodated a private table right in front of the beach for our celebration and also surprised us with a personalized birthday cake for him. Those little details are what make a big difference and for us it is a place that we will always remember for the next time we go to Cost Rica. .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The resort is the nicest we stayed in during our trip to Costa Rica. The owner asked how our day was every evening, very hands on. A little remote and too quiet for our 20 something boys, but perfect for our age group. The horseback riding on well mannered, healthy horses was the highlight of our stay. Galloping on the beach was memorable! Just realize that the waves are big and swimming is dangerous, but they have three beautiful connecting pools to chose from to enjoy while watching the surf. Great experience....Pura Vida!

Room Tip: The surf was very loud which was desirable for most people, but because we live in a beach community...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We loved this spot. Yes it is very secluded and far from most places, but that is what we were looking for. The pool area and hammock spot was beautiful (and often very quiet - we had hours by ourselves). The staff was extremely nice and we thought the food was great (although a bit expensive) It was the perfect spot if you want 2-3 days of r&r at a non-commercialized location. There are also a couple of national parks nearby for some short day trips. We would go back in a heartbeat

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

we spent 6 days here at the end of a tour of Costa Rica. I was concerned that it was too isolated which turned out to be the case, however, it was a wonderful experience. We had land crabs coming out at night, snakes (harmless) by pool, although I did not think so at the time. Food a really gourmet experience. For me the whole area was fairly isolated, we did do a trip to see monkeys and saw makaws, but would not recommend for a holiday on its own. You need to do a tour of Costa Rica to appreciate the difference of the various regions;s. Nice place to end the tour if you want some relaxation.

Room Tip: We had a room in the main building, very spacious and everything you would want.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ukraina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were at this hotel in May. 7 days that we spent there bylinastoyaschim miracle. The entire staff at a big happy family and we ourselves have become members of this family. In the restaurant each evening hostess at approaches to each table and asked how was your day, whether it needs help and wants a good evening and stay .. The food in the restaurant is great. Service is good. When I said that I love to eat soup for lunch, and the restaurant on the beach it is not on the menu every day I prepared the soup.
We were in the low season, so the ocean had big waves, but even that did not stop us enjoy our stay.
There is much to write about this hotel, but better once myself go and get myself into this paradise on earth. Thank you Tango Mar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!