My wife and I recently stayed 5 nights at Tango Mar for our honeymoon. We had a great time, would highly recommend it, and hope to return soon.
The Resort Itself
The resort itself is beautiful and all of the facilities are high-quality. The pools are a nice size and very clean. There are two restaurants: one that serves breakfast and supper and one that serves lunch. Each restaurant has a bar, and there is a third swim-up bar at one of the pools. We stayed in a tiki suite, which was very nice and exactly as advertised. There was plenty of hot water and the air-conditioning worked well. We did experience a small lizard in our room a couple of times, but they didn't bother us and that is to be expected when you are living next to the jungle. We stayed during the "green season," which means it rained just about every evening. This also meant that there were very few people at the resort and, at times, it felt like we had it to ourselves. Perhaps what I liked best about the resort is that it offers luxury accommodations yet you feel like you are right in the middle of nature. The resort is positioned directly between a beautiful beach and a gorgeous wildlife-filled jungle. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing resort with great amenities for a good value we would highly recommend this place.
The food at the resort is very good. Some I would even characterize as gourmet. The prices are also reasonable, especially when one considers that the prices include 25% tax. I believe the prices are comparable (and maybe even less) than one would pay for the same meal in a U.S. city. For example, a fillet of sea-bass dinner was $20. They have a nice variety of cocktails to choose from. The cocktails are not made very strong, so be prepared to order several if you are looking to feel the effects.
Service was great. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful, without being overbearing. Every staff-person we interacted with either spoke very good English, or enough English that we could accomplish whatever we were trying to accomplish without hassle or confusion.
The resort is quite large and there is a lot to do on the resort grounds. As previously mentioned, there are several swimming pools. There is also the ocean, though the currents are very strong (especially in the afternoon). The resort has some nice short hiking trails that lead to some amazing vistas. There are also several activities that are outlined on the website. We did the "super tour" which involved a boat tour of the local mangroves, hiking in a nature preserve, snorkeling, and a picnic on Tortuga Island. The super tour was amazing and we felt that it was a great value. It is especially useful for someone who wants a little taste of everything CR has to offer but does not want to spend an entire day hiking, etc. There is not much within walking distance of the resort, so you will have to arrange transportation to go anywhere outside the resort (e.g. some of the nearby towns). If you book through the resort it is about $30 per trip. The staff are knowledgeable and can provide more information about the attractions at the various surrounding towns. While the remote location may be inconvenient for those looking to spend evenings at the resort while spending days exploring the surrounding area, in my opinion this is a worthwhile trade-off for the seclusion and peace one can experience while at the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. It is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 45 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service Tango Mar has a 9-hole Executive Golf Course (par 3 and par 4), two lightened tennis courts, a soccer field, four swimming pools, stables with horses, 2 restaurants and bars, meeting room, Spa, an organic garden and natural trails. It offers different types of lodgings; Beahfront rooms that mainly cater to families, Tropical Suites and Deluxe Beachfront Rooms for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, WIFI, minibar upon request and a coffee maker with complementary coffee. We also have private beachfront Villas for families or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Odigeo and Travelocity so you can book your Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor