“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Quizales Beach | Nicoya Peninsula, Tambor 76773, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
4X3, 1 free night!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tambor
Lincoln
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 5 nights at Tango Mar for our honeymoon. We had a great time, would highly recommend it, and hope to return soon.

The Resort Itself
The resort itself is beautiful and all of the facilities are high-quality. The pools are a nice size and very clean. There are two restaurants: one that serves breakfast and supper and one that serves lunch. Each restaurant has a bar, and there is a third swim-up bar at one of the pools. We stayed in a tiki suite, which was very nice and exactly as advertised. There was plenty of hot water and the air-conditioning worked well. We did experience a small lizard in our room a couple of times, but they didn't bother us and that is to be expected when you are living next to the jungle. We stayed during the "green season," which means it rained just about every evening. This also meant that there were very few people at the resort and, at times, it felt like we had it to ourselves. Perhaps what I liked best about the resort is that it offers luxury accommodations yet you feel like you are right in the middle of nature. The resort is positioned directly between a beautiful beach and a gorgeous wildlife-filled jungle. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing resort with great amenities for a good value we would highly recommend this place.

The food at the resort is very good. Some I would even characterize as gourmet. The prices are also reasonable, especially when one considers that the prices include 25% tax. I believe the prices are comparable (and maybe even less) than one would pay for the same meal in a U.S. city. For example, a fillet of sea-bass dinner was $20. They have a nice variety of cocktails to choose from. The cocktails are not made very strong, so be prepared to order several if you are looking to feel the effects.

Service was great. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful, without being overbearing. Every staff-person we interacted with either spoke very good English, or enough English that we could accomplish whatever we were trying to accomplish without hassle or confusion.

Activities
The resort is quite large and there is a lot to do on the resort grounds. As previously mentioned, there are several swimming pools. There is also the ocean, though the currents are very strong (especially in the afternoon). The resort has some nice short hiking trails that lead to some amazing vistas. There are also several activities that are outlined on the website. We did the "super tour" which involved a boat tour of the local mangroves, hiking in a nature preserve, snorkeling, and a picnic on Tortuga Island. The super tour was amazing and we felt that it was a great value. It is especially useful for someone who wants a little taste of everything CR has to offer but does not want to spend an entire day hiking, etc. There is not much within walking distance of the resort, so you will have to arrange transportation to go anywhere outside the resort (e.g. some of the nearby towns). If you book through the resort it is about $30 per trip. The staff are knowledgeable and can provide more information about the attractions at the various surrounding towns. While the remote location may be inconvenient for those looking to spend evenings at the resort while spending days exploring the surrounding area, in my opinion this is a worthwhile trade-off for the seclusion and peace one can experience while at the resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Tango Mar is our definition of paradise. A lovely, secluded location, with all the luxury of a major resort. The owner is extremely involved in day to day operations and always makes an effort to greet and visit with each guest.
We stayed in a Tiki Hut and absolutely loved the sound of the waves crashing putting us to sleep each night. The Tiki Huts are delightfully furnished and offer beautiful views from the wrap around windows, but you won't spend much time in the room.
We rented a car ( I highly recommend this). While we loved the isolated location, it would have been a major miss not to have the car to see the rest of the peninsula. We were able to catch a surf competition in Santa Teresa, try some local beer in Mal Pais, go zip lining in Montezuma and eat some great food.
The food at Tango Mar is excellent! I was very pleasantly surprised by the variety of options and quality of the food on the menu.
The main pool was the only one we used and we loved it! The swim up bar was well staffed. Beautiful view from this infinity pool.
The beach was large and lovely, but extremely rough. Not a good place to swim. We did go in a few times but it was more of an adventure than other beaches I've been to.
All in all one of our best beach experiences. We will return to Tango Mar & enthusiastically recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at Tango Mar. And I wish I would have booked one or two nights more to round up my Costa Rica tour. The owner, a Flemish lady, is very involved in the running of the place. The staff was very friendly and professional, and the food was better than most places I visited in Costa Rica. The atmosphere is very relaxing,the beach is lovely and there are plenty of good excursions to choose from. Getting to Tango Mar (the Montezuma area) is not easy when you come from the city of Liberia (there is about 20km of unpaved rough road you have to cross), but that is typical for Costa Rica. Coming from San Jose you need the ferry, but you don't have the unpaved road section to worry about. You can also fly straight in (airstrip about 15 minutes from the resort). Yes, swimming in the Ocean is not encouraged...it's the pacific, currents are strong, that has nothing to do with the resort itself...swimming in the ocean is always at your own risk. The pools are nice, the bar is great. It's just a beautiful, relaxing beach stop. You don't feel like you're in a factory type huge resort (about 50 rooms). Very nice stay!
Gilles Hageman, Belgium

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

First of all I wanted to start by saying I expected so much more of Tango Mar especially for the price we had paid to stay at this location(tiki suite) and don't get me wrong the room was very honey moonish but it was the service, the location and the
Overall experience that's getting this bad review. When we got to Costa Rica we had paid a package to go from San Jose airport to Tango Mar which was supposedly going to be nice sight seen and a nice boat ride to the peninsula were the resort was located. That was totally wrong. First the driver picked us up and said it will be $10 dollars to make it sooner or you won't catch your boat ride!ok I was like fine $10 I don't want to miss it. Once we got to the boat it was not private over 200 people and felt very unsafe. Than 2 hours later we got to Tango Mar. The scenery was very nice the beach looked gorgeous. When we got there we were promised nice mixed drink all we got were fruit juice! But
Hey we were thirsty after a 3 hours to get there from airport. We then walked to our tiki suite and relaxed. To make this review not so long I will jump to service. When you have dinner it takes the waiter to bring your food over 20 minutes and guess what we were only ones In restaurant at the time. They do not serve mimosas for breakfast but they told us that. They don't bring drinks to you room even though when we booked this resort they told us. We also witnessed employee from there making out in the pool with guest from the hotel after the pool was closed! Very professional! My wife and I were happy we were gone next morning.
I do want to thank Tango Mar the waiter In the morning that's pregnant very nice and also the lady In the front desk was nice. Thank you Tango Mar we will never return to Costa Rica

• Stayed May 2013
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My hubby and I stayed here for 4 nights for our 13th wedding anniversary. Beautiful and very well-kept resort. All the areas we were exposed to (including our lovely beachfront room) were extremely clean and tastefully decorated. Beautiful, tropical grounds with gorgeous foliage. Wildlife also abounds at this place. If you are lucky enough to go during mango season then you will have your fill with all the bountiful mango trees that line the golf course. Do take the trek to the waterfall - well worth it! The trail teems with wildlife! Do go to the lookout point (mirador) - you will enjoy the trek across the hanging bridge! The food here is delightfully tasty and well presented! We looked forward to the house appetizer every night. As nature lovers, we also found plenty to do each day walking around the property and enjoying the plant life and also tracking down various birds and howler monkeys.

I gave this resort four stars for 2 reasons. 1) Although the beach is beautiful and the sound of the loud, crashing waves lulls you to sleep at night, swimming is not encouraged (warning signs are posted) because the ocean is very rough. 2) I am not sure if this is customary in Costa Rica or not, but you have to discard your toilet paper in the waste basket as you are not allowed to flush it. This certainly grossed us out a bit.

Overall, great place and we would stay here again. Really pleasant, relaxed and away from it all. We went during the green season and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. Owner is very involved and hands-on. We got the impression that she truly cares for the staff there too and everyone seemed to be a family! Love, love, love Costa Rica and Hotel Tango Mar!!:).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was pleasantly pleased with the Tango Mar Hotel. I was visiting this property at the request of an associate for business purposes and I was pleasantly pleased with it. The owner is active in the hotel operation and very passionate about her hotel. There are different room categories to choose from depending on your budget. I was in a standard ocean view room. The rooms are very large and roomy. The room amenities are simple but for the location you don't need a fancy room. It is about the location and what it offers. On the property itself there is a horseback riding, pools, small gym, 9 hole golf course, spa and Yoga Studio. The staff was very helpful and well trained and the food quality was good. Each day you can do nature walks, sign on for tours or take advantage of the vast grounds to walk and explore. Getting there is not easy- plan for either a pre-post night in San Jose - do the ferry one way and the domestic flight the other. I do suggest at least 3 nights minimum.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at Tango Mar for 3 nights and it was an excellent vacation. The staff are very attentive and the location, being right on the beach, is unbeatable. While I was there, I was a little careless in the ocean and a wave/ocean floor incident caused my shoulder to be dislocated. The staff called for a doctor right away and they were at the hotel within 30 minutes putting my parts back in place. Afterward, the staff was very concerned with how I was feeling and the owner came by to ask as well.

The rest of the time was spent poolside and relaxing as much as possible, which was obviously much needed. My recommendation is to stay out of the ocean, go horseback riding, sit by the pool, and enjoy the solitude.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!