My husband and I spent two weeks in costa rica, one of which was at the tango mar. We rented a car (HIGHLY recommend) and drove down from Liberia. The road only had one bad section. You can also fly into Tambor and rent a 4x4 (only) from budget there.
When we arrived we were shown our room by one of the front desk staff. He was an interesting guy, maybe nervous but it seemed as though we were always inconveniencing him when we asked about things, he never smiled...Anyway.
We stayed in a tiki hut for the week and the room was great, clean and well maintained. We loved our little deck and view of the ocean. Although we heard that the other rooms maybe not so good or a bit outdated? But you dont need to be in your room here... You get the standard mini bar with a few beers, chips and water. The grounds are beautiful and you are surrounded by jungle, lizards, monkeys and beautiful beach. Room was great and bed was clean and comfy.
Internet worked in the rooms and the lobby- not by the pool, which was fine.
Ocean: Frequently you can not swim in as the waves are pretty big. We love the water and wanted to surf- you have to travel to Santa Teresa for this (45min drive).
Golf: This is where we come to the problem. They advertise this as a GOLF and SPA. It is NOT. We have stayed in golf resorts all over the world. The course was unplayable. The one hole that looks decent is the only one you see when you drive in, we werent expecting much, but we did expect that we could play. They put a few sprinklers up on the greens, but they arnt doing anything, there is moss growing on the greens...
The pictures you see on file are from 15 years ago, when it was owned by someone else and maintained- the previous owners now run the golf course north about 20km- if you really want to golf- which we did, go there. We couldnt even tell where the "fairways" or farmers fields were. We asked for our money back- and got it. Bottom line they cannot say this is a golf resort- it should be turned into a miniputt or driving range maybe. We were kinda pissed, cause this is why we stayed here.
SPA- haha this "spa" consists of two massage beds- like ones you find on the beach and they have to call in people to provide services, nails, hair etc. The girl they called into do my $50 mani and pedi- well it was her first time, I had to redo it the next day. It was terrible. The owner walked in half way to ask how she was doing, well I am canadian and I dont like to hurt peoples feelings, and at this point it was ok (she had just done one foot)...so I said its fine. She should have asked me AFTER not infront of the poor girl.
EVERYTHING HAS A COST. We wanted to do yoga everyday- as it is advertised. Well they have to call the instructor and if you are the only people its like $30-45. haha we did our own yoga. Stay in Santa Teresa if you want to do Yoga!
GYM: there are three cardio machines. All she needs to do is put a bench, a few yoga matts, set of weights and a ball in here. Then you at least have some what of a "gym". We were in it everyday.
POOL: nice pools, there are actually three. Its the only place to hangout during the day if you stay there. It had some weird chemical that turned all our white bathing suites yellow, just fyi.
The chair set up is a little weird but you can always go lay on the beach if you want a beach view. We often took our own beer in cooler cause it often took 10min to get a $6 Corona. You can get them for $2 in the store.
KIDS: This is not a great place for kids. There is little to do for them- the Ocean can be rough and dangerous at times, there is no kids activities for free. Not even a little water slide or play toys. Bring your own! You can plan activities zip lining etc, but they are expensive and you have to travel to get there. Except the horse back riding and the hike to the waterfall..
We went horse back riding which was fun, but the guide didnt tell us much, we had to ask about everything..he pointed out a few monkeys. You get to see the property and the horses are very tame.
This was the best part. My husband (who loves to eat) loved the food. I thought it was good, but all started tasting the same by the end. They have a decent selection and fresh ingredients. However, we learned that this meun never changes. It has been the same for years! So if your planning to return, you going to get the same food you had last time. Breakfast was a good buffet, no problems there:)
THE STAFF: The other best part! The staff and waiters work all day and they are very pleasant to be around. Especially the bartenders. You may even get a salsa dance with the evening bartender! They became our friends and made it fun there.
OVERALL>> this resort is great for a few days to relax, not do much and eat good food. The grounds and view are lovely. This is great spot for a anniversary or a romantic get away but stay 4 days max, we were ready to leave.
This place is Miss-advertising, its not a spa or golf resort- we have been to those. The owner needs to stop advertising this, the resort itself is nice, some improvements needed but overall a really great spot. Really she should make it an all-inclusive cause if you dont have a car you are stuck there and it can get pricy if you want to have a few drinks and eat. Let alone do some activities.
*You are pretty isolated here which for a few days is great!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. It is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 45 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service Tango Mar has a 9-hole Executive Golf Course (par 3 and par 4), two lightened tennis courts, a soccer field, four swimming pools, stables with horses, 2 restaurants and bars, meeting room, Spa, an organic garden and natural trails. It offers different types of lodgings; Beahfront rooms that mainly cater to families, Tropical Suites and Deluxe Beachfront Rooms for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, WIFI, minibar upon request and a coffee maker with complementary coffee. We also have private beachfront Villas for families or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Splendia, Odigeo and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor