“Perfect get away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Quizales Beach | Nicoya Peninsula, Tambor 76773, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
4X3, 1 free night!
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Tambor
“Perfect get away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

The family loved the Villa 18 with the 2 hammocks. Each morning I walked out to the beach before breakfast and enjoyed the solitude. Then ate my freshly cooked eggs. The excursions they booked were fun and well run. The maid service cleaned the whole space spotlessly and even did the dishes! Truly a vacation for a working mom. The transportation from the San Jose airport met us on time, purchased the ferry tickets and a van met us on the other side. The pools were never crowded and the restaurant made a pasta grande con butter for my son the one night he did not eat steak or lobster. My teenaged daughter and her friend felt comfortable walking around the resort on their own and I felt comfortable letting them. The WiFi worked best in the main restaurant so my husband and I did our emailing there at breakfast or at the main bar in the evening. Email is easier with a blue drink in hand. ;) can't wait to go back. For now I just look at my sunny pictures of sand and palm tree over and over.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We are two couples enjoying a holiday away from the unseasonal winter conditions in the UK and ready for some indulgence leaving 20 something aged offspring to manage their own lives for 2 weeks!
Tango Mar looks lovely on the pictures and website. Situated in a bay at the end of a dirt track it is an oasis of calm. Literally right on an empty sandy beach with the waves rolling in - almost exclusive to hotel guests, palm trees, hammocks, a lovely pool, friendly staff, owner Hilda who makes it her business to check up and chat to her guests......what's not to like?
The reception area is a huge open area with settees, art on the walls and a bookcase. It leads to a bar and into the dining areas - one for breakfast and evening meals mostly on the terrace. The barn like roof fascinates us because of its workmanship so look up.
Breakfast is the typical Costa Rica fayre. The evening meals are very tasty and well presented with a preference for rich creamy sauces. The bar by the pool has its own chef and cooking area where lunch is served. Food looks good again although we are so full from breakfast we haven't managed a lunch yet.
Accommodation: we are in two rooms that are part of the Royal Suite - basically a villa with 5 bedrooms including ours. Our rooms are separate and on the ground level. They have glass sliding glass doors with the beach literally 20 ft from our beds! There is a staircase between our rooms to access the rest of the villa with the patio above us. All very clean and comfortable. A few rogue ants but hardly any.
So .... so far so very good!

Room Tip: Have a good look round all the options so you can decide how near the pool and/or restaurant you wan...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Tango Mar was fantastic. It was very remote, and very relaxing. The staff was friendly, and very helpful. The staff spoke fantastic english, which was very helpful for a family with limited spanish speaking ability. Take the hike to the waterfall that falls into the ocean. It is not huge, but it is peaceful. Take some water to drink, as it can get quite warm on the short hike.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at Tango Mar while on a tour. If we could have we would have stayed there for the entire trip. The entire staff from the Owner to the service staff were fantastic. We were treated like royalty and we were made to feel as a part of the Tango Mar family. No words can describe the views and the location. The sounds of the waves outside our room would put us to sleep with smiles on our faces. The restaurant service and the food at Tango Mar is second to none! The Sea Bass would melt in your mouth.
Thanks you for providing us the time of our life and a memory that will stay with us forever.

Room Tip: Beach rooms will provide the most relaxing sleep with the sounds of the waves.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I traveled to Costa Rica with a friend, through a TravelZoo deal.

Pros:
-The resort really is gorgeous. Several infinity pools overlooking the ocean, the main one with a swim-up bar. We had a "tropical suite" which was super nice, had french doors facing the ocean, four poster bed, etc.
-Grounds are pretty cool. While there are tons of hills (was a hike to get back up to our room from the restaurants), there are also many worthwhile features. The golf course looked crappy, but there is a hike to a waterfall, some jungle where we saw howler monkeys, and my favorite, the look out point. AMAZING views!!!
-Very, very nice staff. One of the bartenders (Junior) even offered to take us on the hike to the waterfalls on his morning off. The front desk was great too which excellent recommendations.

Cons:
-The area is a little dead. This may not be a problem for many: the vast majority of the guests seemed to be couples just wanting to relax (and there were a few families). So this is perfect for that kind of trip as the resort is very secluded. I was traveling with a friend of mine, and we are in our mid 20s and very active. So we ended up doing a lot of driving to nearby towns as we have a hard time just sitting on the beach day after day (although it's fun now and then, especially with that pool!!). Montezuma is 30 minutes away, and Santa Teresa/Playa Carmen (which I highly recommend) are about 45.
- Ants. Everywhere. In our room and getting into our food.
- No restaurants close by, so we had to eat at the hotel a lot. Not many options, the food wasn't all that great, and it was quite overpriced. On the other hand, they do have great margheritas.

Room Tip: I loved the tropical suite- felt like it was in its own little world with spectacular views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Rouillac, Bretagne, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Rose and I got married in October last year , a late marriage as we are both 40 + !! Due to family commitments, we delayed our honeymoon until February, and chose Costa Rica. We travelled around and stayed in some good places and some not so good , but we decided to save Tango Mar until the end, so as to be the highlight of our trip, and we were not disappointed !!
The welcome was warm and felt genuine, We were shown to our villa which was absolutely perfect. It was clean, tidy and comfortable. It was kept that way by very discreet maid service during our stay. We did have lots of ants , but hey , they didn't bother us !! Once un packed and settled, we went for a look round. The thing that impressed me greatly was that even though the resort was busy, it never felt like it ! The beach is beautiful and never felt crowded. We were on that beach each day for sunrise, sunset and a couple of times in between to play in the surf.We also enjoyed our time in the main pool, which although not very big, again, never felt crowded. Cocktails were served in the pool bar by Junior, who seemed to take it upon himself as his personal mission to make sure we had the best possible stay, many thanks to you , Junior (-:
Lunch was in the poolside bar, and every day was just pefect, good food served by very caring staff. We enjoyed the resort so much that we did no trips or activities as we both have very demanding and stressful jobs at home in France , so we just enjoyed relaxing, and this was the place to do it !
Dinner in the main restaurant was also of a very good standard and very reasonably priced. I have to put in a critical point here, otherwise people will think I'm being paid to write !The wine was mediocre and overpriced ! But hey, we are from France !
We slept well after a few "digestif's", and then enjoyed a walk up the beach to take in the amazing sunrise , before breakfast. I really found myself looking forward to meals here, I did enjoy everything. I don't normally eat alot for breakfast, but loved the fresh fruit and the made to order omelettes were very good.
One tip from us would be to fly. We took the long trek , ferry and taxi to get there, but when we left, we flew from Tambor to San Jose, the flight was great, in a little Cesna and the price was very reasonable.
I think the location is excellent and the staff are the most dedicated team I have seen in this environment, and they are a credit to Tango Mar and themselves. I am sorry, I am not good at remembering names, so just a big thank you to you all.
I cannot imagine anyone not having a wonderful time here, we did!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a fabulous place, both the facilities and the staff were beyond compare. Firstly the location was spectacular, quiet and had a beautiful beach that is worthy of putting in magazine let alone a travel brochure. The room, pools and restaurant were fabulous. Best of all the waitstaff was welcoming and more than attentive. In particular I must mention Eduardo, he not only made us feel welcome, he made us feel like family. He elevated a really wonderful stay to probably the best vacation experience I ever had. The horseback riding was also spectacular and showed us how close a large number of exotic wildlife lived in proximity to the Resort. I can't say enough positive about our stay and I will be sure to return soon. Thanks Tango Mar, you guys really know how to treat people right!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!