My family of 4 spent 4 nights over Christmas at the Tango Mar. I had already booked my flight into San Jose so we rented a car and drove to Puntarenas and boarded the car ferry across the Gulf of Nicoya to Paquera with the locals, then drove 45 minutes on the most pothole ridden road past Tambor to the Tango Mar. Flying into Liberia might be the way to go. We were exhausted after our journey, but relaxed almost immediately once we turned onto the road into the property. It is a beautifully landscaped and well maintained bit of paradise. We immediately all agreed to just stay put for the next 4 days. We were greeted so graciously by the front desk staff (Javier and Hilde the owner), left our car parked out front, and joined the other guests for a Christmas Day supper in the beautiful oceanfront open air restaurant. Our room was spacious and well appointed with good a/c and had a lovely balcony looking out on the charming palm fringed beach. We particularly enjoyed the multitude of hammocks strung between all the palms. We lay in the shade for hours reading our books, listening to the surf, and looking at the ocean. We enjoyed the oceanside pool with the swim up bar. (I wish the bartender could have taken a break from the incessant Latin music that blared a little too loudly for my taste). We enjoyed lunch at the poolside restaurant; the fresh fish and the roasted chicken with guacamole, pico de gallo, and tortillas were particularly yummy. The ocean was challenging; I had to carefully pick which waves to boogie board or else I would get slammed. My daughter and I were more successful bobbing over the waves without any boards. The beach was a lovely sandy beach with rock outcroppings at either end, making for a lovely walk. We were so lazy we never made it to the waterfall or the lookout viewpoint at either end of the beach! The breakfast was included and was a revelation of fresh tropical fruit, local cuisine like rice and beans, cassava croquettes, and fried plantains, and made to order omelets and Belgian waffles (Hilde the owner is Belgian). Dinner was ordinary except for the exceptional Caesar salad that was made at your table. (I ordered one every night and added grilled shrimp on the last night and made it my meal). But we did not come to eat; we came to relax and get away from it all in balmy weather on a perfect beach. Hilde has a great local staff and a beautiful property. If you don't need a late night scene to have a good vacation, you will be happy here. Tango Mar was a wonderful way to decompress from work and school before we headed off on an adventure travel cruise down the Pacific coast of Costa Rica through the Panama Canal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. It is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 45 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service Tango Mar has a 9-hole Executive Golf Course (par 3 and par 4), two lightened tennis courts, a soccer field, four swimming pools, stables with horses, 2 restaurants and bars, meeting room, Spa, an organic garden and natural trails. It offers different types of lodgings; Beahfront rooms that mainly cater to families, Tropical Suites and Deluxe Beachfront Rooms for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, WIFI, minibar upon request and a coffee maker with complementary coffee. We also have private beachfront Villas for families or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Splendia, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor