My wife and I spent 5 nights at Tango Mar over Christmas. The grounds are beautiful and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We had a beach front room which is a pretty standard hotel room, but with an amazing view. It’s a little overpriced during high-season, but most nice places in Costa Rica are that way. The location is pretty well secluded and unlike other beach resorts in places like Cancun where you’re surrounded by a million other tourists. The pool is small, but nice and comes with a great view of the ocean. The water is pretty rough here, so most people stuck to the pool. Other than a day trip to Mal Pais and Santa Teresa, we spent each day lounging by the pool, on the beach, and at the bar. It was extremely relaxing and definitely what we were looking for.
While the food is better than the average beach resort, it definitely isn’t great. We had the lobster and a filet mignon on Christmas eve and couldn’t have been more disappointed. For $25, we got a little bit of tail meat cooked and placed into a lobster shell and no claws. It was an odd presentation and we learned from then on to keep it simple here. Stick to the cheaper basic stuff and you’ll be fine. The breakfast was complementary and was pretty good. It included lots of fresh fruit and typical Costa Rican food as well as an omelet station.
The owner, Hilde, is very friendly and is always around chatting up the guests and making sure everyone is having a good time. A lot of the beach resort style hotels have a corporate feel so this is a nice touch. A lot of the staff is there all day everyday and they are very friendly. The two bartenders, Junior and Javier, are fantastic. They make great drinks and are a lot of fun.
We were feeling adventurous on our way to Tango Mar so we decided to skip the ferry and drive around the Gulf of Nicoya. The trip overall wasn’t too bad, but there is a long stretch (about 30km) between Playa Naranja and Paquera that is an unpaved mess of rocky dirt roads that twist through the mountains. Without a GPS, we would’ve gotten lost for sure. The drive is fun, but be prepared for the dirt roads and definitely use a GPS! On the way out we took the ferry which was really easy and actually pretty cheap ($25 for two passengers and the car).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa and Golf Resort is the perfect place for a wedding, honeymoon, quiet relaxation, or if you prefer, adventure tours. Families are welcome. Tours are offered to National Parks, horseback riding on the beach, Tortuga Island snorkeling tours, canopy rides - everything to make your vacation in a tropical paradise a memorable event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor