My husband & I spent 4 nights at Tango Mar in November and I would highly recommend it! Tango Mar is pretty remote, so it was a bit of a trek to get there and there aren't a ton of activities, but it was soooo relaxing. We did visit the Curu Wildlife Refuge (see more info. below) and went snorkeling while we were there. The best thing about Tango Mar is the staff -- especially Eduardo, Andres & Junior. They took great care of us and were just fun people to be around. They learned our names the first day we were there (and vice versa) and always greeted us, whether they were working at breakfast, the pool bar or dinner.
There are lots of reviews on here that cover basic information about the hotel, but here are some things I wish I would have known in advance:
1.) Tango Mar is very remote, although there are some different options to get there (including a small airstrip nearby). We opted to drive to Puntarenas and then take the fairy to Paquera. We then drove from Paquera to Tango Mar (about 45 mins). The roads were terrible, but manageable, even at night. Just be prepared for lots of huge pot holes, as well as people and animals in the road. :) Also, be sure to take cash for the ferry, as we didn't and about missed the last ferry of the day (the nearest ATM is about a 10 min. drive)! The ferry only takes US$ up to $20, so be sure to have small bills or use colons. You can find the ferry schedule at http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/general/boat.php.
2.) The room rate includes a buffet breakfast at the hotel (at least ours did). This was really nice, as the hotel is very remote, so there aren't other options nearby.
3.) We had dinner at the hotel a couple of nights (only one of the restaurants was open during our visit). The food was good, although pretty expensive (about $15-25 for entrees). However, if you don't have a car, it's about your only option.
4.) They don't offer room service, although there is a mini bar with drinks and snacks.
5.) We drove to Montezuma for dinner one night. It was further than we thought (maybe 30-45 mins) and included about 5 miles on a gravel road. However, it was fun to visit and get outside of the hotel for the evening. If you go, stop by Chico's bar after dinner. The people watching was fun and included a mix of ex-pats and locals.
6.) The "exercise room" was all but non-existent. There was a treadmill and bike, but there weren't any weights. It wasn't a big deal, just not what I was expecting. I also never found the yoga, mentioned on the website.
7.) If you'd like to save a little money, I would recommend looking for tours outside of what's offered through the hotel (especially if you have your own car). We booked a guided hike and snorkeling trip to Tortuga Island through Curu (http://www.curutourism.com/en/packages) for about half the price as the tour offered through Tango Mar. We did have to provide our own transportation to Curu (about a 30 min. drive).
8.) We stayed at Tango Mar is November, which is the end of rainy season. It was prefect weather everyday, with temps in the low-mid 80s and perfectly blue skies. There was nothing rainy about it and the rates were still low and it wasn't crowded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa and Golf Resort is the perfect place for a wedding, honeymoon, quiet relaxation, or if you prefer, adventure tours. Families are welcome. Tours are offered to National Parks, horseback riding on the beach, Tortuga Island snorkeling tours, canopy rides - everything to make your vacation in a tropical paradise a memorable event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor