“dream resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tambor
montreal
“dream resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

From the warm greeting by staff with a fresh cool face towel coupled with a complimentary fruit drink when you check in to the sustained quaility service throughout our stay and the excellent food breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great room with a view right over the beach, clean, fully functioning air conditioner, very clean bathroom , personable staff, private 1km beach however the waves can be large and there is a back tow, refreshing swimming pool to cool off. This is a first class hotel and the owner is always present be it breakfast or dinner where she visits each table to ensure quality service is beeing delivered. We had an excellent stay over 3 nights. Conveniently located 20 minutes from Montezuma or 30 minutes from other beach locations on the coast. highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floor provide the better view , the bungalows are further away from the beach
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
klucke, Director of Sales at Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your nice comments and for sharing your experience to other travellers! We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay in Tango Mar. We hope to see you again in the near future. Best Regards from paradise, Karla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

As this was our second hotel visit in CR.2nd visit in CR since 2010
I have to say... TANGO MAR was the best hotel for beach views and THE BEST service!
Off the Path but so worth it!!
The view from our 3rd floor room was amazing!
Tango Mar.... Keep up the good work!
You made my stay a memory!

Room Tip: Beach front roons Hear the ocean to a wake up call!
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We had been recommended this hotel by friends of ours who visited last year. They had told us about the lovely owner who personally greeted all the guests – not unlike a lot of the reviews. We booked with the expectation of a personal hotel and not a resort which we dislike. So we had booked this hotel with a completely different expectation of the hotel than what we experienced on our stay in the first week of March 12.

The road to this hotel is an experience in its self. My partner who fancies himself as a rally driver really enjoyed himself but even he got a bit tired after an hour on the unpaved roads. You need a 4x4 to reach this hotel! It is part of the fun though!
We appreciated the welcome drink when we arrived!

We were met by a very nice girl at reception but the man who showed our room was not very friendly and seemed in a rush. It may be a language thing. The room itself was very nice.

We booked a sea view room and the view from the balcony is stunning. The rooms are the closest to the beach – closer than the suites. The room was very clean with complimentary coffee and ice. The balcony is large – with the only niggle is the noisy and ugly AC on the balcony. We have the same problem at home but have it build in a wooden case with ventilation to disguise it.

The view from the balcony is as stunning as the view from the pool. The beach is white sand lined with palm trees but the sea is rather ruff. My partner had fun but luckily I had a wonderful view from the pool without the waves! The same stunning view is enjoyed from the restaurant.

But… probably because the owner was not present the atmosphere was not that of a personal hotel. As a couple wanting a secluded quite couple of days together we didn’t really appreciate the over familiar waiters. It may be because there are so many Americans in Costa Rica and the waiters learn the manners from them but we didn’t appreciate being called Hi Guys.

The golf course is badly maintained and more mini golf than real golf. We wanted some exercise so didn’t hire a buggy but our advise is hire the buggy. There are no benches – no real shade and no club house . Don’t come here for the golf course.

The food at the pool restaurant was very poor. There was a choice of about 4 different hamburgers with French fries which gives an indication of the level of menu choice. The tuna fish sandwich was made with tinned tuna – in a county like Costa Rica! And mixed with a lot of mayonnaise that the sandwich was so wet it was like a sandwich you get at a petrol station. The salad was no better in quality. The drinks were served in plastic cups even when sitting in the restaurant. I understand that for safety they use them for drinks at the pool but in the restaurant! We felt as if we were in a all inclusive resort and not a quality hotel.

At dinner we wanted some advise on the wine card but discovered that most of the waiters did not speak English and nobody had any knowledge of the wine. When we asked for advise on a nice strong wine we were advised a Pinot Noir! We looked around and discovered that most of the guests seemed to be drinking cocktails or cola with their meals. This may explain the lack of knowledge of the wine. The menu was resort unimaginative resort food stuck somewhere in the 80’s with show cooking like Caesar Salad mixed at the table, shrimp cocktail mixed with loads of mayonnaise and desserts like banana split. Some of the guests took pictures of the show made of the flambé dessert. Maybe we are just spoiled but we liked this 20 years ago but now its rather naff. The food we ordered was ok. What you would expect from a resort. One night everything was served with a baked potato and the next day everything including the steak was served with rice.

Such a pity that in a country like Costa Rica with all the fresh fruit and spices grown in the country that all the food is shop bought - the ice cream choice is synthetic shop bought vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. – the fruit juice at breakfast is from a packet.

All in all the resort is situated on a wonderful beach – the rooms are nice – the views are fantastic but expect a resort with resort food. To quote a friend of mine – there’s nothing wrong with it we just didn’t like it. But maybe we should come back and give it another chance when the owner is on the premises.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms have the best views - even beter than the suites
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

You can read about great ocean view in other reviews... They are true!
I will tell you about the funniest spa experience in my life (since the place advertises itself as a spa). It was last days of our Costa Rican journey - my toe nails did not survive all hiking - I needed pedicure. $25 - not bad (I thought). So what did I get for the price? The spa did not have any air conditioning (hoooot!). The only fan faced the lady who tried her best with something she considered to be a spa pedicure. I sat on a regular wooden chair with my feet in a almost cold water for about 3 minutes. She asked me to put my feet on her... lap. My toe nails were done in about 10 minutes (she used the tools you can buy for $2-3 in Walgreens :). Then some scrab, and my feet again in the same cold water. Oh! The choice of the nail polish was the most ridiculous part! The spa lady had about 10 to choose from - 8 pale pink (sorry - not my color!), other 2 were so dark violet that I had to go with teenage pink. Wow! Is that a spa? :)) I need my sense of humor! Indeed. My college buddy did a better job than we were trying to save some money in my student past... :)))
My husband was disappointed with the condition of the golf course - he rated this place even lower that I did... if he knew the price of staying (I paid) - he would be very surprised. :)
The tennis court is in a poor condition as well (I suspect not a lot of romantic people who rated this place that high ever played tennis here).
Hmmm... I have to say some nice things! The restaurant has a good chef (4 stars!) and staff is enjoing the guests. The room was clean and comfortable.
I would recommend supertour that the hotel offers - we really enjoyed the Curu Reserve and Tortuga island! I am not a pool person - so I liked that the propety is large and I could enjoy hiking without driving.

I had feeling that the staff tried to do the best, but they just are not sure what the best is.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We found Tango Mar just driving around and were taken by the beautiful beach and resort. The resort is clean and well kept. The owner is a very fine lady and is more than happy to help you. Ocean views are perfect. We will be returning there next vacation. Very relaxing

• Stayed January 2012
South Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

This hotel has beautiful views and the restaurant, bar and pools are designed around them which many beach hotels are not. A couple upgrades and this place could be absolutely spectacular (more usable reception area and some design attention to the rooms). The beach hotel rooms and bathrooms are big and airy. The balconies have stunning views. Sure, it's remote but if you have a car or just want to swim, read and relax it's a perfect, small resort. We stayed for three nights -- and did the Curu Reserve and snorkeling trip to Turtle Island on the second day.

We didn't swim in the ocean because of the red tide (plankton bloom) which was a shame. And the water was a little rough. There weren't many kids but my boys had each other and plenty to explore on the beach and in the rock pools.

The food was good for Costa Rica and every table has a view. The fish was fresh and well-cooked and I preferred the sauces on the side as suggested by the waiter. The kids menu was the best we came across this holiday and the classic European desserts were delicious except for the dramatic lava cake which looked better than it tasted.

The owner was there at the time and very attentive to everyone. We had two small problems with a sliding door and the hot water handle and they were fixed immediately.

Room Tip: They had newer rooms and Tiki suite but I liked the rooms over looking the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I took our anniversary trip to Tango Mar in November 2011. We stayed in the Tiki Suites for three nights, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the room! I almost went with another room type to save money, but I am SO glad I splurged for the Tiki Suite. If you are on the fence, you will not regret staying in the Tiki Suites!

Our room was steps away from the restaurant and beach, which was fantastic since we ate breakfast there every morning and dinner there every night.

Breakfast: how can you not love breakfast with such lovely views and service? The rice and beans were my favorite!

Overall I found the food to be somewhat bland at Tango Mar, but that could just be because I like things abnormally spicy!

Dinner and drinks at Tango Mar were a delight each night. Even though we didn't have a honeymoon package, the staff set us up with a private beach-side dinner. I inquired about the "special dinner" after breakfast one morning, not knowing it was part of a package, so I was very surprised when one staff member approached us at the pool bar and told us that they'd be ready for us at 8pm.

In Costa Rica, the waitstaff does not "hound" you like they do in American restaurants. I think Americans are accustomed to immediate service, and while in CR, we learned to take our time and enjoy our meals. This sometimes meant that we had to wait a few extra minutes for a refill, but it also allowed us to spend quality time together without constant interruption.

Also, the portions are smaller in CR. There are no endless bread baskets, but we were always full and not uncomfortably so as we often are at home. My tips for dinner: get the wine carafe and the ice cream! The wine for the value, and the ice cream because it is the best ice cream I've ever had.

We loved having after dinner drinks at the bar. The bartender was a fun dancer and took turns dancing with many of the wives there. There wasn't any other entertainment going on, so it was nice that the bar area got a little lively.

I was looking forward to meeting Hilde after reading all the great reviews about her. Sadly, she only kind of smiled at us and spent all of her time with a small group of the other guests, who I'm assuming spoke the same language. Not a big deal though.

The prices at the restaurants and bar were all very reasonable and near the same as what we would pay at a restaurant in the states. We loved having the convenience of charging everything to our room and not having to keep up with credit cards and cash, which we kept in the safe in our room.

There was a small storm one night that took out our power. I called and was told it would come back on in 20 minutes, which turned out to be a couple of hours. I'd laughed when my husband had packed head-lamps, but found myself using one to read in the dark that night until the power came back on. It was a minor inconvenience and gave us a fun story!

We didn't do any excursions through Tango Mar, as I'd already planned those through TripAdvisor recommendations. We did the horseback ride with Marvin from Montezuma, and the waterfall he takes you to is the waterfall located on Tango Mar's property. We were glad that we hadn't made the hike from our room once we realized this!

There were hardly any children, so I think of this more as an adult resort.

We absolutely loved staying here and can't imagine staying anywhere else in the future.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!