“The best!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Tambor Beach

You added Barcelo Tambor Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Tambor Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Tambor, Tambor 771-1150, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Up to 20% discount
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Tambor
“The best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

•All te services were great!!!
•The food delicious!!!
•The room so confortable...
•The pool so clean
•The animation from the employees in te theater, they really wants to make us happy.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The best vacations of my life

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Lisseth:

Thanks so much for leaving a comment in this website.

We appreciate the fact you want to share your experience in our hotel during your stay this due to your comment is taken as source of information to improve ourselves. We are very happy to read that you could enjoy the different services we are up to offer.

Once again , thank you very much for dedicating part of your worthy time in leaving a comment

We are working in having a excellent service in each occasion you will be eventually be with us, so do We trust in welcome you and your family sonly in our resort.

Best Regards.

Director General
Hotel Barceló Tambor Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Nootdorp, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We are travelling around the world and had one of our worst experiences here, also the first issue we had so far with a hotel. We drove past the hotel and informed about the next days price and agreed to come back the day after. While checking in, we were told the rate was around 25% higher. Long story about weekend tariff and so on. I live by a promise is a promise principle, they apparently don't. Nobody showed a sign of understanding and customer orientation, more a production process orientation. We walked away and will not come back

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
San Leandro, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Be careful when booking. If you look closely they give you an option of 1 king but then it says or two doubles. There is no way to guarantee your room type! I had to pay an additional $100 because of course the only rooms they had available with 1 king were upgraded rooms. Plus, I looked online and the rates had gone down since the time I had booked. I asked for them to upgrade me for free since my original booking was actually more expensive than the upgraded room was however, they were rude and just continued to give me the run around. In addition to having rude people at check in most of the staff wasn't very friendly.

The food was not very good. Probably the worst I had while I visited Costa Rica. Most of it was the same and if you plan on visiting for a while you'll get bored. I was there for 3 nights and still ended up eating at other places. So if you plan on saving money on food don't count on this place.

The only thing that was probably worth our money was unlimited alcohol, if you really enjoy drinking and hanging out of the beach it's worth it. The room was comfortable but nothing fancy. The other thing that was nice was that the beach wasn't crowded, it did feel like a breath of fresh air.

There are a lot of local people that stay there so if you don't speak Spanish you may feel out of place.

I wouldn't stay here again. Or suggest for anyone to stay here either.

Stayed April 2015
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear,

Miss Anabel621.

Thank you very much for writing a comment in this website.

We regret your stay in our hotel didn´t meet your expectations. Thank you very much for let us know your opinion the one which help us to improve our client service.

In regards with your observation about the King size bed, in the moment when you request your reservation through our webpage www.barcelo.com there is an additional paragraph with a request where you can ask for a king size bed, first floor, among other things. These requests are always against hotel availability.

In our webpage is offered the best available price in the moment of making your reservation. In fact there are certain occasions which are launched offering available in our website such as flash sales, limited spaces and some restrictions in the management of reservation department policies. Indeed the hotel has no authorization in modifying or altering the made reservations . in case you need it you can do it directly with the client webpage through the tool of management of the reservation in according the original reservation policies ( no shows, restriction of dates etc.) the $ 100.00 of additional payment is for requesting ocean view making in the moment of your check in.

In regards your comments about the variety and food quality in our main restaurant everynight we have theme-dinner such as Mexican, Italian, typical or Spanish where you can able to try the most signicant dishes of each country, likewise we have a restaurant of meat and seafood “ El Rancho” and a “Japanese food”

In our hotel we have qualified staff and with knowledge of English language that make our international clients can enjoy the service and adequate attention on this language.

Thank you very much for the time it took to let us know about your observations.

Best Regards,

Raúl Arranz Medrano
Director
Barceló Tambor Beach.
San Ramon, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here for a few nights as a family of 6. The place was nice but very busy and full. That's not really the hotel's fault, but it did detract a bit from the feeling of relaxation you might be looking for. The rooms are good, the staff is nice, and there's not much that stands out as either really good or really bad. The food was a bit repetitive and the desserts were pretty boring.

It should also be noted that the majority of the guests seem to be Costa Rican. That's nice in some ways, but in others, like entertainment, there's not much if you're not from around here or if you don't speak Spanish. Part of our group doesn't speak Spanish, so that meant that a lot of the entertainment wasn't as interesting.

The only full-on negative point I can think of was the check-out, which was a mess. The whole lobby was completely full and the staff seemed swamped. And I guess included wifi would have been nice, considering the price, but at the same time, it's supposed to be for relaxing, supposedly.

Anyhow, it was all pretty good, or at least average.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear customer,

Thank you very much for letting a comment in this website.

We are a team which works to give you a service with the satisfaction expectations required for our customers, in accordance to the quality standards.

We are more than happy to get to know that during your stay you could enjoy the personal treatment as well the rooms.

We took into consideration the observation you made regarding entertainment, food, desserts, and check out. We have proceeded to share your comment with the in charge departments and so applying correct manners in situations similar to the ones you just mention, for the hotel to not let this occur again.

Once again, thank you very much.

We hope to have you back soon.

Director General
Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I were looking for a place in the middle of nowhere, that we could shut down and relax. Barceló Tambor Beach was the perfect place to do this. We really tried to like this place but there were just some nagging things that could easily be fixed. None of these items took away from our relaxation. I will start with the dislikes, because I want to end my review on a good note, because we did really enjoy the resort.
Things that could improve:
We arrived about 6:00pm from a long day of travel. We needed to wash up before we ate dinner. There were no wash clothes in the bathroom. I called the front desk, and they told me the laundry closed at 4:00 and they would bring some the next day. Really!
The all inclusive stocked mini bar was almost a joke. We had 1 water 1 coke and 1 fresca. We drink a lot of water especially when it is hot and humid. We don't like fresca. So we ask for two bottles of water. They told us they only provide two soda's and 1 water per day. Really! They did bring us two bottles of water and another coke, but we had to call every day. There were two day's they did not put anything in our fridge.
Reading many review about the food at the resort, we were not expecting much. We had three nights we could eat at the al a carte restaurants. There were only two but since we do not like sushi there was really only one for us. We ate at the seafood steak restaurant two nights and decided the buffet food was better so we canceled the third night. Buffet food was good but not great.

Now for the good stuff;
The resort all though old has been really well kept and maintained. We loved the setting and the fact that it was small in size and only two stories. The grounds looked nice and landscape was well manicured. Pools were refreshing and never seemed to be crowded. Unlike many resorts we have visited, you did not have to get out stupid early to put your towel on a chair to have a spot around the pool. Bar and snack bar was very convenient and offered good drinks and snack food. We were there as a couple, but the place was very family friendly. Not a lot of rowdiness going on. Beach was not the best beach we have been to, but it was very private, and had much space, not crowded, with shade available. It was a great beach to walk down when the tide was out.
The photographers they use to take pictures are really good at what they do. We used Margot and she did an excellent job on making us look good.
Other than the mini bar ordeal the service was excellent. Servers at the restaurants did a great job. Alex at the customer service desk was very helpful.
We visited the spa and my wife had a facial and message, and I had a message. Both of us came out feeling great.
It was neat to watch the beautiful Scarlet Macaw birds flying around. Howler Monkeys roaring at the tree tops. Then there are the massive number of Iguanas lurking around the grounds.

Getting to the resort. It was a little confusing when they offered the $74 per couple for the transfer from the SJO airport to the resort. There is only one time available for this transfer and it is at 6:30am. So you have to fly in the day before and spend the night in San Jose to take advantage of this shuttle. If you can't meet this time then it is $300 one way for a private transfer. The ground/ferry takes 4.5 hours from what I'm told. We booked a round trip flight from SJO to TMU/Tambor for $382 and that was for two people. The private shuttle on ground would have been $600 round trip and 9 hours of transportation time. The flight was 29 minutes one way. From the TMU airport to the resort it is a 5 minute ride with a taxi for $5. I highly recommend this option.

Room Tip: We had a room with an ocean view. It was nice to set right out of our room and enjoy the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Godadddytrecker

Thanks so much for writing a comment in this website and sharing your experience through this website.

We have taken into consideration the observations you made. Reorganizing laundry department schedule and towels deliverance aimed to avoid this sort of inconvenient. Likewise It has been indicated to the personal who is in charge of filling the minibar that take into consideration the guest necessities when refilling bottles of water and soda. In regards food, it has been held a gathering with the chef to improve the quality of dishes served in on our restaurants.

Thank you very much for your positives comments about our facilities, swimming pool, snack bar, gardens, restaurant staff, client service and SPA-
Thank you s much for sharing with us your experience, this undoubtly it helps to improve and give a better service for our clients.

Regards,
Raúl Arranz Medrano
Director
Barceló Tambor Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

I uses to love coming here for vacations and relaxing time, actually this is my 4th visit in the last 2 years and I probably won't return again, this time food was just very poor quality, like if they cant afford a chef to even taste the food, this is not only my opinion, I've talked to some other visitors and they think similar.
Another aspect is that they do have preferences among visitors; why do I say that? let me tell you: besides the restaurant you can reserve a special dinner at an apart restaurant inside the hotel, me and my girlfriend were told that we have to reserve between 8am and 9am to be able to get a space, we came at 8:15am and they told us that everything was busy by that time, at first we thought that we came late but later on we realized that the whole 2 apart restaurants were full of people from Spain, that was the hotel who reserved the spaces just to make a good impression.
I do not mind that, what I dislike is that they lied to me and my girl and I hate liars and that's why I do not trust this place any more.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, March 27, 2015
Dear Gabriel,

Greeting from Barceló Tambor Beach commercial department.

First of all we must thank the time it took for you writing a comment on this website as well as sharing your experience with us, we are always interested on applying the services improvements we currently offer, indeed we constantly receive an excellent feedback an so we can generate alternative solutions to achieve your maximum satisfaction.

In regards food quality observations I must say the hotel has excellent quality for the preparation of the dishes served in restaurants. Personal treatment is aimed to please and make everything during client´s stay and each interaction in order to fullfil yours request, interchangeably customer nationality. We also took into consideration the observation about the process to reserve in a la carte restaurants, just for the record there is no discrimination in our guest´s nationality.

Once again thank you very much.

Hoping you reconsider your opinion and get back soon.

See you soon

Sincerely ,
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2015

We stayed at this resort at the end of an active week in Costa Rica.
I would have been disappointed in this resort if we were here for more than 2 nights.

The resort has passed it's time. Whilst scenic with lovely gardens, it has a sad vibe. In March, it was more than half empty. The nightly entertainment all but absent.

The beach poorly kept and un loved.

The pool was great.

The food was the worst I ate in Costa Rica. The staff were deflated and mostly dismissive.

As it was the end of my vacation, I was content to sit pool side and sip a coctail. If this had been the main stay of my holidays, I would have been upset.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2015
Dear Ally,

Greetings from Barceló Tambor Beach,

First of all, we want to thank you for the time it took you to write a comment on this website.

Your support contributes to keep an excellent communication with our customers, this it helps the opportunity of having a correct feed back to gradually improve and provide a better service and better comfort. We fully regret your experience on Tambor it was not what you expected. We have proceeded to share your personal note to work in improving and applying measures and refresh procedures, not only working in improving your next stay, I hope you can reconsider your opinion about the services we give. Indeed, I must say that we have beach cleaning campaigns granted by Comisión Nacional del Programa Bandera Azul Ecológica certifying with the Galardón Bandera Azul, annually by the organization and development in concordance with the protection of natural resources.

Time to say good bye, we fully thank for the time it took in writing.

Regards,

Dirección General
Hotel Barceló Tambor Beach

Been to Barcelo Tambor Beach? Share your experiences!