“Worst place I've ever stayed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Tambor Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Tambor Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Tambor Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Tambor, Tambor 771-1150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Tambor
East Setauket, New York
“Worst place I've ever stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My son had been here before and enjoyed it. When he called this time to make reservations he stressed that he needed handicap accessible. He walks with a walker. He was assured that it was. It was not!! Instead he had to spend 7 days in a wheel chair because of the dangerous, slippery tiles. No one spoke English, not even the staff or management. We were the only English speaking people in the whole resort. The tile around the pool and in the restaurants was extremely slippery. We saw quite a few people fall including ourselves. The food was for the most part very greasy. The help tried to be helpful but was unable to communicate with us. My daughter in law couldn't even get cold milk for the baby because of the lack of communication. There were no shows at nite. Their idea of a show was a half hour of games for children and they only spoke Spanish. The beach was advertised as white sand. It was muddy and dirty. We ended up leaving 2 days early and going to San Jose. I've travelled quite a bit and I've never been so unhappy with a place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

For one it takes 3 hours from the airport!!! That charges $250. It's up a bunch of scary dirt road. The hotel was nice but not worth going for this location, I was ready to turn around and go back to the US before even getting in the cab. There is no beautiful scenery outside of the hotel. Wifi is not included and if you pay for wifi and you have more than one device u can only use one device at a time IN THE ROOM. There is no wifi on other hotel areas. The food was plain disgusting, would have thought that would have been at the least ok. This is my first day here and I still have some days to go hopefully it gets better but other than that I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AT ALL!!! Come at your own risk

• Stayed August 2014
Dublin, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

If you are used to five star resorts you may want to look elsewhere. Although this is a nice resort there are many things that could be done to make the experience nicer.
This was our first time in Costa Rica and to be honest I really thought that the resort would be similar to some other resorts we've been to, I was wrong. The staff was helpful but for the most part we felt like an inconvenience due to the fact that we did not speak Spanish. At a resort where many of guests are from Canada and the US it would be beneficial for their staff to be fluent in English.
The food was average at best. I admit that I am a picky eater and expect that the food for me would be less than desirable however, I travelled with 2 people who are not picky eaters and they were disappointed at the selection. It seems as though the food was either the same or slightly different each day. For guests that are staying for a week or more selection in the menu would be a welcomed change.
The pool was nice...more lounge chairs would be a good idea with additional umbrellas for shade coverage. On a couple of occasions after getting drinks from the pool bar we took the drinks to the other end of the pool and then were told by security that we could not have the drinks in that end of the pool...to be honest this is the most ridiculous rule at the pool. What is the difference if I drink at that end of the pool or the other? Nothing!
The rooms.. We stayed in a room that had 2 double beds. The beds were comfy and the bedding clean. The room overall could use a remodel, it's a little dated. The a/c was great, very powerful which was nice. Nice television with some English stations. The bathroom needs an overhaul. In the shower there was mildew, no water pressure. The cleaning staff provided a room of 3 guests 4 bath towels, 1 hand towel and no facecloths! The toilet paper although 2 ply was like wiping with cheap paper towel! (It's the little things)
The cleaning staff always did a nice job of tidying the room.
Overall the resort is average in my opinion and a bit disappointing. We had a good time and made the best of our girls vacation creating new memories....
Would I go back to this resort? I'm on the fence about this. I believe that some things need to change at this resort to give your guests a more pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Ms. Meloney D.:

Receive our greetings from Barceló Tambor Beach Hotel.

Thanks for post your comments on this website.

We have taken seriously your opinion and we are working on each of the observations described, to continue growing and trying to be better every day.

We are grateful if you give us an opportunity to meet the improvements that we are making, and we hope again to have your presence and your family in our facilities.

Once again, thanks for the time spent in publish your opinions.

Yours faithfully,

Raúl Arranz Medrano
Principal
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Months later, my 6 and 9-year old still talk about the fun activities here, as well as the pools, food and also the macaws! There's quite a bit to keep young ones occupied between arts and crafts, trampoline, the various pools, and the macaw area (as well as spotting the wild macaws and watching the huge iguanas lounge about the property).

My son got a cut while in the ocean, and one of the dance instructors scooped him up and rushed him off to the on-site doctor, who thoroughly cleaned the wound and bandaged it. It's nice to have competent medical staff on site when traveling with kids.

The serpentarium seemed sort of untended too, but this is a minor detail.

I didn't see lifeguards on duty at the pool, though perhaps there were. As a safety precaution I'd make sure my kids were out of the pool before dusk, as it was hard to find them in the dim, crowded pools once it got dark (and night falls fast in the tropics!).

Also, for the trampoline and wall climbing, kids need to sign up at the activity area at like 10am. The activities then take place in the afternoon, but I saw several people show up disappointed because they missed the sign saying they needed to sign up beforehand.

The room was very comfortable and looked out onto a pleasant green space. The gardens are very pretty, and the maintenance crew unobtrusive. There was always fresh fruit and water available which is nice in the heat, and the meals were satisfying, if not always spectacular, but then again they are preparing food for hundreds!

A definite easy vacation with little ones, and beautiful views from the beach ... watching the planes come in off the ocean to land on the little strip next to the hotel was also neat for my kids.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Ms Sophia.

Thanks for publishing your comments on this website.

For us is a big pleasure to get to know your stay in our resort have met your expectations.

We thank your comments regarding our activities staff and the medical support.

We take into consideration your observations related to the serpentarium and the inscription of the activities aimed to get better in our customer service

Once again thank you very much for having the time to let us know about your experience in our hotel.

Best regards;
Raúl Arranz
Director Comercial
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The resort offers great value for the price. I've been to some luxury all inclusive resorts but of course the prices I paid were much higher, too. We got an awesome deal on the ocean front room so we decided to come here. Only a few of the staff speak English. But that is not much of a problem since we got by using gestures and some basic Spanish words. The staff were generally nice and helpful. I also feel they are working hard. Whenever I walked around, I saw someone sweeping/mopping the floor, wiping the tables, etc. Our room was normally cleaned by noon every day and bed was comfy. Out of the two restaurants needs reservation. The steakhouse has great ribeye. The Japanese restaurant is a hidden gem.

Wherever I traveled, I always use a money belt and leave other valuables in the hotel safe. I didn't feel that this hotel is more unsafe than other places I visited. My only suggestion to the management is that the public restrooms next to the buffet and the front desk are in need of renovation.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms is the way to go
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear M. Denver C.

Greetings from Barceló Tambor Beach;

It is a big pleasure to know we have met your expectations during your trip.

We want to thank you for the good comments in regards with the relationship of the amiability of our staff and our a la carté restaurant.

We will take into consideration your suggestions regarding the handling of public toilets.

We thank you the time spent on publishing your comments, the ones will help to improve day by day.

Best Regards
Raúl Arranz
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here 3 days and nights. The accommodations were so so. The room was comfortable and the A/C worked. Our room safe was broken and we never got it fixed for the 3 days we stayed. Someone stole all of our belongings from the pool area. ID's, cameras, phone, credit cards, money towels ect. This of course is of no fault of the resort just our experience. The staff was somewhat helpful in our situation but were not what I would call outstanding by any means. They refused to help us file a police report. I guess they did not want to tarnish their image. They did however let us use their phone at the front desk to make international calls to cancel our credit cards ect. Security was able to recover our ID's from the trash and for that we were thankful. The food was sub-standard and the reservation only steakhouse was horrible. The property was very neat and clean and the staff was very courteous and helpful. Overall an average experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Mr Joseph T:

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you took in publishing your comment in this website.

We fully regret the inconvenient occurred in the swimming pool; actually we have been working for this not happen once again.

We have been carefully following each one of your comments regarding food and the reservation at the steak house,

this with the main purpose of working in the elaboration of new menus and food preparation in coordination of our chef executive and his staff.

We appreciate your comments about the amiability of our employers the cleanness and neatness of our facilities.

Once again thank you the time it took you publishing your comments.

Best regards:
Raul Arranz
Brandywine, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

First let me start by saying this hotel was much better than I expected. The photos on the website did not do the hotel justice. I have to give the staff at the Steak House kudos for the dinner on Thursday 26, June 2014. There was an unexpected storm and we were forced from the dining area into the actual kitchen by high winds and rain. The staff still prepared a meal for us and everyone that chose to stick around was served a great meal. Absolutely fabulous

Room Tip: If you want a hammock ask for a corner room. Even though a hammock will not make the trip it may ju...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Notlrac 1971:

Greetings from Barceló Tambor Beach resort& spa hotel.

Thank you very much for the time you spent on writing a comment through this website.

We have proceeded to congratulated our staff at the steak house “El rancho”, aimed they keep on working in such excellent manner and customer service.

It is a honor to know we have met your expectations during your visit in our facilities.

We hope to have you once again in our resort.

Best regards;
Raul Arranza
Braceló Tambor Beach

Been to Barcelo Tambor Beach? Share your experiences!