“Amazing Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Oceano

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tambor
Casa Oceano
Save Saved
You added Casa Oceano to your Saves list
Tambor, Costa Rica   |
Great Falls, Virginia
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I struggled with myself about whether I should or should not write this review. Why? Because if everyone knows what a perfect spot Casa Oceano is, it might not be available the next time we want to go! My husband and I celebrated our 50th anniversary with our family there in January 2013. We were looking for the following:

1. A secluded spot
2. A house directly on the beach
3. A place that was kid friendly (there would be a 4 year old and an 18 month old)
4. Wonderful views
5. Full staff to cook, clean and help us with whatever we needed

Casa Oceano has all this and more. It is located within the 125 acre Tango Mar resort. There is a small low-key hotel and a handful of houses within the property. The beautiful beach has large rock outcroppings at either end so there is no access other than through the gates of the resort. In a single day we saw at the most a dozen other people on the ¼ mile long beach. Usually there was no one but us. The house sits right on the beach and has a lovely, outdoor lounge area and an infinity pool. Five of the six bedrooms have full length glass doors leading to a balcony with spectacular views of the ocean.

I had made a “scouting” trip to Costa Rica to check out more than 18 different possibilities where we could have our celebration. Casa Oceano won hands down over all the others, in terms of meeting our criteria.

The one issue I saw on my scouting trip was that there were no railings along the steps leading down to the house from the parking area or on the steps going up to the master bedroom suite. I told Hansel, the house manager, about my concerns, because of my husband’s difficulty in handling steps. He contacted the owner, and they said they would have railings put in. The railings were in place when we arrived and it made all the difference in the world. The communications I had with the owners were fantastic. They were exceptionally accommodating, answered emails promptly and answered any questions we had. They take very good care of the house. It is immaculate.

The physical aspects of the house are fabulous, but it is the wonderful staff that makes the trip even more special. The house manager, Hansel, was wonderful, well organized and made sure that everything ran smoothly. He arranged tours, a marimba band, a baby sitter, put up a volleyball net on the beach, made a bon fire on the beach under the full moon for our anniversary party, etc. We opted for the food plan and Sylvia made fabulous meals with a local flare. Well worth doing! Wendy and Henry, the other two permanent staff members, were excellent.

Our biggest decision of each day was where to sit to listen to the waves crashing on the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I know this is a bit on the late side, but while writing a review for another location, I was reminded to write in about our latest trip BACK to Casa.Oceano.

We went there at the end of April returning in May. We were beside ourselves with utter amazement that they could improve in something we considered perfect before. WOW!
Not only was the staff still there and as wonderful as ever, the additional amenities were an awesome surprise. Where else do you go in paradise and get a portable Bose speaker system to put your iPod/iPhone into! You could take it anywhere in or around the house! The toiletries in the bathrooms were beyond the norm. A larger dining table that can seat a small army. A brand new stainless steel barbecue and even an espresso machine just to name a few.

The wildlife, beautiful evenings and the pure romance of this oasis is impossible to put it all in writing. I can guarantee you would not be disappointed. This is the BEST I've ever experienced in all of our travels! We came before and loved it so much we returned. We would be insane not to continue coming back again and again. Casa Oceano is our new home away from home plus, for our return adventures in paradise.

Room Tip: They have it all. Forget any hotels anywhere else in Tambor or nearby surrounding areas.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Key West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We recently spent a week at Casa Oceano with friends. We expected a beautiful place but were amazed at how incredibly beautiful this home and surroundings are. Everything is very weel maintained and manicured. The view from all areas of the house are extraordinary and the sound of crashing surf helped us relax and forget the stress we left behind. With the help of Hansel, the concierge, we zip lined, horseback rode on the beach and rode ATV's through some of the most beautiful countryside and beaches I have ever seen (and we have seen a lot of places as we sail in the Carribean). We went for relaxation but just could not resist seeing more of this amazing place.
The meals were sumptuous. Silvia is the best cook and the food was fresh and plentiful. Don't even think about the calories, just go for it! Everything is home-made and irresistible. No need to go anywhere else to eat-this is the best restaurant within 30 miles.
We teased that if a leaf dropped, it was picked up within 30 seconds (almost true).
If you are thinking about a ocean front luxury vacation, you should reserve this prooperty; you will not be sorry.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I discovered Casa Oceano on a luxury villa travel site while researching places for a large group of friends to celebrate my 60th birthday. We are all mostly airline employees and have rented a number of villas in various parts of the world on previous occasions, and most of our group agreed that Casa Oceano was perhaps the best ever!
The villa is literally right on the beach, with a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the ocean. All of the rooms were immaculately clean, thanks to the meticulous hard work of Wendy. Henry kept the grounds in pristine shape, and even built a huge bonfire on the beach as a birthday surprise. And then there's Hansel, the villa's friendly & professional onsite concierge, who helped coordinate everything from booking zip-line tours to keeping our freezer stocked with ice. The service he provided was invaluable to ensuring everything about our vacation ran smoothly.
Most the the people in our group love to cook, so we decided to do our own meal preparation the first few days. The final three days we took advantage of the optional meal plan, and WOW, were we glad we did. Chef Sylvia was nothing short of fantastic preparing three delicious meals daily, always presented on a beautiful table. This was no small feat for a group of twelve. To anyone who may be wavering on whether to purchase the meal plan or not, I would say just do it!
I just can't say enough good things about the staff at Casa Oceano ... they all helped make my birthday celebration special beyond my expectations.
The only "downside" to our trip had nothing to do with the villa itself. Unfortunately, the waters around this area were just recovering from a recent occurrence of red tide (algal bloom). Because of this, Hansel recommended that we not eat any shellfish. Although this was disappointing because we were very much looking forward to Sylvia's special grilled lobster dinner - we appreciated the honest advise.
The only other thing I would mention is if you fly into San Jose (SJO) and plan to take a van to Puntarenas and then take the ferry across to Paquera, do NOT let your driver talk you into driving you all the way to the villa if you miss one of the ferry's scheduled departures. Wait for the next ferry even if it's hours later! You do NOT want to drive all the way from San Jose to Casa Oceano. Either take the van/ferry, or fly from SJO to the Tambor airport.
All in all, Casa Oceano is a fantastic beachfront villa with a fantastic staff that I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Room Tip: Although the villa will accommodate up to twelve people in 6 bedrooms, it is ideal for eight (four c...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We spent the month of February at Casa Oceano and have not had a better location, staff, accommodation, or property owner for our vacation. We were pampered but never felt our privacy was invaded. We had food that far surpassed the finest resorts. Our beach was ours alone to enjoy and we also enjoyed our own terrace and pool. The owners were really on top of everything and even provided for special food requests. If you want the ultimate Costa Rican experience try Casa Oceano. The house manager, Hansel, will arrange for any additional touring for you and make suggestions for short day tours to near-by attractions.

Room Tip: All rooms were very nice but the two Master Suites were very special with one of them enjoying a com...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

My husband and I read about Casa Oceano on a luxury travel blog and decided to give it a try. Normally, we stay in upscale resorts, but the idea of privacy – just being with your own family by renting a house sounded more of what we wanted this time.

The location of the house incredible, right on the beach, it couldn’t have been closer or better. The house is maintained perfectly, is a very open design and airy, so sometimes we just slept with the windows open in our upstairs bedroom which had a balcony overlooking the pool, beach and ocean.

We opted for the meal plan, and were glad we did. Sylvia, the chef, introduced us to the best of local dishes, (I’m addicted to tres leches now), and the seafood was the freshest I’ve ever tasted.

The staff was eager to please. Hansel, the villa manager spoke English, was always available to answer any questions, and helped us arrange some great tours. I would recommend the Tortuga Island snorkeling tour. We were taken on a 20 minute scenic boat ride to the island from the nearby village of Tambor. The canopy tour was a little too adventurous for me, although everybody else loved it. Hansel arranged horseback riding on the beach from the Tango Mar Resort stables.

From the welcoming pina coladas to our final farewells to the staff, we all had a great time. Everything about the house, the staff and location exceeded our expectations. They even supplied free boogie boards and returned to light a bonfire for us one night. Wendy, the maid, did our laundry for us. We got the resort attention we wanted, and our privacy too!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We had a wonderful vacation at Casa Oceano..My husband and I took our family for 7 days. 10 adults and 1/1/2 year old. We had a fabulous time for rest and relaxation. Hansel was wonderful and speaks very good english. Sylvia the chef...awesome...makes the food from scratch and was very good and plenty of food!! Wendy and Henry...what can I say..the total staff was wonderful...The meal ticket was well worth the value.. Sleeping arrangements were great. We will recommend to friends and will be back. Thanks Casa Oceano for a wonderful vacation for the Castle Family!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casa Oceano? Share your experiences!