“Loved the experience of being here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Paraiso Carlisa

You added Hotel Paraiso Carlisa to your Saves list
Hotel Paraiso Carlisa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Los Angeles De Chiris, Parrita | Puntarenas , Parrita, Parrita, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Parrita
Calgary, Canada
“Loved the experience of being here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

This hotel is an experience, not just a place to stay. The beautiful setting, natural areas and wonderful staff made our stay truly enjoyable. The food was exceptional! Tony the chef made every meal a tantalizing delight for our tastebuds - the best food I've had here in Costa Rica. Joshua, from the front desk couldn't have been more helpful - he welcomed us and showed us around with hospitality that went above and beyond our expectations. The animals, the setting, the staff and peaceful ambiance is all well worth the visit. A true example of Costa Rican hospitality! This hotel will remain forever, one of my favourite places!
Connie Dye, Calgary AB, Canada

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

connaught
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

When previous reservations fell through due to the World Surfing championships and almost every hotel being overbooked, my colleague managed to get a booking at the Paraiso Carlisa for 1 night, I ended up staying 4.
Lthough advertised as a Best Western, the hotel is actually an independently owned and operated eco lodge about 15kms north of the main Jaco-Quepos highway.
Instead of the usual bedroom with twin beds, the accomodation was an individual bugalow with a huge bedroom, kitchenette and large bathroom. The whole place was immaculately clean and the staff couldnt have been more accomodating, including the owner Gaultier, who went out of his way when my rental car broke down, (driving me back to the car to tow it to a secure location and making all the necessary calls as my Spanish is not great).
Im definitely going back to Costa Rica and will definitely be staying a few nights here again. The only drawbacks I can think of is the road up to the hotel is not great and you need to take care while driving (its only 15km though and quiet). There was internet access in the main hotel but the wireless in the bungalow was weak. Apart from that I couldnt find fault with the hotel.
If you're looking for somewhere peaceful and quiet, yet not too far from the beaches and towns in this part of Costa Rica (Jaco, Hermosa, Quepos etc), then this hotel is perfect.
I was even lucky enough to be there when the family of white faced monkeys paid their weekly visit!!
BTW Do yourself a financial favour and book directly through the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

I went to the hotel last weekend with my boyfriend and we had a blast. It was all we expected and more. We enjoyed a horse back ride; we had the chance to hike in the mountains and discover two amazing waterfalls, that were the highlight of our trip. We observed different kinds of animals including white faced monkeys, woodpeckers, a sloth, toucans, and a beatiful frog (Dendrobates auratus). The pool is very refreshing. The rooms are clean and comfy. The staff is willing to attend all your needs. The food is simple but good. On the last night they planned a barbecue with live music included (Superb!) Im costa rican and I can tell you, this place feels really like paradise. We are very satisfied, and planning to come back for sure. Overall: TWO THUMBS UP!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

I went to Costa Rica to remodel a vacation home belonging to my employer. After 10 days of living in "the rough" I headed up the mountain to check out reports of a "local" hotel. It was the Paraiso Carlisa, not exactly a local hotel! It's more like a slice of heaven. It is an amazing place. I decided to indulge myself and asked for the best room available. I was led down a short paved driveway to a bungalow (the size of a small house) in the forest only 40 yards from the main lodge yet it was secluded, private, and felt as though I was deep into the rain forest. I could stay for only 2 nights and immediately made plans to return. I returned later that year in August. I invited local friends to join me for my vacation and the staff treated all of them like royalty. While there, the owners arrived from Spain and decided to throw a party for us. Dinner and dancing for everyone. We rode to the falls on horseback led by the owner himself, a delightful person. If I had spent a million dollars on a vacation I could not have had a better time than I did here. The Paraiso Carlisa is a real quaint and romantic hideaway, a place to relax and reflect, to be pampered, and sample "the good life".

• Liked — Huge, impeccable room. Friendly staff. The amazing views. Price! Remoteness.
  • Disliked — The road, however paving is in progress.
  • Stayed April 2004, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

This place is amazing!!! We went to Costa Rica for a short amount of time just to see the country to eventually come back and know where to go. As we were looking on internet for hotels, we found this 4 star hotel wich had an amzing deal! It was 169$ for three days, two nights. We had 1 lunch included, 2 breakfast, 2 dinners and a wonderful hoseback ride to a lovely waterfall. The room was impeccable. We had a little cabin with a nice kingsize bed, tv, bathroom etc. and very nice wood finishing.
We were surounded by forest and on our last morning, we were awakened by capuchin monkeys at our window.

Theres was about 10 people staying a the ''resort''. It felt like our private hotel!. The food was very good(simple but good) the staff was VERY VERY nice!!! We had a problem because we din't speek spanish and the waitress understood absolutly nothing but the guy who was incharge was bilingual and was very helfull. The pool had a very nice view and there was a sloth with baby living in a three right near the pool. They say it is a salt water pool but expect a good amout of chlorine:P. Still very nice.
There is a nice little road you can take that leads to a ''ranch'' wich they sadly do not use because it has a lovely ambianceand the views are amazing.

The hotel is located about 1h by taxi from the town called Parrita and its a long dirt road wich amazingly leads to San José.(I wouldnt want to take that whole ride).Theres not much around the hotel...actualy, there is nothing but land. Its an amazing place to come and relax, see the nature, take nice walks and enjoy yourself. Don't expect any ''Macdonald'' right on the corner! (thank goodness) Its not a place tp meet plenty of people, shop and see tourist. You will most likely meet some Ticos who are extremely nice and friendly.

Finaly I strongly recommend this hotel and if ever you go to this hotel or anywhere in Costa Rica and you dont understand spanish, BRING A PHRASE BOOK!!!!

• Liked — peace and respect of nature, service
  • Disliked — rocky road to get there
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed here by chance. I had difficulty finding a place near Manuel Antonio as I'd left it a bit too late during peak season, so decided to look from something between Manuel Antonio and Jaco. We had been on the Osa for 4 days and were on our way to La Fortuna so wanted something on the way so that we didn't just drive all the time. Hotel Paraiso Carlisa fit into our budget, but we were a little nervous that there wasn't a Trip Advisor review to give it the thumbs up.

As we travelled up the dirt road (in good condition) for about 1/2 hour away from the main highway we promised ourselves that if it looked awful we would just leave. As we pulled into the hotel all our concerns vanished. The hotel is lovely! The staff are amazingly friendly and the rooms are spotless, spacious and beautiful. We were there the night before New Years Eve and they had only 4 other guests. It felt like our own personal vacation home. There is this incredible salt water swimming pool with a great view along with the most tastefully understated decorated rooms we stayed in the whole of our trip.

What we hadn't realized when we reserved was that they were running a deal that included a most memorable horseback ride to possibly the prettiest waterfalls we went to the whole time we were in Costa Rica. Admittedly part of what made them so beautiful is that we were the only ones there! Not only did our package include the horseback ride, but also breakfast, lunch and dinner. We didn't want to leave. We both agreed that it would be worth staying in this quiet spot and travelling the 1/2 hour to the beach if we wanted just to have the experience we did.

The area is not touristy at all, in fact this seems to be a lot of arable land. If you're looking for shops and tours this might not be the place for you. If you're looking to see rainforest this is not necessarily the place, although you can see some. If you are looking for a lovely hotel, a lot of relaxation and friendly warm people and a good base to see the Central Pacific coast this is it.

One of the attractive features is that we were the only folks from the US. This was the first hotel where we met Ticos as guests. I understand that there maybe plans to make the hotel a little bigger than the current 12 rooms. I sincerely hope that they do not expand too much as it would certainly take away from the charm. I also look forward to returning and watching as the forest begins to cover more of the area.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Hotel Paraiso Carlisa? Share your experiences!