“Best food in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars

You added Beso del Viento to your Saves list
Beso del Viento
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Isla playa Palo Seco, Parrita 6300, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Parrita
“Best food in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

You need to be willing to be a little bit out of the way. This is not a mega resort with tons of activities. It is small, unpretentious, with simple but spotlessly clean rooms. But oh my, the food is something else. Bernarde cooks every night and you may choose to eat dinner there or not. I urge you to take advantage of his masterful French cooking. A main course with a vegetable side and an absolutely amazing dessert for a very modest price.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Elisabeth and Bernard are marvelous hosts. The location is incredible, peaceful and you have a huge beach almost for yourself. The place is remote and quiet. If all you want is to spend quiet time at the beach or by the pool you could just get there by taxi but if you want to explore the area more it is probably better to have a car. I liked my room very much, particularly the very large windows that stayed open all the time (mosquito-safe though, all were screened:). It was great falling asleep with the sounds of the ocean as lullaby. Everything is kept super clean and Elisabeth is very strict that the housekeeper does a great job in every room, every day. I wish I would have planned a longer stay there but I will surely go back. Bernard is a very good source of information and advice for visiting the nearby park (Manuel Antonio). Bernard is also a great cook. One needs to make a reservation for dinner and there is no menu one can choose from. Bernard will simply prepare a feast for the "family" they have over that night. Despite the lack of choice and the price that is more expensive than in other places, I strongly advise you to eat there, you will have a great French dinner with an impressive presentation. The dish is different every night and everything I ate there was amazing!
Lola (the dog) is a very friendly "guard" for the property. She likes to be petted. Max (the cat) was not very visible though. Maybe he felt I am more of a dog person:)

In short, this is a great place and one I intend to go back to and spend more relaxing time there on my next trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My partner and I left our stress-filled jobs and spent a week at this hotel over the Christmas, 2012 holiday. We wanted to stay in Manuel Antonio but couldn't find reasonably priced lodging. Beso del Viento was a great alternative for us just 30 minutes from Manuel Antonio. With our rental car and a GPS, we found the hotel within 30-45 minutes of a number of interesting sights and destinations.

This small, family run hotel is situated on an island just across a lightly used dirt road from what must be one of the world's last stretches of undeveloped beach. Not a soul on the beach for ten miles in either direction! We were warned that the surf was strong, but several guests - including a family with two young boys - spent time riding the waves and enjoying themselves. Mangroves fill the side of the island facing land resulting in us seeing a variety of interesting and entertaining wildlife. One morning we were visited by a family of white faced monkeys who swooped into the garden above us in a dramatic fashion, then spent twenty minutes or so scolding us before moving on. On the banks of the nearby Parrita river, crocodiles sun themselves, sloths ease their way down to the water's edge for a drink, and birds of every sort and temperament strut about.

The hotel consists of two buildings set in an attractive and well maintained tropical garden. The rooms are simple and kept spotless. We had two beds in our room. Our mattresses were firm and comfortable. No phones or televisions in the rooms, however, free wi-fi was available when we needed to check in with work. Guests typically brought their iPads and phones to the pool or verandah in the mornings and caught up with civilization over coffee and the continental breakfast that is served each morning. We found the pool an attractive and pleasant place to relax or take a dip after a long day of exploring the the sights. The water temperature of the pool was perfect.

Elisabeth and Bernard, aided by several workers, run a tight ship. They rarely stopped moving during the mornings. Lola the german shepherd and Max, the slinky black cat patrol the grounds and occasionally check in with the guests. Bernard and Elisabeth were always on hand to answer questions, provide suggestions, and if you were so inclined, a pleasant chat. They were never intrusive, however.

While we were there, the guests included several Canadians, French-Canadians - (Canada essentially invades Central America during the winter months it appears) - Europeans and of course a couple of Americans such as my partner and I. All pleasant and interesting persons.

As everyone else has stated, the star of the show is Bernard and his fabulous dinners. We were told each morning what he intended on cooking that evening. The "restaurant" itself is simple and unassuming -- I suppose we could have dined on the verandah had we asked. Elisabeth's announcements of the night's dinner were hilariously underplayed -- "red meat" meant filet mignon, "fish" meant freshly caught sea bass, and the "dessert" was always something decadent and dazzling. A french woman at the table in back of us gasped when a dessert was presented one evening - apparently a famous french treat consisting of eggs, cream and a bit of liquor topping a home made almond paste with tropical fruit on top of it all and the plate sizzled under a broiler for a moment. It was orgasmic - that's all I can say - I'm still dreaming about it. After returning to San Jose we chatted with a gentleman who knew of Elisabeth's and Bernard's hotel. He said they are quite famous in the area - and justly so.

The town of Parrita has a number of stores and some excellent restaurants that cater to the local population. A great choice for a reasonably priced lunch or dinner with a local vibe. I lost my phone charger and found a replacement in a tiny electronics shop.

If you want to escape and unwind, yet keep a toe hold on civilization via the internet, this is the spot for you.

We rented a car and GPS in San Jose and had no problems driving about the countryside. I recommend the GPS.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Bernard and Elisabeth are THE BEST hosts I have ever had the pleasure of staying with! They truly treat you like family. The hotel: Beso del Viento is located along a truly peaceful stretch of Costa Rican coast, outside the town of Parrita. The grounds are beautiful. The pool is clean and refreshing after a day in the mountains. Lola, the dog is friendly and greats everyone arriving. Max is a bit stand-offish, but then again, he is a cat.

My room was bright and clean with lots of windows open to hear the crashing waves. Bernard is a world-class chef who spends half the day preparing a wonderful French inspired dinner! I am vegetarian and he made me special non-meat dishes. My first night there, even my mouth was watering over the filet mignon he was preparing for the other guests. The presentation was fantastic!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Beso del Viento to everyone who wants to stay at a small hotel and be treated like family.

Thank you Bernard, Elisabeth, Lola and Max and all of the staff too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Once again I found time during my Costa Rica travels to stay here. I cannot imagine a trip with out the dinners here.

Service is excellent and you can really get away from it all.

This is my 6th stay and will come back again!

Room Tip: Please discuss with Elizabeth at the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed with our two kids for 2 days in El beso del viento. We should have planned to doend some more time there. It is like being at home. Elizabeth and Bernard are so nice and welcoming that you do not even feel like going out to visit Manuel Antonio Park. The hotel is extremely clean, well decorated, and cherry on top if you REALLY want to have a good dinner, stay there ! We planned to ear there just once but after tasting Bernard's cuisine we imediately booked for the next day.
The pool surrounded by palm tree was 33 celcius, just perfect for relaxing. Finally the location's good: many things to be done around
To be short: do not hesitate, go there.

• Stayed July 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is the 4th time we have stayed. Every time is is better. They continue to update the rooms and the gardens.

Bernard continues to come up with great new dinners. This is a "foodies dream" while staying at the beach.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar, but Elizabeth will let you look at the rooms. We like the rooms upstairs...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Beso del Viento? Share your experiences!