“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sri Gemunu Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Unawatuna
Sri Gemunu Beach Resort
You added Sri Gemunu Beach Resort to your Saves list
Unawatuna, Galle, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Unawatuna
Dublin
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed for 5 nights in August. After a few hectic weeks of touring, we loved the beach and, apart from a few strolls into the village and a trip one morning into Galle, we had everything we needed. Our complements to the staff - especially in the restaurant. If I were to change anything, I'd probably reconsider booking half board. We enjoyed eating in the restaurant but would have liked to sample some others in the village - I hadn't expected to see so many. I'd recommend this hotel and would stay there again should we ever be lucky enough to return to Sri Lanka

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Kadima
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at this stunning place! If it hadn't been off season we would likely have passed but the 9600 per night for a double room including breakfast and dinner seemed reasonab le to us---a great decision! Superb view, friendly staff, welcome drink, good showers and clean room....thinks to keep in mind: air conditioning is not always up to par, the owner has a gem shop inside and is very persistent at getting you into the store, but that is all small stuff because this is a great place. We used it to cap our 16 days on the road and it was a superb finale.

Room Tip: Not in Unawatuna but a few kilometers away- be prepared for some tuk tuk action
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at the Sri Gemunu in October 2004 for just over a month to start our trip around the Globe. It was truly magical. The staff were absolutely fantastic, who went above and beyond treating us like a king and queen, and the locals were amazing...I even had a ring made on site there. This was before the Tsunami of Dec 2004 and we were very upset and hoped it would still be there, and it is!!!! The place was lovely before and now seeing the latest pics it looks even more lovely, we now live in NZ from our home in the UK and know that when we return home we will definitely be returning and we are so pleased that Stri Gemunu is thriving. Sooo looking forward to the magical hospitality and the cleanliness, the serenity of this part of Unawatuna, and have recommended it to all and sundry! 5 stars just isn't enough! and now there's even a POOL!!!!! YIPPEEEEEE!

Room Tip: Ground floor is fab cos you're right across from the beach and you can watch the turtles surf...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at Sri Gemunu for 5 nights in August. It's a nice hotel, very clean, great staff, good food. The hotel is right on the beach. The beach is beautiful although the sea can have strong undercurrents at this time of year (Aug), but there is a very safe "lagoon" to swim in created by an off-shore reef. The hotel is not in the main part of Unawatuna, but about a mile away. So the beach is quieter and not as touristy as Unawatuna - which we preferred. The hotel owners are very helpful and they can arrange taxis and tuk-tuks. The staff were great. Don't expect a swish 5 star resort as you will be disappointed, but you wont be paying 5 star prices either! My children (aged 10, 8, 7 and 5) loved this place. The food was good, fresh fruit in the morning, toast, eggs, tea/coffee, juices. Dinner was sometimes a buffet, with good curries and some western dishes. The owner of the hotel also has a couple of bungalows / chalets that he rents about a 10 minute walk away (inland), there is a nice pool there that hotel guests can use.

All in all I would recommend Sri Gemunu very highly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Very friendly Front desk with a welcome drink. The whole complex is secluded from through road and in a quiet location so that the peacocks and at night the frogs in the open good to hear.
the bungalows are provided with featuring 4 rooms same style and are inclusive großräuming shower and toilet. Rooms are equipped with AC and ceiling fan. The separate restaurant at the view terrace is also well-developed.
staff friendly and when we had a wish is received.
food was class and versatile fresh.
very recommendable!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Sri Gemunu is well located by the beach, with some spectacular landscape (rocks, sand and waves are impressive). there is a close-by mini-lagoon so there it is safe for kids, but the beach is not very practicable during the summer. The staff is one of the key plus of the hotel, super friendly and efficient.

In the lowlights, I have to mention the rooms (very old, half-refurbished bathrooms, small and old beds, A/C not really tunable), the noise of the railway station (and the waves, but that's OK) and the distance to Galle. There is a really nice pool but it is a 15 min walk from the hotel (a first time in my life...). The wifi/internet did not work most of the time and that was really an issue for us, as we needed to access information.

Room Tip: Don't go to the top floor as it is noisy - there is a train line close to the hotel and the trai...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hrastnik Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I give 5 stars to everything in this hotel. Excellent location, food, great rooms and service. But there aren't enough stars to give to the people - the hotel staff, for their kindness, friendliness, hospitality and much more. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at the beginning of August after we had done the round tour of Sri Lanka. The day before the departure I badly injured my leg on the Unawatuna beach. The hotel staff did magnificent job and helped me go through the day. They immediately called the doctor, took me to hospital, arranged everything for me there and stayed with me all the time. Hereby I would like to THANK everyone for their help and extreme gentleness - the hotel owners, the staff, the doctors and nurses. I would like to express my very special gratitude to MRS PADMINI, the hotel manager for taking care of everything, for being with me, chatting with while we were waiting. She gave me enough strenght and positive energy to go through the painful experience. She is a very special, brilliant lady.
I thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Sri Lanka but what will always stay in my mind and my heart forever are the people!!!
I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to enjoy the scenery, great service, delicious food and the warmth of the people!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sri Gemunu Beach Resort? Share your experiences!