Thambapanni Retreat is a well-constructed hotel. The interior is very pretty with an attractive pool, open restaurant, and rooms that appear hidden behind foliage. It's closer toward the end of Unawatuna Beach which means that there is a lot of activity along the main road that leads there, but it manages to be a very peaceful property that isn't too quiet or loud.
Pros: We were warmly greeted and check-in was easy and quick. The security guards were especially helpful in guiding us to the parking garage with our vehicle which was a bit bigger than the average Sri Lankan SUV. The hotel has its own restaurant, and there are also several bars and other restaurants nearby. Our room was lovely - the king bed was in a four-poster style and had sheer netting all around, but didn't look tacky. The room was big and comfortable enough for two people spending a night. The bathroom was clean, modern and with a rain shower and a tub. The hotel is a short tuk-tuk ride from the center of Galle. *Don't pay more than 400 rupees into town.
Cons: The hotel and our room were almost perfect. But for realizing a few inconveniences, I would have rated 5 stars. Despite the room and bed looking really nice, we realized that the sheets were stained very badly. We returned to the hotel somewhat late after dinner, so we didn't bother alerting the staff. The sheets appeared clean, but as regular travelers, we are very particular about the cleanliness of anywhere that we stay. Also, the curtains on the windows are very sheer. While it didn't appear that anyone would be close enough to see into our windows, having curtains that weren't sheer would have provided better peace of mind. The window on the bathroom door is also quite large, so having a curtain on that would have been great as we each value our individual privacy.
Overall: Our stay in Galle and at Thambapanni remains a great memory for us. If we're ever in the area again, we'll consider staying at Thambapanni because it definitely looks to be one of the better hotels in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury boutique hotel with 16 rooms, surrounded by lush greenery and two minutes walk from the lovely Unawatuna Beach. All rooms are air conditioned, has en suite bathrooms with hot and cold water and mini bar. Some rooms over looking the sea or the the pool. The bungalows surrounded by many trees and view of the jungle. Most rooms have large balconies and on request a hammock will be included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your Thambapanni Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thambapanni Retreat Unawatuna
- Thambapanni Retreat Hotel Unawatuna