“Absolutely wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 90 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Absolutely wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I really enjoyed our 4 nights at Dunes. We felt sad when it was time for us to leave!

At Dunes Unawatuna, you don't feel like you're staying at a hotel. You feel like you're staying at a friends house! It's set back off the street, so it is rather quiet and secluded, but a 2 minute walk brings you to the beach. The building is new, clean, and very stylish. I really felt like I should be paying more! The surroundings are a work in progress, but lovely nonetheless. I know in no time the pond area will be just amazing. The morning we left, the pond was being expanded, and two days before that, they had adopted three ducks! This is a really wonderful place to sit back on the patio or balcony, and appreciate the nature around you. We saw so many interesting birds, squirrels, mongooses (mongeese?) and teeny tiny froglets.
The building is somewhat open at the ceiling, which at first I thought would mean our room would be full of creepy things. Not the case! It ended up being a very cool temperature, even with just a fan, and we didn't have any more "visitors" than any of the other hotels we stayed in in SL.

Unawatuna was our favorite place in SL, and part of that is thanks to Dunes. We had a terrible time in Negombo when we first arrived, but our stay here showed us how great SL can be. We will definitely be back! I am really excited to see how the place grows, and I hope the room rates don't grow too much either ;)

Thanks for an amazing stay!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I spent 10 at Dunes in mid January, I was due to only stay one night but loved it so much that I kept extending!

The first thing that strikes you about Dunes is the decor and how well the place has done, for the price it is a real find, It felt like a boutique hotel but not a boutique hotel prices! The second is how welcoming and friendly Gayan the owner is, he makes you feel at home and really goes the extra mile in making your stay comfortable.

The other great aspect of the hotel is where it is set, it is only a short walk to the beach but is in tropical surroundings, with monkeys playing in the trees and birds fishing in the pond outside, it make you feel like you are staying in a private oasis, but is right in the centre of Unawatuna.

I would recommend this hotel for families, couples and singles travelling. It feels like Gayan has opened his home to everyone to come relax and enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We pop into Jina's restaurant for lunch and whilst we were there inquired about some where to stay. They point out a place just across the road.

Dunes is brand new and at first I thought it was going to be out of our price range. But what a find it turned out to be and I can only echo the comments here; neat, clean, comfortable and lovely friendly staff.

We absolutely loved the place and would certainly recommend it to friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stumbled a upon this property when it was brand spanking new in January 2013, fell in love with the location and the fact that it was very private. Dunes is very peaceful since it's away from the main road and poised perfectly to give its guest the right amount of privacy. The rooms are specious with the amazing beds and clean toilets. It's the ideal getaway for any traveller looking for a good night sleep at a reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

A friend of mine recommended this place to me and he was right about it. Initially just wanted to spend a couple of nights, but ended up spending more days as I loved it. It has a great atmosphere, spotless, cosy rooms and a beautiful garden where you can spot some wildlife (e.g birds, monkeys and mongoose). Besides that the hotel is very close to the beach and the action, but in a really quiet location. Gayan and the staff were always very friendly and gave helpful advice and organized great tours for good value (e.g. whale watching). They serve good breakfast (fresh fruit, buffalo yoghurt, string hoppers) and even organized a barbecue with local fish for the guests. I highly recommend this place - it is great to relax and I definitely gonna be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is newly opened and makes a lovely place to stay if you want to close to the beach but in a peaceful setting. The building itself is beautifully designed within a private garden which ensures it remains enclosed away from the hustle and bustle of the nearby beach and shops. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and have good quality furnishings.Very friendly but proffessional service is provided by Gayan the owner. Will definately be staying here again !

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful I found it hard to choose, so perhaps discuss your preference with the m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

A wonderful and quiet place with a very smart owner - thanks for everything Gayan !
What else can I say: It was hard to leave such a nice place - the perfect combination of good value and friendliness, cleanliness and proximity to the beach. Watching all kinds of birds, monkeys, mongoose and marten, big and small lizards from your hammock (which will be pretty soon in every room - cause Gayan fell in love with my mexican hammock).
I definitely will come back !
The website is worth a visit:https://www.facebook.com/dunesuna

Room Tip: The Bungalow in the back
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dunes Unawatuna Hotel? Share your experiences!