“friendly staff and professional handling” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pearl Divers

Pearl Divers
Riddem | Peellagoda, Unawatuna, Galle, Sri Lanka (Formerly Padi Resort & Water Sports Centre)
94 91 22 42015
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 15 Activities in Unawatuna
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Unawatunas friendliest, most professional & fully equipped diving center. We have recently opened our authorized PADI Resort S-23613 and have re branded to Pearl Divers so come and have a look at out new Pearl Divers website. Our team of ex navy and international dive instructors are waiting to greet you with big smiles and lots of great dive sites to visit.
21 attraction reviews
“friendly staff and professional handling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

By now there are several dive centres in Unawatuna. Some of them of smaller size. Pearl divers is one of the two more established and bigger ones. Both of them are situated next to each other on the eastern side of the bay. I had contact with both of them before I arrived and the night I came it happened that Pearl divers office was still open. So I walked in. I had a good first impression and as the prices are cheaper than the competition I decided to dive with them. Finally I went diving on three executive days. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. The level of service was excellent. I assume also because of the competition so close. The dive centre is large and has bathrooms, showers, a bar, several offices and you can walk straight to one of their many boats. You dont have to carry your gear yourself. I prefer to set up my equipment myself. I had my own equipment but what I have seen from the other divers there was no complain regarding the dive centres gear. I could also witness how much care the instructors took to make a nervous russian couple feel comfortable for their dive. Several students did their Open Water Padi course during these days. There is (somewhere) a swimming pool for the initial trainings. There are plenty of dive spots in the area (the quality of which I dont want to comment as I am spoiled by the Red Sea and it is something the dive centres can't influence ;) all dive the same spots int his area. I liked the ship wrecks (close to Galle) the most). The briefing provided was always good. Most important hand signs were explained each time. And after the dives complimentary tea is offered. I felt so secure about the place that I always left my equipment there over night for the next days dives. One remark (to all dive centres): Divers should be encouraged to perform each time a buddy check in form of the BWRAF formula. I find it very inconvenient to team up with someone and not having performed that security check. Final conclusion: I can highly recommend Pearl Divers.

Visited February 2014

Manchester
“Friendly Dive place..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

From the moment we walked in, we were greeted by friendly staff and made to feel very welcome. My husband is a Dive instructor so we were keen to try the diving in Sri Lanka as this was our first visit to this beautiful country. We did 4 dives with Pearl Divers on 2 consecutive days. The first day of diving the visibility was pretty poor but once we got down to Ragoon Wreck it did improve and it was an enjoyable dive. Day 2 was much better for visibility and both dives were great around the boulders and swim throughs. The Instructors were attentive, funny and gave good customer service throughout the day. The dive sites are between 10 and 30 minutes away from the Dive centre so really convenient to pop back for surface interval. We would have loved to have explored more dive sites but we were coming to the end of our holiday and had to travel back up to Colombo. I'd recommend anyone to dive with Pearl Divers from beginner to experienced due to the service we received. We saw many students been taught when we were there, we weren't taken out with students, only experienced divers so got the best out of the dives we did.

Barcelona, Spain
“Good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I booked my 4 boys in to do a PADI course. The start was not good. I was promised that they would be collected but on the morning of collection, we received a call to say that we should make our own way there. A bad start.
The equipment was good and the instruction also good - Thomasz was the instructor and the feedback was good.
The boys were proficient by the end - I dived with them after qualification and they knew their way around the equipment and were comfortable in the water.
So apart from that start, the service and experience was good.
The visibility in the area did not seem to be that good but the sealife was passable.

Visited December 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Horrible dive sites”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We booked this dive centre through our driver who must have some arrangement with them. Unlike other dive centre, this dive centre did not arrange to pick us up from the hotel. Our driver send his own guy to drive us there( which is 10 mins from our hotel).
Two of us were charged USD140 (slightly higher than the website advertised rates of 45euros for 2 tank boat dive with full equipment rental) but we didn't bother negotiate.
The dive master though polite and nice picked two horrible sites. Much like one of the reviewer here commented, visibility was bad and we saw nothing more than rocks and a school of small fishes and the occasional larger puffer fish. Very disappointing. Which leads me to advocate that diving should be closed in January or during seasons with such conditions. Yes - try not to dive in January!!!

Visited January 2014
Ringsroundtheworld, Guest Relations Manager at Pearl Divers, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Good E ,

Many thanks for your review , we would have loved to have heard this on the day as we could have hopefully rectified the issues at hand . With regard to the rates , you should have paid €50.00 for 2 dives . If you book and pay through the internet it is €45.00 for 2 dives . Please can you email your contact details to info@pearldivers.lk so that we can check our records . We will need to know your booking name and date of dive . If you have been overcharged we are happy to issue a refund of the difference . With regard to the dive conditions , we cannot confirm what the visibilty is on any one day and normally mid December to mid April conditions are at their best here in Unawatuna .
Looking forward to your reply .
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

After speaking with most diving stores in unawatuna, I decided to do one dive with pearl divers. Their service, safety standards and gear seemed superior. However after going for my dive today, I have to say I am quite disappointed. Firstly they put me in a group with two divers who have never dived before. Secondly the dive sites were terrible. They were about a 5 minute boat ride from the store and the shore of unawatuna beach. We hardly saw anything except rocks. The wreck was hardly a wreck, more a sunken small fishing boat. There were hardly any fish and when there were the instructor just swam the group straight passed them. There was very little communication underwater. If you do go diving with pearl divers, make sure they take you to a site that is good and far from the shore.

Hi ,
Please excuse that I cannot use your name as we don't recognise your trip advisor profile number against our records . We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your dive with us . As we are dedicated to providing the best diving experience in Unawatuna , can you please send me an email to info@pearldivers.lk as we need to find out who was your dive master and why you seem to have been grouped with first time divers . If you are still in Unawatuna and would like to come on a complimentary dive with us , we would be very happy to arrange this . Visibility is not always good as it depends on weather conditions which we unfortunately do not have any control over . Please get back to us so that we can ensure this does not happen again . If you have already left Sri Lanka and plan to revisit , please do not hesitate to come for your complimentary dive at a later date .
Hope to see you again ,