“Great Dives” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 15 Activities in Unawatuna
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The official page for UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE, PADI 5 Star Dive Resort, Unawatuna and Sri Lanka's premier PADI Resort, S-36133, and your gateway to the excitement and adventure of the underwater world! UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE is a fully aoutorized PADI 5 Star Dive Resort located on beautiful Unawatuna Beach, in the Indian Ocean. German ownership, European managed, we conduct all levels of PADI courses from DSD through to Divemaster Level and also run snorkel tours.We teach in English and German.As the longest running and most established Diving Centre in the region we offer quality diving courses where safety and PADI standards are always paramount. We also offer fantastic accommodation or very close by at our ROCKSIDE CABANAS HOTEL & RESTAURANT. With friendly and professional staff, UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE guarantees you the best time both in and out of the water. At our centre we have a secure private equipment room for divers with their own equipment. All our rental equipment is new, with Scuba Pro regulators and Scuba Pro BCDs that are regularly maintained. Our tanks are filled onsite by trained staff using our Bauer compressor in a clean and designated room wit a well maintained filter system. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff who are always happy to help and answer any questions and our renewed and insured PADI Divemasters and Instructors. With over 16 dive sites all accessible within 20 minutes on one of our five dive boats and with depths ranging from 5m to 30m our beach front dive centre is the place to head to further your education or see the wonders of the underwater world for the first time.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
26 attraction reviews
“Great Dives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

if you are interested in underwater life !! this is the place to visit, more than 18 dive site in a small area totally different from each other, different views and under water attractions. It was my main activity fro the stay

the strong current is the only problem but you will enjoy it

Visited December 2013

• Hungarian first
Baghdad, Iraq
6 attraction reviews
“Cheap diving Galle,Sri Lanka”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Situated right on the Unawatuna beach,Galle.Sri Lanka,extremely cheap to hire scuba gear and tuition if required.. Beautiful surroundings and the water is like bath water lovely and warm.Lots of sealife to see including Blue whales,turtles and beautifully coloured fish..There are numerous bars and restaurants on the beach with jet ski hire etc

Visited September 2013
Horsham, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
“Excellent dive center.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I took a while to decide which diving center I would go with in Unawatuna but after walking around and realising the only two centres which are actually listed on the PADI website are this one and Pearl divers which is next door, that narrowed the search. The prices are slightly higher at both of these dive centres but there again they are ACTUAL and PROFESSIONAL diving centres. After a little more digging and querying the fact that 'Pearl divers' (next door) used to be Unawatuna Dive Center and opposed to 'Unawatuna Diving Center' I found out that the owner of 'Pearl divers' used to work at Unawatuna Diving Center and tried to stab his close friend in the back by stealing all the gear etc and opened up a store next door. I'm sure the diving/guides are great there but I don't agree with that. I don't normally take to trip advisor to slag off other companies but I don't mind in this case. Obviously it's still up to you who you would rather go with, prices are pretty much equal and like i said, I'm sure both offer great guides and diving, although, a further point to make, I'm reliably informed that none of the guides at 'Pearl Divers' are even Divemasters. As a Divemaster myself, this isn't be an issue. But I'm sure for a less-experienced diver would feel otherwise.

Anyway - Hans and his crew are very good. I very much enjoyed my diving with them. I can't speak for the quality of the courses but I didn't see any reason to be alarmed. I did 8 dives overall. The 'reefs' are not anything to rave about but theres still some good life to see and the visibility was around 5-10 meters. The better dives were the wreck dives of which I think ' SS Rangoon' offers the best dive. Its at roughly 30m and you can spend about 30 minutes down on it. It will always remain in my head as I had about 20 minutes with a whale shark on the way back up! Unforgettable.

Overall - This center is very well run. Very professional, good gear, pleasant staff and of course know the best places to find sea life and in my opinion, the only center to dive with in Unawatuna!

Thank you very much Hans. Hope to see you again, but this time over in Nilaveli!

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
“Make sure you only dive here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I've dived in many places around the world and these guys have a great set up, highly professional, organised, good kit and really know what they're doing. The diving was good and it's always good to know you're in capable hands. There are a few companies along the stretch who have no qualified dive masters or instructors so I would highly advise these guys as the only ones to consider.

Visited February 2014
10 attraction reviews
“Professional and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We took the PADI Open water here. Hans and his crew is very professional and we felt safe the whole time. The atmosphere is relaxed and we can only send our best recommendations.