“This is not listed as padi dive shop friendly but bad equipment ” 2 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports
Attraction Details
Maastricht, The Netherlands
6 attraction reviews
“This is not listed as padi dive shop friendly but bad equipment ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Shirley was friendly and it was maybe cheaper but their equipment altimeter and BCD were not working. When we complained about, he just gave blame to manual altimeter and to us. As dive shop you should have good working equipment. If you want padi course look first to padi website and find 5* dive shop for your own safety.

Darlington, United Kingdom
“Great Diving Centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very friendly diving centre, less busy than those at the other end of Unawatuna. Diving was much better than I thought it would be and was very good value. Give it a go!!!

Visited March 2013
Varanasi, India
40 attraction reviews
“The best and friendliest diving center in Unawatuna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My better half and I have arrived at Unawatuna beginning of June. So it was well off season for diving what was one of the main activities I wanted to do while visiting Sri Lanka, furthermore I wanted to get my Open Water Certification. Many locals have advised that this was now not possible etc, but after a nice stroll on the beach to the very east corner right before the pagoda temple I have med Shirley - the most helpful and experienced diving instructor.
The whole team has made it all possible and after successful training and dives I am now a certified open water diver. The visibility was not as good as you'd expect, but learning the hard way was even better experience and will definitely count towards my future diving experience. As it was off season I was one on one with the diving instructor all the time, took me to some really beautiful underwater places where we saw many beautiful and large coral fish, visited a ship wreck as well. All in all it was a fantastic experience and I would highly recommend Shirley and his team to any diving enthusiast. It's the only diving center run by local people, the other two are overseas investors owned so the atmosphere is slightly different. Shirley has 22 year experience in diving and by now has done more than 7000 dives. Losing his brother and father (who also was a diving instructor) and having all his home and diving shop taken away by tsunami in 2004 you won't see a fancy diving shop on the beach, but look a little deeper and you will have yourself the best experience and memories for many years to come. The certification celebration party on the beach was great as well..:)

Visited June 2013
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Great Diving Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went to negombo and found submarine diving school while strolling along the beach. We had a wonderful dive experience including visiting the ship wrecls and the guides were friendly and helpful.

I accidentally left my dive card at the dive center and Kosala was very nice and helpful to mail it back to me in singapore.

Visited January 2013
London
“The best and friendlier diving centre!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I chose Submarine Diving School over the others in Unawatuna after looking at the website and reading the poignant story over the Tsunami loss; I could not have made a better choice!

Shirly is a very competent and friendly instructor who runs an extremely efficient diving centre, you just ask him something, he shouts orders in Sinhalese to his crew, and by magic everything happens just the way you like! Everything is possible: morning dives, extra dives, night dives, out of hours dives, just ask and it will be accommodated. They are flexible enough with 3 boats and 2 divemasters on top of Shirly, and they always aim to have a small group with each divemaster to make the diving experience more enjoyable.

I had my own equipment and everything was always washed and tidied away, and awaited for me at each new dive, I never had to do a thing, or lift a tank, which I rather like.
I have never found a friendlier centre where I felt completely cared for and safe. All the divemasters, Visni, Wasant, and Shirly, are extremely competent and kind, pointing out all there is to see underwater but always checking on your air and how you felt. I was also lucky enough to be alone with the divemasters on a few dives, which makes for a very special experience. I did 11 dives there during my holiday and every time it was different in a variety of locations, the visibility not always the best because of the large amount of plankton, but I saw some enormous potato groupers and murray eels, on top of the usual suspects and some lovely black corals.

I can say with no hesitation that this is the best diving centre I’ve ever found not even rivalled by the larger ones in the Red Sea, or in Italy or the Caribbean, and I love the fact that is owned, managed and run by locals who truly love their Ocean and diving.

I really hope to go back to Sri Lanka in the not too distant future and I’ll certainly go diving here again.

Oh yes, and if you are lucky enough to get invited to a beach barbecue don’t miss the opportunity, it was fabulous! Fresh local fish plus salads, lovely music and nice company, certainly the best evening I had during my stay.

Visited December 2012