“Most un-forgettable holiday to date” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers

Save Saved
You added Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers to your Saves list
Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Grand Baie, Pointe aux Canonniers, Mauritius   |
“Most un-forgettable holiday to date”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Club Med knows exactly what service is and values their clients that stay with them. Every need is attended to promptly with a smile and a friendly nature. If for whatever reason you are you are unsatisfied they do their best to make sure that they make it up to you.

They thoroughly entertain you and keep you busy morning to night, there is honestly never a dull moment! But also plenty of time to relax! They are convient and offer many excursions and travel so one can explore Mauritius aswell. The music and dancing goes on till late in the night and all the staff stay happy and joyful, but if your not one for staying up the rooms are peaceful and you can get a fantastic nights rest.

Their entertainment goes as far out as teen clubs, kids clubs and so forth. I was part of the teens club led by Silver, he was an exceptional guy making sure you enjoy every moment of not only your stay but of life! He was always encouraging the group to go out and do things that wouldn't usually be done. An employee club med is privileged to have. He defenitly goes out of his way to make every one feel welcome and included with his crazy ideas and Mission Impossibles.

Their facilities are fantastic with a beautiful spa, library, gym and tennis courts. Everything works and is in its place. As for the food and restruants, defenitly top class offering variety, quantity and most defenitly quality! They do their best to cater for everyone's individual needs.

The activities such as snorkeling, diving, water skiing, tubing are all offered and safe as can be, activities provided by the club are covered by insurance, special thanks to Trishi, Riaz and Sebastian who always kept you smiling and made snorkeling more than just some activity. They have a wonderful infermerie on sight and access to ambulances 24/7. During the stay my mom got some flu, she went to the infermerie and within half and hour medication was waiting for her at reception.

I have only good things to say about the resort, the chief of the village-Karim-runs the resort smoothly and does a fantastic job with passion and enthusiasim. He does his best to encourage the staff and be just as involved as they are making you feel right at home. Just like every other staff member there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

839 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Kempton Park, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Club Med does not know what service is. The only two people in the resort that I can comment on with good service was our cleaner in the room and a guy from maintenance. The dining room was usually full by the time we went for dinner and tables was sitting there with dirty plates, glasses and tablecloths - NO cleaning promptly for new guests that came for dinner after others already left. My husband actually shouted at some of the waiters one evening as they just stood there while we couldn't find an empty clean table. Baby seats were not cleaned after using them and we ended up putting our little girl on a normal chair on more than one occasion.

Secondly - English is not high on the priority list for everybody at Club Med. I know that French are one of their official languages in Mauritius, but English speaking guests are treated like second grade guests. In the laundry there are not even English on the information boards - ALL in French. All activities was in French, all GO's speaks French and their English is not fully understandable. I was transferred twice when I phoned reception from my room to somebody that can understand and help me in English - how can you have receptionists that does not understand English? I would just like to know - does French speaking guests pay more? Information or whatever was written in French on tables in the dining room - we didn't know what it was and whether the tables were reserved or what - that was the same night we couldn't find clean, open seats in the dining room. The Australian met co-guests also complained about the fact that they do not get addressed in English and that they also feel like second grade guests.

Thirdly we all got sick. Sick as in vomiting and diaree - sorry to be so direct, but this is it. I spoke to all the other South-African couples there, and at least one of the couple also got sick. I had numerous conversation with Australian guests that were also sick. When I visited the doctor (which could not understand a word of English) I saw on the page the nurse wrote my details, that there was about 6 or more patients before me on the list with the same diagnosis. It was so bad that I needed to call the local clinic doctor to treat my baby at 12 at night. I requested a late check-out for the day of our departure (Sunday) which I was denied after I told the lady at reception that my child was sick since Thursday (the day the doctor needed to come out for her) - she was NOT understanding nor friendly or helpful - plain VERY rude. My child was so sick that she vomited on the transfer bus to the airport. I took her so see a doctor in Pretoria on Monday and she was admitted in hospital on the Tuesday after we returned home - this is to explain how sick she was and we needed to be out of our room by 10 and wait for our transfer by 13:00 somewhere in the resort. My husband and I was also very sick - we also visited the doctor on Monday and was given antibiotics. After I complained about the fact that we needed to be out of our room, the guy from maintenance arranged for us that we can stay in our room until 12:00 on the day of departure. He would be an excellent GO - he can even speak English!!

Then, when we were so sick we phoned the travel agent - at Pentravel East Rand Mall - to come home early and she said that we needed to go to the transport desk at the hotel to be assisted - well the guy at the transport desk said that he could not help us as it is Saturday and all offices of SAA are closed. So, we needed to stay. NO help from Club Med at all. Nicola from the travel agency also said that due to the fact that it is Saturday, she could also not get Club Med in South Africa to help us. Club Med was then also supposed to help us regarding costs involved for the change of travel details with the Club med Travel insurance.

In the laundry one of the washing machines was not working. No note to say out of order, no fixing and no taking the machine out of the laundry. Only leaving it there so that one can put your dirty clothes in the machine, with detergent and only then finding out it is not working.

Please note on the photos how disgustingly dirty the baby bottle sterilizer and the base of the dry rack is - need I say more than what the photos already do????? This is in the baby room, so now I ask, is this not why my baby got so sick? If the things we can see is so dirty, how dirty is the things we cannot see????

Lastly, the fact that my shower did not drain at all. After one of us had a shower, the other one needed to wait for at least an hour before he/she could shower. I have reported it to housekeeping first on Monday and then on Tuesday evening to reception, then on Wednesday night at reception and then on Thursday night to reception. The people at reception on Tuesday and Wednesday evening only jot it down on a piece of paper, it was only reported on the system on Thursday evening. The guy at maintenance said that the room needed to be booked for maintenance after we have moved out, but as per the people from reception, we needed to be out by 10 on Sunday for the new people that needed to come in. (Into a room of which is shower was not draining - as per the attached photos). There was no other offers to make it better for us, only maintenance that needed to fix the shower, but the problem was bigger than just a quick fix. Just to mention, my baby also needed to be bathed, so there was even more 'waiting time' for the shower!!!!

I don't know whether the above sounds like a four star resort to you? NOT AT ALL!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

There are only positives about this hotel! We were 2 adults and 2 kids and there was something for everyone. Food was spectacular! Drinks! Entertainment etc. We are going back next year. The kids loved the kids club. We snorkeled right by the hotel. Grand bake is nice for a morning shopping! Everyone is so friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife is a club med vet, this was my first time. She tried to tell me about the exceptional service, the attention from the G.O's and the food, but her wonderful descriptions fell short of my excellent experience.
This Club Med is on the north point of the island which has the best weather. It sits on a long stretch of white sand beach. It has marvelous views of the very attractive mountain range of Mauritius.
A wide range of food, salads and deserts were all exceptional.
The room had an ocean view, a hundred meters from the beach.
My wife had an unfortunate fall and needed an overnight in the Port Louis hospital. We had made the correct decision to buy Club Med's travel insurance package and we paid nothing for ex-rays and a cat scan. The hospital was right on the beach and they treated us like royalty. When we got back to the club, the follow-up was warm and genuinely heart-fealt.
One more thing, the bar makes a darn good Bloody Mary, I had about ten a day.
GO!

• Stayed November 2012
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Lovely resort. Almost and hours drive from the airport but well worth it. Well situated and right on the breathtaking beach. Definitely a child friendly hotel. Have every sport/water sports available that you can think of. Staff are very helpful and very friendly. Very popular amongst the French speaking people.

Room Tip: If you're travelling without children, make sure you're on the far side of the hotel and awa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

On reading the reviews from this site I was still a bit uncertain wether the resort would cater for my family's needs especially my 8 month old baby. I was not disappointed, from the first day we arrived to the moment we left there was not one request that the staff were not willing to help with. I was constantly amazed at the level of service and this made me very happy! If you are reading this and not sure about baby food etc. you can rest assured that there were jars of food available as well as fresh food served at lunch and dinner tme which could be liquidised. Yoghurt and fresh fruit are also available. There are also plenty of push chairs / prams available however i found that taking my own helped alot at the airports. Airport officials noticed us as well and pulled us out of queues to serve us first. We were a bit apprehensive to make use of the baby and petite club but after a few days we decided to give it a try so my hubby and I could have a bit of a holiday too. We were very happy with the care our children received and my 3 year old asked to go back the next day. It is a bit pricey but well worth it! What an amazing place, wished we had spent an extra week there so we could do a bit more site seeing and get to enjoy some of the amazing activities on offer at the resort.

• Stayed October 2012
Joondalup, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our family of six, recently spent 10 days at Le Cannonier Hotel in Mauritius. The welcome was great, the rooms comfortable & clean, staff most polite. The disappointment came in the dining room. A great variety was provided, but all hot food was consistently cold, as were the plates - I ate salads for 10 days. There was no provision made for children aged 2-4 for their evening meal to be made available earlier than 6.30pm, by which time they children were too exhausted to eat.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are pleasant, the higher floors would be far more comfortable as you could l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers? Share your experiences!