“The best two days of our trip to Alaska” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hideaway Cove Wilderness Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kachemak Bay State Park
Hideaway Cove Wilderness Lodge
You added Hideaway Cove Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
4416 Mariner Dr, Kachemak Bay State Park, AK 99603   |
Bonita, California
“The best two days of our trip to Alaska”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

It is truly hidden in Halibut Cove. The comfortable cabins cannot be seen from the water till you are right in front of them. Surrounded completely by nature(It's inside a State Park). Wildlife all around. Hiking trails immediately accessible from the lodge. Hike to a glacier, kayak in a lake and in the cove, hike to a valley and cross over the river by hanging basket. All the while learning about the flora and the fauna from an experienced guide. Jordan (J.J.) will also teach you a bit about Alaskan history. Comfortable cabins, great food (make sure to request the blueberry pancakes for breakfast). The views from the lodge are amazing. The yurt and its deck are perfect to exchange stories and experiences with other guest. The sauna is welcomed after a day of hiking. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Everything is a short walking distance from your cabin, but the cabins towards the back have their o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My sister and I spent 5 nights at Hideaway Cove and had an amazing time in July 2013. This was our first time in Alaska. We're both young (I'm 24, she's 21), athletic, love the outdoors, and this lodge was the perfect spot. The lodge is located on a little point within a cove of Kachemak Bay, right on the water: perfect location near the ocean, but also slightly tucked away from the main bay, thus protecting the area from winds and tidal swells. Having the ocean right there was awesome. The lodge has a boat dock with the lodge's motorboat (for shuttling to and from Homer, as well as other local destinations) and a few kayaks, so getting in the kayaks to paddle over to nearby Halibut Cove was easy. Even though the water was cold, we also enjoyed jumping in the ocean every day after hiking/kayaking, which felt great.

The lodge itself is quite small: I think about 6-7 cabins with a total capacity of about 15 people. The cabins have plenty of space between them for privacy and quiet, and the cabins themselves are really nice. We really enjoyed how small the lodge was and how intimate the whole experience was.

The lodge is run by an awesome family, which is one of the best parts of staying there. The lodge manager/guide is Jordan, and he runs most of the daily hiking/kayaking excursions and does almost all of the cooking for guests. (Most of our dinners were halibut or salmon that he had caught right there in the cove-- delicious.) He's energetic, adventurous, very experienced in the outdoors, and super competent as a guide. He's also friendly, enthusiastic, and we had a blast with him each day. His wife and 6 sons (all between ages 3-15) also live in a house on the lodge property, and they were also really nice and helpful. The family has their own spot at the lodge and generally stays over there, but they're easy to get a hold of if you need assistance, and the boys were all really fun and helpful. They're also great ping pong players and always seem down for games, if you're up for that. I really liked the fact that the lodge is run by this family-- they're incredibly nice, down to earth, helpful, and you sort of feel like you're a guest at someone's home, in the best way possible.

I spent every day hiking, kayaking, or exploring the interesting community of nearby Halibut Cove. However long you stay, there's tons to do and see. There are trails that leave straight from the lodge that connect into a network of trails in the mountains just above the lodge, so it's very convenient.

Overall, I loved this lodge and would definitely go back and recommend it to anyone who enjoys the outdoors.

Room Tip: Some cabins are near the ocean while others are a little further up on the hillside amidst the trees...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you are seeking an Alaska wilderness adventure without all the risks, with a level of comfort yet the feeling you are roughing it for you, Hideaway Cove Lodge will be a wonderful discovery. My best friend and I, both of us females in our 50's, booked an early September 2012 adventure at Hideaway Cove for 4 days. We flew from the east coast to Anchorage then on ERA to Homer. From the airport we took a cab to the Homer Spit to await our boat taxi to the lodge. Our host and guide, Captain JJ (Jordan), who is a biologist, was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and amazing at everything he did from cooking to ensuring his guests safety. Words cannot explain the beauty and awe of all you encounter from the mountains, to the smallest plant, to my experience of JJ racing to bring us to see a bear on the beach below.

The cabin was warm with a propane fireplace and propane hot water for shower and sink. Just sitting on the front porch of the cabin you can look up to see eagles soaring. The Fireweed was blooming a magnificent red and JJ said the first snow would be in 6 weeks. Firefox bloomed purple and it was heavyon the path outside the cabin going up to the observatory. From the observatory you can see miles and miles over the cove and down to the beach. The yurt serves well as the main hang out. The deck outside is a wonderful place to just sit and watch the wildlife and the ever changing mountains while enjoying a meal.

The weather in early September was great, from 44 to 73 during the day. We were blessed with mostly sun and one big storm which was awesome! Hiking to the glacier was a challenge for me, but JJ was patient and as we hiked he stopped telling the history of Halibut Cove and Alaska, as well as pointing out plants and animal trails. First site of the glacier was breathtaking something I will remember and cherish the rest of my life. Due to a 40 year storm coming, we were not able to sea kayak there as scheduled.

Wildlife was on my mind the next day, and Captain JJ took us onboard his boat for an amazing tour up Halibut Cove to Gull Island where we spotted a Tufted Puffin, seals on a sand bar, eagles, so much more wildlife and such scenery everywhere you look! We did go sea kayaking and I must say when the winds increased, JJ knew immediately my friend and I were not comfortable, so he led us to a beach near the lodge to explore while he took the more experienced kayakers across the cove. His safety record for visitors is untarnished! It was a wonderful experience and I was thankful Captain JJ knew our limits better than we did. We even got a picture of a wolverine on the beach!

I recommend Hideaway Cove. I don’t think I ever stopped smiling. Don’t bring too much luggage, we brought way too much. No hair dryers please. You can charge your phone and small electronics in the yurt. Internet is available there also. When I left, I felt that I was refreshed and that I had a true Alaskan adventure! I still miss the beauty and wonder, the people of Alaska and I would love to one day return to Hideaway Cove Lodge and be led on my wilderness adventure by Captain JJ once again!

Room Tip: Don't bring much luggage. Dress in layers. You will eat great so bringing a bunch of snacks is n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a great visit at Hideaway Cove in late June, 2012. The lodge is located in an amazingly beautiful place along the coast of an area that is completely wild. The very comfortable cabins look out directly over Katchemak Bay and snow-capped peaks. There are hiking trails right from the cabins that lead into the surrounding wilderness including Graywingk Lake, a beautiful long beach, and a river that you take a trolley across (hard and fun!). Jordon helped us rent a kayak from a local friend and we used that all week exploring the surrounding coves. Jordon and his wife, 5 sons and other staff were really lovely kind and fun people. Jordon is a great tour leader and cook. Organization is the weak point in the staff, so I took away one star. Not bad enough to miss this place though. Go there!!!

Room Tip: All cabins looked the same--all great. I liked the cabins directly on the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

My family, parents and 2 teenage boys, spent 3 days at Hideaway Cove with Jordan (JJ) and still talk about it! We loved the glacier hike and kayaking; we adored the peace and quiet and views. The food was amazing, as were the small comfortable cabins. One day my son and husband went halibut fishing from Homer, and we sent home 45 pounds of halibut fillets! A great way to remember the awesome vacation. We saw many bears.... on the beaches, a mama and cubs on the glacier hike. Otters and eagles followed us around. This was the best part of our 2 week trip to Alaska. Forget Homer and the spit. Take the boat across Halibut Cove and you'll be in heaven. We plan on returning.

Room Tip: Parents stayed in cabin with bathrooms; kids used bathroom/shower house. both worked out well.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I can't add much to the description of the place by anya77. We visited in September and salmon season was over in this area. We also did a 3 day visit with similar activities - we hiked to and from the Gerwingk Glacier-fed lake and kayaked the lake. We saw a lot of evidence of bears, but no actual bears - which is not a bad thing in this remote area where one could easily have a too close encounter with one. We saw plenty of eagles, sea-otters and tidal-zone wildlife while kayaking the bay including some amazing sea-stars and lion's mane jellies. . We stayed in one of two cabins that had a bathroom - cabins overlooking the water have a fantastic view but the toilet and shower are a few yards walk away. The cabins have no electricity and are heated with a propane stove - not quite camping, but not exactly a modern hotel either so know before you go what you are getting. My wife was a bit hesitant about Hideaway - but loved it once we got there. We stayed at Hideaway very early in our 3 week tour of south-central AK and it was one of the highlights of our trip. JJ's family had already headed south for the season so we were taken care of by JJ and his visiting brother who both did a great job.
We had very good weather for 2 of the 3 days we were at Hideaway, but be aware that it rains a lot in the Kenai Peninsula. The day before and the day after our Hideaway Cove trip we spent in Homer and it absolutely poured both days. Go prepared for rain.

Room Tip: Lakefront cabins have outstand views - but no bathroom (shower and toilet are 25-50 yards away). Ca...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We visited in May just before the start of the tourist season. You get to the lodge by water taxi from Homer. From the water's edge, you need to climb a uphill on a short rocky path to get to the lodge.The lodge consists of a number of cabin, a yurt where meals are served and an observatory. The owners' home is next to the yurt. You are literally in the wilderness and there's nothing else around. The cabins were basic but comfortable. There was a queen sized bed with a heater and a rocking chair in the room. Our cabin had an attached bathroom with shower and toilet but the cabins overlooking the water are not ensuite. The cabin had a porch with a wooden swing. The food was excellent. We took a 3-day package. The first day we took a sea plane to a glacier lake where we canoed and had lunch followed by a hike back to the lodge. The next day we canoed around Hideaway Cove and saw a number of black bears. It seems to rain a lot in this area but even then the scenery was spectacular. The hosts Jordan and Jennie Hess as well as their young sons are a wonderful family. The boys brought us to see a sea cave, their tree house and beach-combing. If I were to visit again, I would go later in the season to catch the salmon season and the brown bears. I would recommend this place for the gorgeous scenery and the wonderful hosts.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hideaway Cove Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!