“Made to feel intrusive” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast

Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cromwell
Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast
You added Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
14 Donegal Street, Cromwell, New Zealand   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Cromwell B&B and Inns
Cayman Islands
“Made to feel intrusive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Decided to give it a go after speaking to the owner, who assured me that the negative comments were not a true reflection. No...it was worse. The owner runs another business from home so had people coming and going then a gentleman caller arrived and it was soon obvious that I was in the way and felt very uncomfortable and took myself off to my room and stayed there. The garden is overgrown and gives an immediate impression of a property not being looked after. After much friendly smiling the next day the owner strongly suggested I write a glowing report on Tripadvisor - can't do that I'm sorry to say....couldn't wait to get out of there.

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Whilst traveling the South Island from Greymouth to Dunedin we needed a stop over in Central Otago and chose Cromwell to avoid the more touristy Queenstown, and Villa Rosa as a change from sterile hotels. We were not disappointed. We were given a very warm welcome, despite arriving early, and enjoyed a complementary glass of wine with our hostess in her sitting room. Our bedroom was very comfortable, with interesting art work, a separate little sitting area, a small but well appointed en-suite and our own private entrance through a beautiful garden.
After a good nights sleep we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast of porridge, homemade bread and fresh fruit.
The beauty of traveling is finding new places and meeting people who are interesting and interested in you too, and are happy to share a little part of their life with you. This was exactly that. If you are looking for a little piece of home on the road, you couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Monument, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We had a delightful stay at the Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast in Cromwell - nicely decorated bedroom with big updated bathroom and a lovely view into the beautiful garden surrounding the cottage (lovely flowers). The hostess was wonderful and helpful in every way possible - we felt right at home and were definitely pampered! The price of the room was a bargain for the area and amenities - close to Queenstown (half hour drive) but much less in price for what you would find in Queenstown. The breakfast was fabulous - thanks to Winsome for everything - we would definitely stay at Villa Rosa againA!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Wellington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

No one was home on the day I was booked to stay here & no one answered the phone, although it was after the stated check-in time. I waited outside accompanied by a cloud of flies, presumably attracted by the rotting fruit lying on the footpaths. After a few hours I went & booked alternative accommodation at the helpful information centre. When the B&B owner finally called me back, she grudgingly agreed to refund the 2 days I had prepaid, but she never did. There are plenty of better, friendlier places to stay in this lovely area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
WillsherCromwell, Owner / Operator at Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 28, 2009
This young womans brother and sister in law did stay that weekend with me and wrote in my guest book that everything was perfect.
I have apologised profusely and refunded all of her $100. However I acknowledge that the time on my Vianet site for booking in had gone back to the default position and was incorrect, it is now 4pm. It was a very hot day 35 degrees. The damage has been profound as she did not contact me untill she was at our local Information Centre and had made other bookings and I guess had the moral support of the office staff. I usually have a good experience with my B&B Guests, this has shocked me and got me thinking how can I attract people who will enjoy and appreciate my unique garden, household and surroundings in particular.
Derbyshire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2006

Happened on this place by chance and we were lucky to do so - beautiful small cottage property with a lovely garden in a quiet area of Cromwell. The owner is very welcoming and gave lots of help and advice on the locality.

The rooms were nicely decorated, with comfortable beds and television with DVD, etc. Breakfast was fab, but this is the rule in New Zealand.

One of the best things about it was the price - really reasonable. If you are visiting Queenstown , don't stay there and pay their silly prices, Cromwell is only half an hours drive away and its half the price!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!