This was our second time to the resort, but first time after Iberostar took over. Sadly, although the resort is still beautiful, service and organization of the resort is very bad. We have chosen this resort for our destination wedding and had 68 people coming with us of friends and family. Overall, our experience was just "ok", but not nearly as good as the first time when resort was "Royal Hideaway".
- The worst part was our check in. I still cannot understand how the hotel could screw it up, given the fact that they were aware of our arrival for a long time. Before our arrival I provided the hotel with detailed spreadsheet of all the guests, rooms needed, how many beds in each room required, which rooms needed cribs and etc. We also have requested to be put in bungalows 30 and 31 or at least closer to the lobby since we had children and older people with us. They warned us right away that they will try, but they do not guarantee. So, all our guests purchased "park side" rooms to at least ensure we are all on the same side. NEVER HAPPENED! First of all, half of our guests ended up in Spa section, including my mom, her room was 20 min away from mine and considering there are no bell boys ever available that walk is a killer! Why were not put all in park side,is still a mystery to me. Upon our arrival, our aunt and uncle did not even have a room, they simply missed them! And that's after they had all the info from me and Sunwing together. They actually asked our uncle and aunt if they even paid for the vacation, this was unacceptable. After our guests were given keys and their rooms, no one was there to point them at least in the direction of their rooms. Thankfully 6 of us have been to the resort before (Royal Hideaway) and we knew our way around, so we had to walk our guests to their bungalows. Our whole group was scared all over the resort, that was very disappointing that hotel did not even attempt to put us all closer together. Reception stuff speak very little English, which made things even more complicated. Our 82 year old grandmother was put in bungalow 29,which is long walk to the lobby, when we asked to move her closer, the answer was always the same "No rooms". After everyone got to their rooms, the "FUN" began. Single people were given king size beds, while couples were given two beds in the rooms, cribs were missing from rooms, there were a lot of problems with rooms, no working toilets, ACs were broken, shower doors were not closing, fridges were broken, out 29 rooms only 3 had working irons. So you can imagine how stressful it got. Few of our guests had to move to different rooms and nothing was offered to them as a compensation. One family, had to move 4 times!!!!!! due to hotel's fault, so hotel offered them one free 30 min massage and dinner at Villas, but that would not return their time wasted moving instead of resting!
- The hotel's operation is very disorganized, there is very poor communication between staff/departments if any. It seems that everyone is just doing whatever, without any guidance or direction. There are few staff members that tried very hard to make our stay nice and comfortable, but majority just do not care.
- Our wedding planner Yennis, tried her best to make our wedding special, and I am very grateful for that, but it is very hard to organize something with staff that simply disorganized. So, she has ran into few issues herself with trying to get things done. Our wedding day started with our hairdresser being one hour late, so as u can imagine most of my bridesmaids had to do their own hair. (If you are doing an updo, bring your own bobby pins and hairspray) Yennis had the car to take us tot he lobby from my room, but with the amount of people we had it was just too small for us, but at least we had that. Our lawyer was 45 min late, so our guests had to sit in the heat all that time. The staff did not even offer water for them. The reception was nice, probably the only highlight of our stay. They met all our requirements and we were very pleased. The only thing, I was hopping that hotel would provide some extra services for us (like dancers) or give us a break on price for somethings considering the amount of people we brought to the resort and all the problems we faced when arrived, but that never happened.
- We stayed at the resort for two weeks, and we received letter from Brenda saying that they would like to upgrade us to Villas for our second week, but that was not an option for us, since we had guests from overseas staying with us for full two weeks. Nothing else was offered to us. It would be nice of Brenda to meet us personally and maybe apologize in person for all the troubles, but that never happened either. We also had some things included with our wedding package, like massages, separate rooms for the night before the wedding nothing was offered to us. I went to spa myself and asked if I am eligible for massage, so they gave me one.
- Beach was wonderful and we enjoyed it a lot, beach staff is great, especially Yosmil and Omarey (sorry if I am spelling it wrong). Only problem we had, once you are at beach buffet, be careful around fruit section. One day, a wooden fan cover just fell on our toes, it was painful. We pointed it out to staff, but only got a sorry, we checked it few days later it was not fixed.
- Food overall was good, good selection. Few of our guests got sick, but everyone has different stomachs. We were fine . Drinks are great as well, especially in the lobby bar. We really liked Yonny (again sorry if I am spelling it wrong) from cigar bar, he really went extra mile for us. Disco bar, Orlando was very good and professional, so thank you!
- I feel that bell boys service really needs a huge improvement, resort is very big and not everyone is fit enough to walk so much. I personally do not mind long walks, but we had older people and families with kids that just had a lot of problem with distances. At the end of our trip, we called for a car to take us to the lobby with suitcases 3 times, no one ever came, so we just walked for 15 minutes to the lobby with suitcases. Rooms need to be tuned up/renovated. Resort is very beautiful, and I really hated to see that is fading away, getting old and nobody is taking a proper care of it.
Unfortunately, we probably will not be coming back at least until some improvements are done to the resort. It's just not worth the money to go in my opinion. We stayed at Barcello just around the corner from Iberostar 2 years back, and it was almost as good, but for a lot less money. We still loved the grounds and the beach, but service was bad and we were hopping that hotel would be more accommodating for such a large group, but it did not seem like anybody cared at all. Again huge thank you to Yannis, our wedding planner, for all her help!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.