“Great vacations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Ensenachos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Ensenachos
Iberostar Ensenachos
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Villa Clara, 52700, Cuba (Formerly Royal Hideaway Ensenachos)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
Boucherville, Canada
“Great vacations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My spouse and I just spent 2 weeks in December (8-22), at the Iberostar Ensenachos.
This trip was our third visit to this hotel, once at the time of Royal Hideway and twice with Iberostar.
The Iberostar team really made a big difference!!
Breakfast and lunch served at the buffet were excellent and more than adequate, the food was always fresh with a full of variety (fish, lobsters, shrimps, tuna, meat, etc…)
The restaurant La Punta Del Pirata was excellent with food and service.
Dining at the ‘’Gourmet/Colonial’’ restaurant was fantastic, very private, quiet, again with excellent service and great food.
Room- Super, perfectly located, cleaned to an exceptional standard and mini bar filled each day to whatever request you have asked to your maid at the start of the holiday.
No fault what so ever, maids left beautiful arrangements with the towels which was a nice touch.
The vegetation is mature and luxurious, groomed by the gardeners who take great proud of it!
The beaches Megano and Ensenachos are so beautiful they look like aquariums with star-fish.
The weather was perfect, 14 days of sun, both the beaches and pools were very relaxing and best of all there are no shortages of chairs!
The water-park, the family pool and the kids club are a big plus!! We had a lot of fun there with our 4 years old grand-daughter, she loved it!!
Public areas such as toilets, lobby bar are very clean.
Great entertainment everywhere; at the beaches, at the pools and at the lobby bar with symphonic orchestra, magician, live band etc….,
All shows presented in the auditorium were extremely professionals even better than a lot of cruise’s shows that we saw.
The service was amazing from the moment we arrived to the day we left.
We could not be more pleased with the staff, we were pampered by everyone!
If there was anything we wanted we got it.
A nice touch from the management!
A huge thank you to all the staff at this hotel, great people!!
A special thank goes to Stefano extremely professional and a kind person.
We will definitely stay at Iberostar Ensenachos to our next trip to Cuba.
This hotel is amazing it really deserved a 5 STARS rank.
Manon & Richard

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Mrs. Mannon and Richard,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Ensenachos for your so valuable vacations.

Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards

2,684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We travelled to Iberostar Ensenachos from Dec 27, 2012 until January 3, 2013. This resort is immaculate! Very well kept, the pools and rooms are great! We stayed in the Spa Section, in Villa 27. This resort is very spread out, so be warned! Definitely bring a beach bag to tote all your stuff! We found packing our stuff in the morning meant we didn't have to travel back and forth too much. Ensenachos Beach was our favourite, and the beach bar made the best mojitos.
One big downside for us was room service, it was unreliable even if you got through to put in an order. We were actually laughed at by reception when we phoned to enquire about the status of our order. After waiting 2 hours, when we were estimated 35 minutes, was frustrating. Not to mention we were already hungry, and the buffet wasn't open yet. I know they work on "Cuba Time" (lol), but when I'm hungry this wasn't good!
This definitely didn't ruin our trip by any means! The beach was beautiful, the restaurants were delicious! Definitely worth it to check out the Mediterranean, and the Japanese! The steakhouse was closed for reno's while we were there, but heard it was the best so far!

We booked through Sunwing, and have had all kinds of issues with their customer service. Our direct flight on the way home was made into a stop in Regina, and both flights were delayed. My biggest problem is that they do not honor their price drop protection guarantee. In the future I will go out of my way to book with other companies.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and less musty than our friends on the first floors. Also, try and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear DanielZ,

Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff. The highlight on behalf our room service we will take into consideration so we can give a better service.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have been visiting Cuba since 1998, and having just returned from the IBEROSTAR Ensenachos on December 27, 2012, I consider myself a pretty reliable and unbiased source of information for this resort. This is my third visit to the island, the first time since under the Iberostar brand (the resort was better known as Royal Hideaway Ensenachos when it was run by Occidental Hotels & Resorts).

Before anything else, I would like to address some general myths I have either read or heard about Cuba.

First, I can say that the food in Cuba is really good, fresh and full of taste. Please do not trust reviews that prefer peanut butter for breakfast and burgers for lunch over a fresh fruit smoothie, nutritious organic egg omelet, crunchy hand-made waffles or soft french crepes, juicy beef, roasted lamb, succulent lobster, garlic-spiced jumbo shrimp and calamari, or oregano-spiced pasta with aged Parmesan. Yes, most of the food is seasonal, so there isn't always tropical fruits like mango, guava, papaya or melon on the menu. However, they do manage to substitute well with oranges and grapefruit, even with apples and pears. The food can sometimes be plain, but remember that a lot of people are not allowed to eat salt or sugar for medical reasons, and there are plenty of spices to suit everyone's taste.

Second urban legend, that while on Cuba, you are dealing with “communists”. So wrong, so far from the truth. If anything, from your booking to landing back to Canada, you are dealing with capitalist companies, trying to increase their profit out of your vacation whenever they can (minimizing your luggage, cutting down on food during the flight, less leg space...). What you get from Cuban “commies” is actually the hospitality and warmth of the Cuban people, and unspoiled paradise beaches.

As for the trip I just came from, we arrived by an early morning Sunwing flight at Santa Clara airport. Three hours later (the trip via picturesque towns and the seaway is a story in itself), the bus dropped us in front of the Iberostar Enscenachos hotel. The check-in went smooth, and upon settling down in our room, we went to the buffet lunch.

It did not take us long to realize that the resort's services, food, drinks, arrangements and surroundings have been all scaled down. For example, there was only a tiny flower bed in the lobby where there used to be high and glamorous flower ornaments under Occidental. Almost all the a-la-carte restaurants menus and servings have been partially replaced with buffet self-serving. This is particularly a pity for the Italian one. No concierge service in the Spa Area. The facilities and room maintenance have been kept to a minimal, we had problems with air-conditioning for two days. A mechanic did fix it on the second night. I heard other people complaining about not having hot water and so on. The piano should have been left in front of the Lobby Bar as a feature, not pushed into unimportance at the back of the room. Tropical storm Sandy did significantly damaged both beaches, however the company could have started rebuilding the sunshades or removing tree debris. The old transport to and from the Ensenachos Beach has not been resolved yet. Having said all that, the Ensenachos Beach is still one of the most beautiful beaches in all of the Caribbean, and even with these changes, we would still return to the resort for the beach. There are definitely some improvements: a new restaurant on the Megano Beach, more sunshade, more regular waiter service on the Ensenachos Beach and a children's water park.

The highlight of my stay was an exceptional and grand Christmas Evening. Although more modest then previous years (as per testimonials of 11 returning guests), it still brought back the luxury this resort was and is still famous for. They served refreshing Rocamar champagne rose, plenty of seafood including lobster, various roasted meats, Spanish cheeses, with plenty of cheerful music performed by an enthusiastic orchestra.

I also enjoyed playing tennis with the court custodian Reno, a professional tennis player, who finally managed to correct my swing a day before my departure.
This place definitely needs a very good Operations Manager to run the place by the luxury standards it deserves.
Based on my addiction to beautiful sandy beaches and questionable experiences with other Caribbean destinations (Mexico, Dominican…), I will most likely go back to Cuba this year, and Cayo Ensenachos is definitely very high on my travel list. I have realized it is the beaches and not the hotel I am returning for, and as long as they maintain the beaches as a focus, guests will come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Lettersfromcanada,

First of all we wan t o Thank you so much for taking part of your time and write us about your recent stay at Iberostar Ensenachos, we appreciate all your comments, we love that you have been a wonderful stay here among us, we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home.
As per the problems that you have with the a/a let me inform you that we are just waiting for new chillers to exchange the ones that we are having problems. Also for this year its a high plan of maintenance at the hotel so we will try to solve almost all details that with the operation are coming out day by day.
We hope to have you again among us in the future.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

5 of us (3 adults, 2 kids) stayed here over Christmas week.

We’d requested adjoining non-smoking rooms within close walking distance of the main building as my mother sometimes has shortness of breath and her knees can give her problems. We got non-adjoining, smoking rooms in building 23, which is almost as far from the main building as one can get in the Spa Suites area. So much for special requests – 0 for 3. At first the room smelled like an ashtray and they said they could consider moving us the following day (we got into our rooms after 2 AM), but after turning on the air conditioner and fans it didn’t smell too bad by morning and we decided we could stay.

Rooms: The air conditioning didn’t do a good job of dehumidifying the room at all. We hung our clothes in the closet and hung up our wet towels each day, but things just seemed to never dry out. We left the fan on when we were not in the room to help circulate the air. Dry clothes that we hung in the closet or put in drawers felt damp for a while after being worn until body heat or the sun dried them out. Towels and swimsuits would never dry hanging in the room and dried only marginally better outside (our patio was shaded most of the time and there was little wind except for our last day). Because they would never dry, towels needed to be changed more often than might otherwise be the case or they would start growing bacteria and get smelly. Towel changes were another problem. The maids would often take towels without replacing them and we had to go several days without facecloths. At first we wondered if this was incompetence on the maids’ part (or maybe us not leaving a big enough daily tip), but later discovered the resort had a general shortage so the maids couldn’t be faulted. One day, our bath and beach towels were quite wet so we left them on the bathroom floor for replacement. We came back that night to find no bath towels, beach towels, or face cloths – only two hand towels. My son used a hand towel for a shower. We called to get towels and they said they’d send someone. After a hour of waiting up for the towels (from 10 to 11 PM), we called again and were told to wait. Then housekeeping phoned to explain they had no towels. I asked how we were supposed to have showers the next morning as we were getting up early for the Dolphin and Snorkeling excursion. They sent someone to raid another room for towels for us, but only two sets, so the next day, we had to use one of our own beach towels from home. The rooms had two double beds. My wife and I shared one and my son had the other. In our other room, my mother and daughter each had a double bed. The mattresses were not great and the bedding was perpetually damp due to the air conditioning’s inability to dehumidify, but we were tired enough each night to sleep pretty well anyway. Soap was never replenished. With 3 people in the room, our shower bar disappeared half way through the week and we ended up using the shower gel we’d brought with us. The bar at the sink became waterlogged sludge. Curiously in our other room, the bar was super hard and would not lather.

Amenities: The pool areas were great. The Spa Suites pool area was generally very tranquil and a good place to sun, have a drink, and read except for the odd time drunken rowdies played volleyball. The loungers and cushions were comfortable. The pool side restaurants had pretty good food and service. On some days the lounger cushions were already set up on all loungers but on other days, with a different attendant, you had to ask the attendant to set one up for you, so you felt obliged to tip. The resort also had a pool hall which stank like a dirty ashtray and had long bench seating with disgustingly dirty, smelly, ripped upholstery. I told my kids not to sit on them. The pool balls looked like they’ve never been cleaned and one table was missing some balls. The pool table felt was way past due for replacement as were the queue tips. My kids still played there a couple of nights with other kids they’d met. In my opinion, the pool table area should be closed until fixed up and made clean. Light bulbs seem to be in short supply or are poorly monitored. It seemed an inexcusably high number of pathway bulbs were out for the entire week. There was a complete outage of pathway lighting one night (but no where else), which was an issue for my elderly mother (thank goodness for the full moon).

Beaches: Both Megano and Ensenachos Beaches were outstanding. Megano Beach, being the closest to the Spa and Park Suites areas, seemed the busiest and had a beachside bar and restaurant. The watersports area also borders Megano Beach. You could get a shuttle to the west or east end of the long Ensenachos Beach from the main building entrance, but often had to walk back (or wait a long time for a ride). Ensenachos beach has a bar at each end, but the west bar is in the exclusive Grand Village area, so probably wasn’t accessible to Spa Suites people like us. The east bar served drinks only, no food. It was much easier to get a sheltered chair on the less busy Ensenachos Beach. We generally preferred Ensenachos Beach. Ensenachos had clearer water, better snorkeling (more fish and such, particularly on the west end of the beach near Grand Villages), and was less busy. The only drawback to Ensenachos was no food at the bar (possibly different for Grand Village patrons at their bar – I don’t know). On the westernmost end of Megano Beach where the beach shade shelters are, the water is pretty cloudy and not that interesting for snorkeling, though that is where most people swim. It is much less crowed and has clearer water on the east side of Megano Beach (turn right as you reach the beach at the end of the long boardwalk). There is also a barge wreck about 200 metres offshore of Megano Beach’s east side that is a good little snorkeling location. The wreck has clear water, good coral, and fish that seem quite curious about snorkelers. It is a long swim out without fins, but good exercise (I tried with and without fins). I saw large starfish on the swim out and back. Due to offshore reefs, the water was very calm all week except our last day, when the wind produced 1 to 2 foot waves.

Entertainment: There was pretty good entertainment in the lobby and theatre every night. We only went to the theatre twice, but visited the lobby nightly for before and after dinner drinks and conversation. The piano bar off the lobby was a non-smoking refuge if the smokers and noise in the lobby became too much.

Food: Though we never starved, it would seem to be true what they say about the food being mediocre at Cuban resorts if this resort is any indication. The Italian and Japanese restaurants had excellent service and food, but the buffet restaurant often served murdered (overcooked) meat unless you waited for it to be cooked in front of you (I recommend the fish and fresh omelettes in the buffet restaurant). The buffet restaurant also had fresh made donuts (straight from the oil) on half the mornings we were there. These were delicious, but I did my best to resist most mornings. The seafood restaurant at the beach was largely out of deserts the night we were there and took those remaining away before we had a chance to get one (we had an 8:30 seating). Whole grain breads seemed non-existent until the last two days we were there. Their local ketchup is terrible, as were the fried hamburgers and hot dogs at the beachside restaurant.

Service: Generally outstanding and friendly. About the only exception the housekeeping manager who seemed to think it unreasonable that I would insist upon towels to shower with the next morning since they had none clean (until they raided empty rooms that is). We left tips of 2 pesos a day for housekeeping, 1 peso for a drink order, 1 to 2 pesos for breakfast or lunch and 5 for dinner. We also left housekeeping a gift of Canadian maple candy on Christmas day.

Cleanliness. OK, but not remarkable. There were a couple of nights we had some sand in our bed and on the mats between the beds after housekeeping had visited (do they throw the sheets on the floor before sweeping and making the beds?). The walls were dirty and had mildew in spots. Some building exteriors showed significant mildew (main building especially). The resort seemed to run out of paper towels everywhere for about two days, when public area washroom towel dispensers were filled with toilet paper, which of course disintegrates in wet hands.

Diving: Don’t know. Didn’t get to go. My son and I are avid divers. I’d heard diving availability in holiday weeks might be lacking, with some only getting to go 1 or 2 days when they would have preferred 4 or 5. We tried to book before we left Canada through Sunwing, but that is one excursion that cannot be booked in advance. We brought all our SCUBA gear to Cuba, but once at the resort, were told by the excursion staff there was no availability for SCUBA (“Eeempossible” we were told). We checked back every day for a cancellation so we wouldn’t have brought all our gear for nothing, but were unsuccessful. We were very disappointed. In the future, I will be more careful to ensure I get a resort where I can actually go diving, as this is a big and important part of any Caribbean vacation for us. We went on the Dolphin and Snorkeling excursion, which was excellent. I got the impression from that that the diving was probably good too. Hopefully I’ll be able to find out someday.

Overall: We really enjoyed our stay. We had plenty to eat, enjoyed the entertainment, loved the beaches, and found the staff very pleasant and friendly. This is no 5 star resort, however – even by Caribbean standards. The food and cleanliness standards are at best mediocre. If this is a Cuban 5 star, be aware that means about a 3 by North American standards. I’ve only been to three places in the Caribbean and so would probably want to visit some others before returning to Cuba, but this was a good option when bringing the entire family as Cuba is a fairly inexpensive destinations for Canadians. I’d probably never go again at Christmas, however. You definitely don’t get good value considering how much they jack up the prices at that time of year.

Room Tip: Convert enough currency to have lots for tips. About $450 Canadian was enough for the five of us fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ontraveler_8,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction. As per the room request we try to fulfilled all of them but when it is high season it is very difficult to accompplished everyone. Building 23 as a very good location as it is infront of Meganos pool and 3 building far away main lobby. I feel so sorry for the inconveniences that you have encountered with the maid service, I will keep an eye very close in order to avoid further inconveniences. We will take your remarks into consideration for our next plans as the teene club where will be allocated the pool table.
If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Stettler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

If going to Cayo Santa Maria Cuba make sure you stay at this lovely resort-well kept grounds,
clean-lovely towel art, Food good. I say this because it is rated as a 5 star but should be higher
if compared to Memories next door. We had a flight delay and after a long night sleeping on the
floor in a Cuba airport we were bused back to Memories to sleep for the day and fly out that
night. Memories was not a pleasant experience. The grounds were not maintained, food not
good-very run day. This is rated as a 5 star but should be more like a 3. Also keep in mind
that the bus trip from Santa Clara airport is one hour and forty five minutes, Our travel book says
55 minutes-noticeable when taking tours or flight delays and are bused backed. Glad we
had this delay to experience Memories where we appreciated our travel agent picking a very
good resort, friendly and went out to make us comfortable

Room Tip: If you dont like all the walking go to front of lobby and they will be more than helpful to give yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear traveler1907,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed on a second-floor room in the Adults-Only "spa" area. This side of the resort was pretty quiet, maybe somewhat due to the lower demand at the start of the season (just before Xmas). In fact, between the room's air conditioning, the beautiful foliage outside our balcony, and the fountain in the middle of the courtyard, it was a white noise paradise.

The beach was gorgeous and we found a little spot away from the main crowd, where we could still sit in chairs and watch the pelicans hunt and generally survey the action (catamarans, swimmers, generally laid back crowd).

I was surprised at how many people bring young children (in the Main area of the resort), but they were generally well-behaved and the resort is so well taken care of and so spread out, it's really a cut above so many of the others we've been to.

Our room, a junior suite, exceeded what we expected with a large bathroom, & very spacious with a large walk in closet.

We also found the food great and as usual only booked the a la carte evenings in the restaurants a couple of times for variety. The buffet is generally a better bet for flexibility & food. The dining area is very large and elegant and more removed from the fray of the buffet than many other resorts. I won't list the many great things about the buffet. If you're looking for cartoonishly "6 star over the top" buffet then you could be 'disappointed', and seasonally they will not have as many local green veg and fruits in Dec. - but you can always find a huge selection if you work at it. Fresh caught tuna and fish, grilled to order, would be all many people need. Have this or any number of other choices.

Don't bother with the gym until they renovate it -- you should be outside anyway. Service here was either overly attentive or completely passive with the guy watching soccer on a break from the spa. Either way, annoying to have a staff presence that is a rather unhelpful one for a tiny little gym. (One of the few annoying things about the resort, so many other good things to say, they far outweigh this.)

We enjoyed a couple of side trips - powerboats + snorkeling, and a mountain hike (3.5 hr. bus ride for the latter, but worth it).

It seemed like everyone -- guests and staff alike -- were in pretty good spirits. We had a great experience and felt the need to tell you about it, to balance out any unjust reviews that may pop up. This place is *very well kept* with *beautiful* grounds, and it is not old. The fact that it is somewhat established just makes it prettier.

Room Tip: You owe it to yourself to try the Adult Only section if you do not have children. Here, the pool and...
Dear Andrew G,

We would like to thank you for taking your time to express your opinions and thank you for letting us know. Our clients’ comments are very important to us and we sincerely value them. They will assist us in better serving our guests in the future. I will make sure that this comments get all the departments at the resort.
We hope to have you again among us.

Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were at the Iberostar Ensenachos Dec.09-16th for our first visit to this resort. Have been to Cuba 15 times & by far this was our best holiday. The resort grounds are beautiful & well maintained. The beach’s are the best we have seen – easy to walk on & shallow for a good distance. The staff were very friendly & always greeted you with a smile. This was the first resort who replied to us regarding our room requests. Very professional & they did meet our requests.
We stayed in the Park section Bldg # 41 – located close to the main pool & walkway to the beach. The room was large & well appointed. No issues at all with the room. The food selection was the best we have experienced in Cuba. Lots of variety at the buffet & lunch restaurants. The Seafood a-la-carte was very good.
We hope to bring our grandson next time as he would really enjoy the water park/play ground – nicest facility we have seen in Cuba.
Will definitely return to this resort. Lives up to the 5 star rating

Dear Pntario Geordigirl,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us, will be always a pleasure to have you here with us.

Wish you all the best,

IBEROSTAR Ensenachos

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!