“Excellent fun experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mermaid & The Cow Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scotsburn
The Mermaid & The Cow Campground
You added The Mermaid & The Cow Campground to your Saves list
1370 Scotsburn Rd, R.R. #1 | West Branch River John, Scotsburn, Nova Scotia B0K 1R0, Canada   |
Naples, Florida
“Excellent fun experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I absolutely recommend this ideal spot. It is so scenic, so peaceful, so clean, and reasonable too.
The campground exceeded any expectations I had. The owner is 100% genuinely kind and helpful.
I adored the heated pool and glorious views , walking paths, a stream, and farm setting. I wish I'd stayed longer.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My partner and I stumbled onto this gem in 2012 when all the "regular" campgrounds were packed for the New Glasgow music festival. Being LGBT friendly (friends and family), we felt we would be comfortable, and we received the warmest welcome we have ever gotten at any of the dozens of campsites we have stayed at in Canada. The location is lovely, the facilties are above and beyond, and Jane and Susan are the greatest. Excellent value to boot. Plus, for those with kids, it is a working farm, and not far from a great beach and golf. This year, it was a "destination" and we came from Toronto. There is also a really cute cottage, a pool, a huge screened in gazebo with electricity. They are set up for groups, too. You will NOT be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I don’t usually seek out LGBT venues but found ourselves at the M&C on a holiday weekend having a most fabulous time! With its pastoral setting this campground is a true getaway that revealed itself to be a productive birding spot as well.

And if you enjoy meeting interesting people, spend some time with Jane. She is a fascinating woman with a passion for life.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you are looking for a wonderful LGBT friendly campground, this is an excellent destination. Not LGBT? Not a problem. Jane and Susan invite all LGBT and LGBT-friendly campers into their multi-hectared living room and treat everyone to that famous Maritime hospitality the whole time you're there.

The campground is clean and well maintained with spacious sites throughout. It features a number of amenities including hot showers and a big old "gayzebo" to hang out in if the weather isn't to your liking or if you are just looking for a place to chill, watch movies or play one of the board games in the toy box.

There are special events, theme weekends and never a dull moment. And, if you order in advance, you might even score a dozen fresh eggs laid by the hens who hang around the house.

I have had only one experience at the Mermaid & The Cow, and it was a wet weekend indeed. That, however, didn't dampen my spirits for even a moment. It would take more than a bit of inclement weather to take away from the magic.

I have no hesitation in giving this campground a five-star rating all around.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We've been going to the Mermaid & the Cow to camp for 10 summers. It is a uniquely magical place, where you can pitch your tent under an apple tree, watch the moon rise over the mountains, relax and spend time with friends (or make new ones!).
In our view, it's the best of both worlds - you can enjoy the fun of sleeping in a tent under the stars while having access to hot showers, flush toilets, ice and firewood that you just stack and light. Voila! Instant campfire!
But the best part is the feeling of community and warmth that hosts Jane and Susan create for their guests. You can certainly spend your time on your own, but if you want to chat or just need to borrow some sugar...this is a place where you can just drop by your neighbours' campsite and strike up a conversation. After all, we probably already have something in common!
If you're lucky, you'll experience the delight of spending a couple of nights on your travels in this lovely setting.
But if you're as fortunate as we have been, you'll make friends that will become part of your life through the winters and summers that follow.
I appreciate the efforts and investments that Jane and Susan have made to continuously improve the campers' experience - like the screened-in gathering place (the "gay-zero") in which you can BBQ, play cards...or dance the night away. And I guess that making wi-fi available was inevitable - but I still tell folks that I'm "out of range" when I'm at The Mermaid & The Cow. Why ruin it by checking e-mail?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We had planned to tent camp here one night on our 10 day maritime road trip. We ended up not getting there till late, so we upgraded to the cabin instead and were delighted by Jane's hospitality and facilities. I slept on the futon on the screen porch watching the stars and my travel companion slept in the loft. We were amazed by the sky from the picnic table - more stars and shooting stars-than I've ever seen in my life.

Only thing we wished we had done differently on our maritimes trip would have been to stay here longer as a home base for day trips, as it is centrally located to most of the maritimes.

Jane is an excellent hostess and has a great rustic spread.

• Stayed August 2012
Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Camped on the July long weekend. Met many quality people. Jane and Susan are gems and very accommodating. Fantastic weekend, great dances!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mermaid & The Cow Campground? Share your experiences!