We arrived on the 28th after a hectic Christmas and the Royal Lodge was a perfect antidote to a damp London. The location was stunning, the staff were incredibly friendly and we were made to feel very welcome.
What struck us in particular was how passionate everyone was about the hotel, the area and us as guests.
We ate in the restaurant every night and the food was good, a little on the pricey side for the area, but nicely presented and tasty.
The NY eve ball was a hoot, again great food, fireworks, music and bad dancing. Watching the pouring rain under the porch the next day was a really good hangover cure (with lots of strong coffee!)
Don't expect Hilton levels of anodyne luxury, this is an ex hunting lodge after all. The rooms are though comfortable, well looked after and clean. If you do want a relaxing break in beautiful surroundings, with great people then we cannot recommend the Royal Lodge highly enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, England