My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights courtesy of a Wowcher offer and I have to say it's one of the nicest places we've stayed at. The staff are all very helpful and friendly and the hotel is warm and welcoming.
Our room was clean and tidy but, without sounding derogatory, tired. However, the wonderful view over the river more than made up for any short-comings. It was a comfortable room and we had no real complaints.
We ate at the restaurant both evenings and the food was good both nights. Our only minor criticism was with the portion sizes. They were very generous which does make a welcome change but we struggled to eat it all. They quality of dinners was nice and there are no complaints here. Breakfasts were also equally fine. Plenty of choice to be had too.
Overall, I'd be more than happy to go back and we hope to certainly do so perhaps when the weather is warmer and be able to take in more of the beautiful scenery.
If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful weekend break then look no further.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, England