After visiting so many times we are often asked by family and friends what make "The Saracens Head" so special for us to keep returning so the following may be of interest to you.
We have now stayed at The Saracens Head in Symonds Yat 4 years in a row, a week each time. "Sad" I hear you say, but no, we return because we know we could not find better if we went else where. Don't get me wrong, we do go else where too!
Our first time there was 27 years ago when my husband and I first met and we chose to return, 2006, once our children were old enough to fend for themselves at home for a week whilst we were away. Our first holiday, just the two of us, in 20 years.
Don't get me wrong, errors can be made (I still say my husbands error though, booking a twin rather than a double room!!) When we arrived we were given a twin room, and not a double. I was very upset and a double room for a week was not available! We were offered a transfer to the sister hotel up the lane but even though very nice as well, we wanted to stay at the Saracens Head. Eventually we were told if we could handle the inconvenience of living out of our suitcase we could have a double room after our first night (delightful twin room) but would need to change each day, the staff would move our bags on our behalf. We stayed in most rooms (all facing the river, bright and airy) so can more than most people recommend many of the rooms instead of just the one. We like to stay in the room we were in 27 years ago but with a few more pennies to spend or a special occasion you could do no better than stay in the boat house, a suite with jacuzzi bath, satellite TV, dining area and seating area, balcony etc. Jacuzzi bath in 2 suites, satellite TV in all rooms.
It is a family run hotel and the staff are all great, polite, courteous, helpful. From the cleaners, rooms spotless and towels changed regularly, ample supply of biscuits, tea, coffee, sachets etc. Bar staff, even at rush time they find the time to be polite and on hot days they are BUSY but not too busy for you. Breakfasts are fantastic, plenty to choose from (made for the individual requests) and PLENTY for everyone. We find we don't need, or rarely need, to eat at lunch time as we are so full. (Great bar food/ snacks available at lunch time). A good walk is recommended and the staff, all the staff, are always helpful with recommendations on things to do, places to visit etc. We choose to eat here in the evenings too. We love the food- either outside on the verandah, in the bar but best in the dining room. The quality of the food/ wine and service is always outstanding. Many times we have heard other dinners say that their meal was the best they have had anywhere. My husband says the beer from the "Wye Valley Brewery" is excellent.
We have recommended a stay or just to eat to so many of our friends, neighbours, family.
YOU COULD NOT ASK FOR BETTER...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Saracens Head Inn has stood for centuries in its spectacular position on the east bank of the River Wye where the river flows into a steep wooded gorge, on the edge of the Forest of Dean. Popular with walkers, cyclists, canoeists, fishermen and fans of good food and real ales, the Inn has a relaxed ambiance throughout, from the flagstone bar to the cozy lounge and stylish dining room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Saracens Head Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Saracens Head Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Saracens Head Inn Symonds Yat, England