“Do not spend your money here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Symonds Yat East Campsite

Symonds Yat East Campsite
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Symonds Yat
Symonds Yat East, Symonds Yat, Ross-on-Wye HR9 6JL, England   |
Hull
“Do not spend your money here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I visited the campsite as part of a group, but as I was with my wife and young children, I booked one the static caravans.
Their website states that the caravans offer a touch of luxury. The caravans are far from luxurious; they are old, thread bear in places, damp, mould on the curtains, water heater was leaking in one and the fire was not working in the other. At the time of our visit the gas appliances were out of test.
When the area of concerns were brought to the attention of the site owner, Paul, who said 'Well, these caravans are good enough for canoeists and things do get a bit mouldy in the country'.
When I complained the campsite saying ‘ your caravans were some of the most grotty and ill-maintained I have had stayed in anywhere in the UK for many, many years’. My statement was not challenged but the campsite did offer a partial refund, which I declined.
Of the party of who camped, they reported the toilet block did not appear to have been cleaned over the weekend.
Booking in was messing about, the site wanted everyone to check in at between 5pm & 6pm. Not easy an easy task, if you have a journey of 200 miles to get there.
I am not aware any of my party who plan to return to this campsite.
The area is great and there is a lot to do, but do yourself a favour and choose somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SYECAMPSITE, Manager at Symonds Yat East Campsite, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Whilst we always encourage our guests to provide us with feedback we are somewhat taken back by this review.

The Review is factually incorrect.

Our customer was not happy with the caravan as it was not to their liking! Its seems that a little poetic writing has occurred here.

No mention of the 3 Bedroom Holiday cottage that was offered and provided for the weekend as well as a 50% discount to try and make sure that the customer was happy and content.
It is unfortunate that whatever we provided or tried to do for this customer it was not going to be good enough.

Over all a very untrue and unhelpful review.

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Daventry, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Easter 2012. Took my two boys for an adventurous week in this beautiful part of the world. The site is basic but the toilets were clean and tidy and most importantly for us was that after getting cold and wet on the River Wye, (which the site is on), the showers were continually hot! The staff were welcoming and friendly. I don't know what people expect from a camping site but this suited me and my boys fine. If you want a club house and heated swimming pool then this is not for you! But if you want a level place to pitch your tent with decent toilets; excellent hot showers and be able to launch you canoe/kayak from the this is ideal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed here in early Sept 2011 with a group of friends. The site is a bit on the small side but this isnt too much of an issue. When we stayed (10 of us = seven tents) there were also two other large groups with all their kit and vehicles. Still plenty of room on the field and didnt feel like it was too crowded. The toilet and shower facilities were fine and fully functional. The staff that we dealt with were helpful and polite. We all found the £30 noise bond a little odd, however we were warned well in advance and just made sure we kept the noise down beyond 11 pm.
We did canoeing the following morning with the on site canoe company (same folks that own the site I believe). We had an excellent few hours on the river and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. I will be back with the family.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
SYECAMPSITE, Manager at Symonds Yat East Campsite, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
We like to thank guests for their comments/feedback.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently improving the site once again for next year.

We do unfortunately have to use a noise bond in order to help all of our guests get a good nights sleep. We make sure all prebooked groups are notified upon booking and again in their confirmation. As you can see it works very well.

Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Midhurst, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

When I booked the campsite I was told that we would be asked to pay a £30.00 noise bond on arrival. This seemed reasonable for a party of ten. When we arrived in the rain, I was told that the £30.00 charge was "per head". This meant we were expected to produce a total of £395.00 in cash immediately. Have just stepped out of a wet canoe into the middle of nowhere, I explained that I felt this seemed unreasonable. The response was that "The kind of people who say that are the kind of people who make lots of noise". This was accompanied by a smirk and a roll of the eyes from the schoolkid who appeared to be in charge. Before making a decision on whether or not to drive to the nearest cash point (which is miles away) I went to look around the site. It's just a grass car park.

I rang other campsites and thankfully managed to find an alternative. I would never stay at this place for any reason. The staff are rude, the pitches are crammed and you can get much more for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
We Like to thank our Guests for They're feedback / comments.

We do have a noise bond rule of £30 per head on any groups over 4 persons. We inform all parties of this on booking and also it is confirmed again with the confirmation we send out. It is also on our website syecampsite under terms and conditions.

we allow a fair amount of space for all pitches on our campsite and it is separate from the adjacent car park

Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

...can't see what some people are complaining about. The camp site is basic, granted, but surely people read reviews about sites they intend to stay at BEFORE they set out? Canoe/kayak hire side was absolutely great: excellent advice and help from qualified, professional staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SYECAMPSITE, Manager at Symonds Yat East Campsite, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Many Thanks for your Feedback.

We are very happy that you have enjoyed yourselves with us and also with the Adjacent Canoe Hire.

Hope to see You again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I can see that the site used to have problems from the reviews, but we had a different experience. The camp site was lovely, we got to camp right next to the river, quiet, but no one got any hassle for chatting. Lots of families as a well as a few bigger groups.

It was well run, though the warden's caravan wasn't well signed - they came and found us and nicely showed us where they wanted us to pitch up.
Our friends arrived late, but that wasn't an issue. Showers were warm, though i could see how they could get dirty, they have signs up asking people to not bring boots in.
They clearly told us that the group needs to pay on arrival, so we expected that.

Our boating and boat hire experience was good also, even though we were late back, they were friendly, and we really enjoyed the coaching on the second day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
We Like To Thank Guests for Their Reviews.

We are Very Pleased to hear you enjoyed yourselves with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We booked into this campsite for two nights at the beginning of August before we read the previous reviews on Trip Advisor, so were very apprehensive on the journey down. How anyone can call this a campiste is beyond me, we drove round the car park (as that's all I can descibe is as) and drove out again.
We stayed at Symonds Yat West at [--] - it was lovely - basic but just what we wanted and the staff were lovely too

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Symonds Yat East Campsite? Share your experiences!