“Extremely disappointed in restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

The Staff of Life
7 High Street, Ticknall DE73 1JH, England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Ticknall B&B and Inns
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointed in restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We were staying in the area, looking for property and drove by this charming building in Ticknall, which is idealic. Whilst we chose not to stay at the property we did go for a Saturday evening dinner there. We were so disappointed. It is beautiful inside but the service was dreadful. Got both our starter and main courses wrong (yes it is true), took cutlery away after starter and forgot to bring a new set. Took our order for dessert, gave us cutlery for that, then someone else took it away! They then forgot to bring our desserts. We went and complained at the bar, three times during the meal, due to slow service, and all these things, plus lack of pepper, salt etc and no-one asking if we would like extra drinks. All of this and the restaurant/bar was not that full. The young girl who was serving us really was too inexperienced and junior. It's a shame as we would have become regulars here, now we have moved down, but instead of taking family and friends to it - we avoid it. Such a shame as beautiful village and beautiful building and nicely decorated. Food was unmemorable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

On arriving at the Staff of Life, the young lady behind the bar was very welcoming and friendly and informed us of everything we needed to know. She then took us over our room, room 5. This room was amazing, beautifully decorated and very clean. Admittedly the room was advertised as £117 on the website but due to an IT issue when I tried to book online, I then had to book over the phone at a price of £120, this increase was something I wasn't informed of when I phoned! However, the room was well worth the price and the breakfast was very good and cooked in good time.

Although, I can not say the same for our evening meal the night before. The food took a long time before we got it. We were informed the starter would take 25 minutes to make as it was from fresh. The main course came after another 45 minutes and the pasta wasn't cooked properly and the steak and chips were pretty tasteless. However, the waitress apologised for the delay and we got a complimentary drink.

Over all most of the staff were lovely and helpful, including the manager. The youngest waitress is clearly not used to dealing with the public and I think she will only gain experience with age.
The Room and breakfast were well worth the money, and I would stay again, but would like to add that I wouldn't eat a main meal in there again.

Thank you for the lovely stay.

Room Tip: The two rooms newly decorated are more expensive but worth the money if you're willing to pay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Went here with a group of 5 for a Saturday lunch. The restaurant was busy. Upon receiving my main meal of mushroom gnocchi (which very surprisingly didn't have any actual gnocchi dumplings in it at all) I started eating and found every diners worst nightmare, a long black hair within the food. I called the waitress over who uttered a very surprised 'ugh' and took it back to the kitchen. They offered me another meal, which took about 20 minutes to arrive. At no point in this 20 minutes did the owner/manager come over, nor any other waitresses. In this time I actually sought out the manager who I didn't think had been told, only for her to interrupt me and tell me the food was being cooked fresh and that was why I was waiting so long - not even the slightest hint of an apology!

When my food eventually arrived I was offered a complimentary desert. When I received the bill, I saw they'd charged me for the replacement meal. I complained to the manager who had no idea why I didn't want to be charged for a meal which had originally had a human hair in it, and whose replacement took 20 minutes to arrive meaning I was eating on my own. Upon telling her I should also have had an apology from her, she simply told me she'd sent a waitress over to apologise, as if that was enough. This manager has NO CLUE in customer service.

I was disgusted frankly at the utterly unprofessional reaction to something that health and safety could potentially shut them down for, and the complete off hand manner in which I was treated. I wish I'd taken a photo and sent it to the health and safety authorities and let them deal with it.

Leaving with an entirely bad taste in my mouth, I overheard another table complaining they hadn't received their food in an hour, and I saw the same perplexed look by another very -untrained waitress who had no idea how to handle the situation.

Definitely would NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Ticknall hotels

home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Just to say our visit to The Staff of Life on April 20th was lovely. The staff were pleasant and helpful, our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The evening meal was delicious as was our breakfast. Kaye the landlady was friendly and we would like to say thankyou to her and all her staff for a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Sorry but the only other report I've submitted to TripAdvisor was very positive. My wife and I went here for lunch today. We both ordered a salmon, prawn and avocado starter which was fine if a little overpriced at £6.25. I then ordered a "Greek salad with chicken supreme". This consisted of a bed of green leaves (admittedly fresh), plus a few small slivers of red onion, a few equally small slices of tomato and some small cubes of fetta (sorry - we've run out of olives). On top was placed a small piece of roast chicken. The price for this delicacy - £10.25. This was undoubtedly the worst value I've had in pub food for many years.

I'm sorry but I could have gone to a pub chain and ordered chicken in the basket and had better quality for a fiver with chips thrown in.

This was certainly not Greek and certainly not supreme… Think I’ll stick to bread as the staff of life!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Steyning, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Went for lunch on Easter Sunday and place was nicely laid out. Good beer but limited wine list. Service ok, usual young people from the village. Food was ok but nothing special, didn't have the bad experiences of earlier reviewers. However, website says it's £12.50 for two courses on a Sunday lunch but they had increased it to £19.99 for the Easter weekend with no discernable enhancement to the menu. Left the place feeling distinctly ripped-off.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

A lovely looking pub from the outside on a very pleasant country lane and lots of parking.Inside a very old pub awaits with a modern feel and the staff were very welcoming.We were shown to an upstairs room above the pub which was beautifully decorated with all mod cons.Room had a large excellent bed and a really nice bathroom with power shower.Ate in the restaurant (not cheap but fairly priced) - very nice food...baked camenbert to share with bread to dip in followed by rump steak which was very tender and a Lamb tagine which tasted fabulous.Four real ales on the pump and a nice wine selection.Breakfast in the morning was very good and the owner was very chatty and attentive.I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: They are refurbing rooms one by one so ask for the newly refurbed ones!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Staff of Life? Share your experiences!