“excellent hotel, beautifully situated” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Parador de Monforte de Lemos

You added Parador de Monforte de Lemos to your Saves list
Parador de Monforte de Lemos
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza Luis de Gongora y Argote, s/n, 27400 Monforte de Lemos, Spain   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“excellent hotel, beautifully situated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Although aware of the reputation of Paradors, we chose this one from the foto. It's lovely, set at the top of the small town with views for ever, and very good food. The staff were friendly, the place was clean and felt as I imagine a top country house would, beautifully furnished but with very little sign of other guests or staff. The pool was a bit smaller than I expected but adequate, and the area was sheltered from the wind. We tried the great tasting menu in the restaurant, but couldnt decide what was best - the ambience there was sociable but not intrusinve in anyway. The town is small [but perfectly formed] and do beware of the hotel maps which are more like diagrams than specific directions to some lovely and historic local places.

Room Tip: We were given a room a the front which was cool in the morning but wonderfully warm and sunny after...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Hebrew first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We loved this beautiful parador on a hill overlooking the countryside - excellent service, great cooking and very quiet. The town below is a bit disappointing but the hotel can arrange side trips further afield. We only stayed one night but wished we had stayed another

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This was our last stop on a short tour of various Paradors and proved my favourite. A view shared by friends who had done a longer tour. We arrived earlier than others in the party and from the moment of arrival the service was exceptionally helpful and friendly. After a longish journey and a short walk we enjoyed an excellent light lunch with special requests all accommodated with pleasure. The local Almeda white wine was fantastic and certainly encouraged a lazy afternoon. Definitely service with a smile that was keen to please. The property is a glorious oasis with stunning views. Our room was straightforward but comfortable and we enjoyed a wonderful nights sleep after the chaos/noise of Santiago. The service in the evening was willing but some confusion with language barrier. Breakfast was excellent and again service spot on. Cocktails were generous and beautifully and individually prepared with intriguing fruit additions that proved popular with all. A disabled member of our party had a room perfectly suited to his needs and the overall property was user friendly on this front. I really enjoyed this place and at this time of year would heartily recommend as a great and relaxing getaway if you want some peace and quiet. The monks knew what they were doing when they picked this spot! I would certainly love to return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We booked into this hotel with a delightful young lady and were given a room with a views which was great. The room was clean but not spotless like we had become accustom to in all the other places we had stayed in Portugal and Spain.
There did not seem to any other staff in the hotel as we went to the spaw area and no one
the next mortning at breakfast (8:30) which was a massive display but on further look at it I think it was leftovers from some other time The bread was stale the cus fruit not fresh looking and all the hot items very cool and greasy and to make matters worse the lady working the room was sour and unfriendly. when she finally appeared and we asked for coffee and the only thing she said was room number and then disappeared.
the room must have been attached to a room with some kind of stairs and there seemed to be children running up and sown them until late in the night

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Nevada City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

We stayed at this wonderful Parador for 2 days in June. The view from the Parador is outstanding. But what makes this Parador a truly wonderful experience is the Staff. They are all very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good and so was the breakfast they offered. Beautiful rooms and great location. Just a short walk down the hill to town. Take a taxi back up to the Parador it's only 5 Euros from anywhere in town.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

This review is nearly a year overdue, but my wife and I stayed here for a short spell last May during a trip through Galicia. Monforte de Lemos happens to be my father's birthplace, and seeing as how we stayed at another parador on this trip, we thought this would be a great place to stay.

The first and most obvious feature of this hotel is its unbelievable location. It's location at Monforte's highest point makes it impossible to miss, although it's a good idea to consult a map on the drive in so you can find the route heading up the hill.

We found ample parking at the top, partly due to the fact that there is a small conference/business centre on the property site. Once we arrived, we checked in after a bit of a wait, and were pleased to see that this hotel has done an excellent job of retaining its historical character, something the Spanish chain of paradors does a great job with. Our room was spacious and our washroom was modern and clean. The view from the room wasn't earth shattering, but not everyone gets an a-one view!

We didn't take advantage of all of the services at the hotel as we were quite exhausted, but we heard good reviews of the hotel restaurant and can attest that the breakfast buffet was superb. If and when we return, we will definitely come back to this sleepy piece of history. Monforte may be a sleepy town, but the view from above is quite spectacular!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

This was my first time staying in a parador and I'm glad I stayed in this particular one. I was told by Spanish locals that the town is boring (understandably from their perspective as they've probably seen it all and it's typical to them) but I found Monforte charming and off the international tourist route which was what I wanted to experience. It was worth going out of my way to come to this town and stay in this Parador.

Monforte is a little out of the way but can be reached by ALSA bus (I came via Leon). The parador is not really walking distance from the town centre when you have luggage as it's on top of a hill so if you do not have your own transport, it is suggested you obtain the local taxi phone number from the hotel before arriving so that you can ring for a taxi to collect you from the bus/train station - though I'm sure the hotel can also arrange this for you if you ring them upon arrival.

Local Galician cuisine and wine is available in the restaurant which was where I ate all my meals during my 2 day stay. I have read mixed reviews regarding meals at Parador restaurants in general but I found this one to be nice, good service and an experience I would recommend.

I also suggest popping over to the town's tourist office first so that you can plan what to see and when (there are differing opening/closing times - typically Spanish!!) but there is definitely enough stuff to see and do in this (quiet) town to keep one occupied for at least a couple of days and there is cable TV (with english channels) in the hotel room. A wedding took place when I arrived at this hotel and that was a lovely site. There's a seemingly forgotten about private garden at the hotel if you want a short walk as well as spa, gym and small swimming pool (though I didn't use these facilties). There's also an internet computer for guests use but it was too slow.

Walking up/down the hill to/from the town you pass through tiny village lanes and remnants of medieval style stone walls - it's enchanting.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Parador de Monforte de Lemos? Share your experiences!