“very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Mataro
Timisoara, Romania
“very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have spent my honeymoon at Castel de Mata.
We deeply enjoyed our time there. Very nice stuff, the rooms were very nice and tidy, free facilities (internet, parking, pool), yummy breakfast (lots of choices), nice restaurant, sea view, lovely music. It really worth the money
The only inconvenient is that it is 10 minutes walk from the beach, out of the town (if you don’t have a car, as we did, it is not very fun coming in the evening, directly on the motorway, without any side-walk). Still, there’s a walking path connecting it to the town, next to the sea and railways, but I don’t think there’s any electricity light on it in the evening.
But all in all, it is a hotel I would definitely recommend and if we ever decide visiting again Barcelona I would choose it again. :) It

Room Tip: 'sea view'
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Our hotel cancelled on us at the last moment so staying in Castell was a very last min decision. We wanted to go to Barcelona for a quiet beach holiday. To get a tan and to relax away from England for the week. The hotel its self is fantastic. The desk staff are fab, very good at english and very willing to help with travel tips around Barce, calling taxis and general support you need when abroad. We arrived at mid day and were given a clean and tidy room, the hotel has no double beds but two large singles pushed together is there equiv. If you get a room at the back of the hotel with a pool view( and car park view included) simpily ask at reception for a sea view and you will get one. The sea views are fantastic. Breakfast is cold meat and crossants, not worth the 6.5 euro in my eyes but toast is avalible too upon request. We only tried lunch once and it was terrible, 15 euro for 3 courses and a glass of wine, very rude resterant owner smashing plates around and screaming at other staff when we requested a table 45mins before lunch closes. Very scary man! There are some great resterants in Mataro but to get anywhere out of the hotel you will need to get a taxi unless you want a very sticky and hot walk along a very busy duel carridge way, this walk will take you at least 50 mins and it is very dangerous. A taxi costs about 8 euro to Mataro village center and about 10-12 euro back. Use the taxi rank opoisit Mataro station they are cheap and all know where Castell is. Pool is fab huge with a small jacuzzi style pool on the side, outdoor showers and changing rooms too. If you do stay at Castell do not miss out on getting on the renfe train to Barcelona and also to callella which is a fantastic shopping village about 40 mins away from Mataro - Mataro to Barcelona will cost you roughly 7 euro return and from Mataro to Callella will cost you roughly 4.50 euro. Get on any train towards L'Hospitalet in order to go to Barcelona and any train that goes to Blaines in order to go to Callella. Its pretty hard to get lost on the trains. Very good smart hotel as long as you have plenty of euro to spend on getting to anywhere from the hotel - we visited Mataro every day for a week and spend 140euro between us just on the taxi fare.

Room Tip: If your not happy with the pool view request a sea view and they will be happy to help.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I arrived to this hotel after reading many opinions - I knew I should not expect miracles, but I still expected something correct. From the positive sides - nice terrain near hotel, lovely pool, good dinner (I had half board). To the beach you have to go through small and low tunnel, definitely not pleasant experience. Beach itself is stony and rough, not nice to lay on.
The air conditioning is noisy and blows directly on the bed, which is not pleasant. Furniture oldish and worn out. The decoration of the hotel is made mostly of antics - religious figures and pictures, so the atmosphere is a bit weird.

Poor breakfast - not much of a choice, no real coffee. But the thing that made me hate this hotel (I left after one night even though I should have stayed 3) is that in my room there was a colony of the bedbugs. They had a real feast on me during the one night I stayed there. The problem is I am allergic. I have over 50 bites all over the body, all red and swallen, and of course my holidays are completely ruined. After taking off the mattress I saw whole nest of moving insects. Yuk!!!!
To be honest after I complained I got another room, but after finding another dead bedbug in the new room I decided to leave immediately. They even offered me a suite, but I didn't accept.
Never again!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Mataro hotels

Adelaide River, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed in this hotel during a weekend in Barcelona.

I didn't realise it was so far out so the location on my part could have been better! Location of the hotel itself, it is very far out and a long long walk down a dual carriageway to the train station!
The town of Mataro is very spanish and we didn't come across any english people at all. The people seem nice enough although there isn't really anything to do so we went into Barcelona and spent the day there every day!

The hotel itself again is very spanish, no english people and the food is also very spanish, no english food on the menu.
You could not fault the cleanliness of the hotel and it's decor was lovely. The hotel is opposite the sea so we had lovely sea views on our balcony.

I wouldn't stay here again only becase it is so far out but it was a lovely hotel, just not for us.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pepignon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I cant believe how people can view a hotel so differently (reading your reviews) From best hotel they have stayed at to rat infested dirty place. We certainly had a great time. Clean rooms, maids were thorough and helped me with learning Spanish. Rooms spotless. I think next time we would stay with the view at the back over the gardens but neverthe less loved the sea views on the front. We are not beach people so cannot comment on this. We enjoyed watching Spanish football with the locals in the small bar and the restaurant served excellent food. Reception staff always willing to help with things to see and advise on our trip to Barcelona. Would certainly return to this lovely historical Hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

After viewing the photos and description on the website we believed this hotel was a quiet spa hotel overlooking the beach what it is however is a roadside motel.

The hotel is not situated on the beach but on a busy road, access to the beach is through a smelly, dirty, rat infested tunnel (a rat literally darted out in front of us as we tried to get through to the beach) even if we made it we couldn't really swim there as it was rocky, the beach with sand is half a kilometer down the busy road that has nowhere for pedestrians to walk.

Our room was old and filthy and had mold on the roof and on the wall.

Apparently there is free wifi but we could not get a signal for it from our room.

Room Tip: There is a fantastic restaurant called El 9 Celler just a couple doors down the road
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Henley on Thames
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

It is scarcely fair to base a review on one night in January, but this hotel has only a few reviews so it's better than nothing.
A good thing is that the hotel is very easy to find, though the map on the website is pretty useless. The hotel is in fact about a Km North of Mataro itself on the main coast road, the N11, so you really can't miss it. The building itself is set back about 40 m from the road but between the road and the sea is, of course the railway - the main East coast line - and trains are not infrequent. The receptionist was charming and recommended a mountain view room on the basis that it would be quieter and I couldn't see the sea anyway because it was already dark - good thinking! I went and looked at, and listened in a sea view room anyway, but then did the same in a mountain view room and agreed she was right. The sea view room had some degree of double glazing, but there were big patio doors opening onto a large balcony and the noise was certainly noticeable. The mountain view room was perfectly quiet.
The building itself is a somewhat indifferent example of maybe 1960s architecture - interestingly quite similar in many ways to the Panorama in Chania, Crete, which I have reviewed elsewhere, but much smaller. The owners have however filled the place with fairly convincing antique type artifacts (bizarrely my room had a set of English hunting prints on the walls - "Gone To Cover" and so on!) and the result indeed creates the impression of an ancient castle - all quite cosy and welcoming, even in winter.
I asked the receptionist how far it was to walk into Mataro itself , and she said it was about 1 Km but she made a face and suggested that it would not be very safe to do so in the dark. I took the hint and decided to eat in! The meal was perfectly OK but nothing special. Interestingly, this being a Saturday night, the restaurant was full of locals of a certain age all come for the dinner and the music and dancing which started at 11pm! This appeared to consist of a chap at an electric keyboard with an electronic beatbox, and fearing the worst I left before it started! I couldn't hear it at all in my room on the 3rd floor. Breakfast was again fairly basic.
The room was fine. The floor was tiled, but I was warm enough. The bed was a trifle too hard and the pillow too soft for my taste but such things are subjective. The bathroom was excellent - modern fittings, lots of marble (effect) and a plentiful supply of hot water.
All things considered the Castell De Mata was by no means a bad place to stay. I'm not sure about the safely of walking into the city in the dark. I didn't ask for details. There was no pavement, just the cycle lane to walk along so the receptionist might have meant that, but a few years ago I had the entire contents of my car stolen in broad daylight in Badelona, a few miles south, and she might have meant that walking would risk my personal safety. At least the route between the Ibis - also on the N11 but on the South side of town - and the historic centre of Mataro was all well lit by streetlamps, so if you want to walk into town for a meal that might be a better bet. But the Ibis would certainly lack the charm of the Castell De Mata. As usual - your choice!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Castell de Mata? Share your experiences!